Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wonderful New Cookbook

Wonderful New Cookbook 30 Jan 2006 19:58 #4299

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
[b:daeaa85da1]If you're getting tired of the Cycle Diet Recipes, look into this cookbook:[/b:daeaa85da1]
I have to say, as I walked through the 100's of wonderful booths at the ADA expo I purchased a fabulous new cookbook published by the [i:daeaa85da1]American Institute for Cancer Research [/i:daeaa85da1]called [b:daeaa85da1]"The New American Plate"[/b:daeaa85da1]
While at the booth I actually got to talk with one of the main writers of the cookbook, Jeffery Prince, who serves on the board of the American Institute for Cancer research. He also autographed my cookbook for me too (I thought I was doing him a favor by letting him sign it :wink: ). I just thought to myself it would be nice to purchase a new cookbook for myself, but I have to tell you it's one of the BEST cookbooks for the Cycle Diet that I've ever seen.

This cookbook is not only beautiful, but as I read through it, I have found not one recipe that wouldn't fit into the diet plan. This is the way everyone should be eating.
I highly recommend it to everyone who's attempting to change their diet and cooking style.

You can purchase it on-line through Amazon right now for around $16.00. I paid $19.00 and thought it was cheap at that price.

If you purchase it, let me know which recipes you try and we'll pass on the best of the book.

Wonderful New Cookbook 31 Jan 2006 15:17 #4300

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
Hi,

This is not from [i:e83bfb87ea]The American Plate[/i:e83bfb87ea], but it could be. For those of you on a vegetarian or gluten free diet. Give it a try and let me know if you like it.

[b:e83bfb87ea]Quinoa-Vegetable Salad[/b:e83bfb87ea]
Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) is a natural whole grain containing high quality protein and iron. It is available in health food stores and some supermarkets. If you can't find it, substitute 6 ounces of couscous or bulgar wheat; follow label directions for cooking. Take this to the next pot luck supper you attend. It will be a welcome change from the usual pasta.

Number of Servings: 8
Serving Size: 1 cup

[b:e83bfb87ea]Ingredients[/b:e83bfb87ea]
1 cup quinoa or (Bulgar wheat-not gluten free)
2 cup low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth or water or vegetable broth
2 cups chopped tomatoes
2 cups large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup chopped fresh parsley, packed
1 cup fresh mint, chopped or try cilantro
1/2 carrot
1/2 scallions, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tsp. of olive oil
1/4 tsp salt

[b:e83bfb87ea]Preparation Instructions [/b:e83bfb87ea]
[b:e83bfb87ea]1.[/b:e83bfb87ea] Rinse grain in medium strainer; drain. Place in 2-qt. saucepan with chicken broth or water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes, or until water or broth is absorbed.
[b:e83bfb87ea]2.[/b:e83bfb87ea] Transfer grain to large bowl.
[b:e83bfb87ea]3.[/b:e83bfb87ea] Add tomatoes, cucumber, celery, parsley, mint, carrots, scallions, and garlic.
[b:e83bfb87ea]4.[/b:e83bfb87ea] Sprinkle lemon juice, olive oil, and salt over salad. Mix to combine flavors.
[b:e83bfb87ea]5. [/b:e83bfb87ea]Chill 1 hour before serving.

[b:e83bfb87ea]Exchanges Per Serving[/b:e83bfb87ea]
1 Starch
1 Vegetable
1/2 Fat

[b:e83bfb87ea]Nutrition Information[/b:e83bfb87ea]
Amount per serving
Calories 127
Calories from Fat 27
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 10mg
Sodium 121mg