Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Greek for pain

Greek for pain 25 Apr 2006 00:58 #3319

• Bast
  • Bast's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi.

I've been reading up on the post about menstrual cramps. www.cyclediet.com/PMS_PMDD_forum/viewtopic.php?t=10

I seem to be in the first category of Dysmenorrhea, Greek for painful menstruation, "classified as primary (from the beginning and usually lifelong) ... In addition to painful uterine cramping with menses, women with dysmenorrhea may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, weakness, and/or fainting. Symptoms may vary in severity from cycle to cycle, but generally continue throughout the reproductive years. Dysmenorrhea can be an incapacitating problem, causing significant disruption in a woman's life each month."

This pretty much describes my experience. I've now had two months in which I did not need traditional pain killers but was able to control the pain, basically without passing out, but prone in bed all day, with Calcium and D3. The cramps are only one day instead of two. So I'm making good progress however, they are still really BAD!

I plan to cut out saturated fats from my diet (those natural ones that I was missing like cashews, avocado, etc.) and to take Flax oil capsules in addition to the Omega 3 that I now take, according to Debra's suggestion. I'll post my progress sans saturated fats here.

Debra, I would love to read some of the articles on pain and pain thresholds that you'd mentioned. I thought others would be interested too.

Thanks,
Alex

Greek for pain 25 Apr 2006 02:52 #3320

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Alex,

Thanks for your post. I sent you an e-mail, but since you brought it up here I should also post a link to one of my favorite websites on omega 3's and the inflammation response. It's a lengthy article about everything you want to know about how fatty acids work on inflammation in the body and blood. Be sure and come back and respond.

www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84

Other scientific article regarding omega 6 and Uterine Cramps:

[b:04ff5a01dc]Abstract at PubMed[/b:04ff5a01dc]

Another scientific abstract regarding omega 3's and inflammation before and after surgery:

[b:04ff5a01dc]PubMed Article 2[/b:04ff5a01dc]

One more regarding Omega 3's and Brain function:

[b:04ff5a01dc]PubMed Abstract 3[/b:04ff5a01dc]

Greek for pain 26 Apr 2006 02:11 #3321

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Debra,

The whole foods article about Omega 3 fatty acids is excellent. I'm going to forward it now to all my family and friends and particularly my aunt who has breast cancer and my brother who has high cholesterol and my ex-husband who has asthma and my mother who has joint pain. ha!

I found it extremely informative, particularly the information on buying high quality, refrigerated Omega 3 with vitamin E to resist rancidity. I wonder if the stuff I had off the shelf from Trader Joe's was the problem and why I kept burping fish! Maybe it was rancid.

The other articles are interesting medical jargon and hard to decipher but curious in detailing the kinds of studies that are available. I was particularly interested in learning about the study in Japan after surgery.

So thank you very much for this. Did you say you knew of some articles that were about threshold of pain? I would be curious to learn more.

Hope you are well.
Alex

Greek for pain 26 Apr 2006 13:00 #3322

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Alex,

I'm sorry I couldn't find the specific threshold of pain article and omega 3's research article I remember reading a couple of years ago. I'll keep searching for it. But in the meanwhile you can search google yourself for "pain threshold and omega 3".
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds