Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Spray Salad Dressings from Wishbone

New Spray Salad Dressings from Wishbone 12 May 2006 17:01 #3341

• Anonymous
  • Anonymous's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Debra,

Thanks for the new recipes, the shrimp one looks really good, I think I'm going to make today, but I have a couple questions.

-I've seen the new Wishbone salad dressing sprays, I love the idea of spraying salad dressing at only 10 or so calories. Q- are they OK on the Cycle diet?

I've also been wondering about the shrimp too, aren't they kind of high in cholesterol, my husband has recently been told he has high cholesterol and needs to bring it down. He was told his total cholesterol was 250. I don't remember what the other numbers were. Will he be OK to eat it?

New Spray Salad Dressings from Wishbone 12 May 2006 20:05 #3342

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Jen,

Yes I've seen the new Wishbone spray salad dressing and I think what a great idea. Here's the only problem, they all contain HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. I don't think a very small amount would be that bad for you, but there are other salad dressings out there without partially hydrogenated oils, preservatives or high fructose corn syrups in them.

[i:60bff28153][b:60bff28153]Newmans's Own[/b:60bff28153][/i:60bff28153] is a pretty good brand. I really like the Light Balsamic Vinaigrette. The only drawback in commercial salad dressings are the sulfites.

What I recommend is that you make your own salad dressings from your own fresh or dried herbs and spices and non-hydrogenated oils(canola and light olive oil). The idea of a spray dressing is fabulous, why not just go out and purchase a small spray bottle and put your own dressings with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and the spices of your choice that will fit through a sprayer. I may even give it a try to see how it works.

To answer your question about cholesterol and shrimp, yes it does contain a little cholesterol so try to keep the serving size to the recommended portion. The calories in shrimp are very low for the % of protein provided.

As an Example:

A serving of 12 (med size shrimp) contain
-68 calories
-14g protein
-130mg cholesterol......the recommended amount is no more or less than 300mg/day
-0.8g total fat (very low)
-0.2g sat fat (very low)

I'm still concerned as to the source of shrimp, look at the sodium levels and if they add bisulfits and sodium tripolyphosphate (STPP)

I hope that answers your questions, good luck with your husband's cholesterol, 250mg/dL is considered very high. If he follows the Cycle Diet along with you, his cholesterol levels will improve. However, statins have been very good at lowering high cholesterol fast. You doctor will have to write a prescription for him, my guess is that he/she already has.

Please let me know if you have any other questions of if I can be of help to you and your husband.

New Spray Salad Dressings from Wishbone 30 May 2006 23:31 #3343

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks Debra,

Yes, my husband was prescribed a statin, Lipitor. He's going to try and eat better, he's been following the diet changes requested by his doctor. He was also able to talk with a dietitian who works with the doctors here. I asked her if she'd ever heard of the Cycle diet, but she hadn't so I told her about it and this support board and how similar some of the recommendations were. She said she was going to check it out and was very interested that you had the diet plans on line for anyone to print off.

Anyway thanks again for your comments.

Jen
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds