Forgot Password       
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ground Turkey vs. Ground Beef

Ground Turkey vs. Ground Beef 01 Mar 2007 14:16 #3360

• lzalvis
  • lzalvis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have heard differing opinions on ground turkey vs. the leanest ground beef.  some articles say that ground turkey can contain skin, and thus you're better off just having the leanest ground beef.  But I"m not sure if that takes everything into consideration. 

I'm really trying to use more turkey, so your insight is appreciated. 

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ground Turkey vs. Ground Beef 01 Mar 2007 14:52 #3361

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hey Laura,

Good question, something I had to think about before I posted off the top of my mind (which after getting up too early this morning, is a little sluggish) Anyway the best answer to this is Yes, and No.....Ok, let me explain, If the ground turkey consists of mostly dark meat and includes the skin (yuk) then it is possible to have some really greasy ground turkey.....but and here's where it gets a little tricky and many good RD's or nutritionists will put up a good debate, I would still go for the turkey vs the lean ground beef for these reasons

- The protein content in the bird is easier to digest, takes less vitamins and minerals to metabolize and contains higher amounts of tryptophan the precursor to serotonin and less sulfur (easier on acid balance in the body)

- The fat profile is also less saturated and may contain less (residual growth hormones or antibiotics from feed additives, pesticides in non-organic beef) not to mention the latest scare of mad cow..OK I'm being a little more paranoid. Turkeys don't live as long to accumulate the kinds of fat soluble problems as in the time it takes to produce a cow.

But if you do buy ground beef, stick to lean organic or grass feed if you can afford it. And one last note, woman with gluten intolerance may have a more difficult time digesting the protein in beef due to reduced protease (enzymes that break down protein)available inside the GI tract. This is only a problem with eating too much meat protein.

Meat protein in 3-4oz at a time is the suggested portion size.

From Cooking light:

Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey: Your first instinct may be to choose ground turkey rather than ground round. But unless it's made only from breast meat, ground turkey isn't the low-fat option you might think it is. In fact, the calorie and fat amounts in ground round and regular ground turkey are surprisingly close, with the beef at 218 calories and 13 fat grams and the turkey at 200 calories and 11 fat grams. To save calories, go for ground turkey breast, which knocks calories down to 161 and slashes the fat almost in half.

Ground Round (3 ounces, pan-browned)
218 calories
13 grams fat
77 milligrams cholesterol

Ground Turkey Breast (3 ounces, roasted, boneless)
161 calories
6 grams fat
63 milligrams cholesterol

[/b] 

Ground Turkey vs. Ground Beef 01 Mar 2007 15:28 #3362

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thank you!!  I figured there was more to it than just 'fat' for us PMDD folks.  I will use it in my stuffed zucchini recipe this weekend!

Ground Turkey vs. Ground Beef 02 Mar 2007 16:06 #3363

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Stuffed Zucchini recipe?

ooooh, that sounds good. Please post your recipe and let us know how it turns out.

Ground Turkey vs. Ground Beef 05 Mar 2007 23:17 #3364

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
It was wonderful (much to my surprise), and I did post it!  Yay to me for working some turkey into our diet!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds