Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Apropos not eating

Apropos not eating 07 Jun 2006 20:56 #3367

• Bast
  • Bast's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Debra,

I am having fairly strong symptoms of PMS and with four more days to go. It occurred to me that last month my symptoms were less ? even tho I was on the road ? because I wasn't eating. This month I've had two hamburgers (both organic) and yesterday I couldn't say no when a friend's mother put a plate of chicken, most likely cooked with butter, milk and flour, in front of me. I wish I hadn't but I did.

I've noticed in the past that my cramps are worse after a meal and if I don't eat during the day I get along better.

Does this mean anything to you? Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks, Alex

Apropos not eating 07 Jun 2006 22:57 #3368

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Alex,

Yes, it means a couple of things. If you find that you get along better on less food, you might see if you can get by on less the few days before you start your period. I would suggest you up your intake of the pediasure if you tolerate it well just so you don't lose any weight.

First of all red meat (organic or not) does contain a fairly high amount of saturated fat, contributing to the pain response (uterine cramps) as you already know. It does depends on % of fat in the meat. The leaner the meat the better, but most "ground hamburger" is about 25% fat. If you ate these hamburgers in your follicular phase they shouldn't be too bad. If you ate them between ovulation and now then you've put more stress on your body from having to work harder at digestion as well as using more B vitamins, enzymes, (protease) calcium, and other minerals to break it down. The added protein in the form of branch chain amino acids also blocks the concentration of tryptophan from being able to reach the brain. Therefore reducing the opportunity to be used to make serotonin causing your mood to be worse.

Now that I think of it, there's more going on here for you than others shouldn't have to worry about. The flour in the batter on the chicken has lots of gluten in it also causing your intestines to become inflamed. The butter she fried it in will also add to the pain response and additional load on other pancreatic and liver enzymes to break it down small enough to be absorbed.

The best thing you can do for yourself today is to workout as hard as you can in order to use up the branch chain Amino acids in circulation. As you exercise strenuously (over an hour) you'll also start to burn up the most recently absorbed fatty acids as well. You'll burn up the carbohydrates first then the protein then fat.

You already know all of this, so I hope you're up to a good sweaty workout in order to help the situation.

Apropos not eating 09 Jun 2006 23:39 #3369

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Debra,

Thanks so much for your reply. I think my body functions on this micro-biological level and everything I ingest has a direct result in symptoms or well-being.

I've taken some long walks and that seems to help the symptoms a bit and I've simply needed a lot more sleep as well. This morning I had some major cramps after sex, but they passed with Premcal. Still two days from my period.

One interesting thing I've noticed: the other night I found myself at a nice little coffee shop with David after therapy. He ordered a big slice of cake and I got a chocolate granito (Italian ice). On the train ride home I had claustrophobia, irritability at the conductor who kept talking as the train was delayed and I threw a little tantrum, suggesting we get off the train immediately and find another. It didn't last long but my behavior changed dramatically from how it had been (and en-suite so did his). I now think it may have been the sugar and the chocolate ? mild as that was as a dessert choice ? which my body is no longer accustomed to having.

Thought I'd mention it. It seemed such a direct response.

Thanks again. I think I'll stay away from red meat from now on.
xo Alex

Apropos not eating 10 Jun 2006 14:22 #3370

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Alex,

The fact that you noticed the connection between what you ate and your change in mood is so wonderful. Now you can mark down what foods trigger your bad mood. I'm not surprised your response to the chocolate and sugar was so quick. Chocolate is one of those foods that causes problems for many woman and they don't really know it.

Red meat in small, lean amounts shouldn't be so bad in the follicular phase but if you're intestines are inflamed, this could be a different story. If your intestinal lining is allowing larger proteins to get past (leaky gut) then this puts the immune system on alert or a response in the way of diarrhea, bloating and cramping.

I would think if your intestines were well healed you should be able to eat some red meat without a problem.

You should really try sticking with chicken, fish and eggs for protein. I'm going to be posting more recipes and many are gluten free.

Thanks for your posts, :D

Apropos not eating 10 Jun 2006 18:14 #3371

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Debra,

Thanks for your response. This is all making so much sense.

Did you remember that my esophagus and intestines were inflamed ? or so I found out during the biopsy. I can't imagine that's changed too much.

My diarrhea is back this month though it had been so much better for a few months prior and now my D levels are down again too. I wouldn't be surprised if that were from Gluten or who knows what else I might be sensitive to and stress, of course.

Perhaps I should start keeping a more detailed food journal. It just seems like such hard work, but I'm sure it becomes second nature after a while.

And I'm thinking about attending some of those celiac meetings despite no diagnosis.

Thanks again.

Apropos not eating 10 Jun 2006 19:29 #3372

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I really think it will help you if you did attend a meeting, just to pick the brains of others in your situation. I will be attending a meeting coming up in July here.

The more you know the better, charting your food is a great idea especially if you decide to determin which foods are causing you problems. It may also help to re-read Dr. Greens book. I use it as a reference now and then. I think it should be required reading for all dietitians. :D

One other thing, why aren't you taking a D3 supplement besides the premcal? Are you getting some sun daily right now?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds