Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: I was told I have high triglycerides, now what??

I was told I have high triglycerides, now what?? 23 Dec 2006 02:17 #3492

• NancyO
  • NancyO's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

I've been following the cycle diet for three months now with amazing results.  Finding it has changed my life, thank you soooo much!  Today I was told I have high tricgycerides(237) and need to cut sugars and carbs. 

I am wondering how this fits in to what I'm already doing.  I am 5'3" and 112 lbs and weight is not an issue for me, but all the excercise I get is chasing my twins all day long, no actual fitness routine.  I don't eat many carbs as it is, except whole grains, and hardly any refined sugar.  So I'm not too sure what else I can cut out. 

I have read some scarey things tonight about Splenda and now think I need an alternative.  I have oatmeal nearly every day for breakfast with a pack of Splenda, and sometimes a cup of decaf with two tsp. of real sugar, but that's really it for sugar.  I do eat a ton of fruit.  Please tell me I don't need to cut that out!  Real, fresh fruit,  and frozen in my vitamin drink in the am.

Thank you so much for all the great information!  You are much appreciated!!

I was told I have high triglycerides, now what?? 23 Dec 2006 03:03 #3493

• NancyO
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Welcome to the support board Nancy,

I've been following the cycle diet for three months now with amazing results.  Finding it has changed my life, thank you soooo much! 

And a big congratulations on your results, I hope you find your symptoms continue to improve even more over time. Please make sure and let us know how you're doing over time. 

Thank you for posting your results from the diet and sharing your triglycerides with us,  231 are now considered within the high range- your triglycerides are only a small part of the picture. What were your HDL and LDL measurements. If you have a low HDL and High LDL then we have something to really talk about. 

What are the new guidelines for triglyceride levels?
Guidelines for triglyceride levels in healthy adults are:
Normal                       Under 150 mg/dL

Borderline high          150 - 199 mg/dL

High                            200 - 499 mg/dL

Very high                    500 mg/dL or higher

High triglycerides can be caused by eating too much sugar, fat and drinking too much alcohol. You may also have a genetic disposition to high triglycerides or you may be suffering from a shortage of lipase, the enzyme that helps break them down. I find high triglycerides in many who are gluten intolerant due to the inability to break fat down.

There are many other reasons why triglycerides could be high in a person and if you've been following the Cycle Diet as you know most carbs sources are complex, not refined, with very little simple sugar. No wonder you're confused.

Can you share your HDL and LDL numbers and if they also tested for any other lipids

As far as Splenda goes, I leave it up to you on whether or not it's something you want to avoid. But so far it's the only sugar substitute that I recommend. There's a ton of research behind it showing it doesn't breakdown in the GI track and is excreted intact- unlike others like aspartame that breakdown.

Some people like stevia, another herbal type of sweetner. You might want to give it a try too.

I was told I have high triglycerides, now what?? 23 Dec 2006 15:32 #3494

• NancyO
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks so much for your quick reply.  She didn't give me my LDL and HDL numbers but I will call back after Christmas and ask her for certain!  I don't drink any alchohol at all or eat red meat, just chicken and fish.  I've never even considered that I might be gluten intolerant, I will have to check into that, too.  The nurse told me that high triglycerides cause plaque in the arteries and I was up all night worried that my arteries are filled with plaque and I don't even know it!!  If someone does have plaque in their arteries, is that reversible through diet and excercise??  Just curious.

Thanks again, and I will post my HDL and LDL levels after the holidays.

Have a fantastic Christmas!!

I was told I have high triglycerides, now what?? 08 Jan 2007 22:55 #3495

• NancyO
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Debra,

I finally got those numbers and I didn't really understand her explanation when I asked about them.  She just kept telling me to cut back on the sugar and carbs and to excercise, which I am doing (all three).  She said my HDL was 57 and my LDL was 45, and my total cholesterol was 201. 

Does this change anything in your opinion???? 

Thanks again, Debra!  Oh, if I join is there a place on here where I can go to find name brand food recommendations??

Nancy

I was told I have high triglycerides, now what?? 09 Jan 2007 02:52 #3496

• NancyO
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

She said my HDL was 57 and my LDL was 45, and my total cholesterol was 201.

Hi Nancy,

According to the American Heart Association, you're total cholesterol is only slightly above desirable, your LDL or bad cholesterol is considered in the optimal range and is actually pretty low (very good for you) and your HDL or good cholesterol is also within the optimal range (also very good for you). Some experts now think that as long as your HDL is optimal this outweighs the severity of your triglyceride problem. Your LDL is also low, which is very good and again should out weigh the triglyceride problem.  As long as you exercise, your body will use up the triglycerides as fuel at a higher rate once you've burned up most of your glycogen (stored carbohydrate) but you might have a problem with not producing enough lipase which helps break down fatty acids, so you might in fact, be able to  exercise your problem away, but you're not really getting to the actual cause of a possible lipase or enzymatic shortage.  Does this make sense to you?

Total blood cholesterol levels:
Your total blood cholesterol will fall into one of these categories:

Desirable > Less than 200 mg/dL
Borderline high risk  200-239 mg/dL
High risk > 240 mg/dL and over

Desirable
If your total cholesterol is less than 200 mg/dL, your heart attack risk is relatively low, unless you have other risk factors. Even with a low risk, it's still smart to eat foods low in saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol, and also get plenty of physical activity. Have your cholesterol levels measured every five years � or more often if you're a man over 45 or a woman over 55.

LDL Cholesterol Levels

Less than 100 mg/dL
Optimal

100 to 129 mg/dL
Near Optimal/ Above Optimal

130 to 159 mg/dL
Borderline High

160 to 189 mg/dL
High

190 mg/dL and above
Very High
Your HDL cholesterol level
In the average man, HDL cholesterol levels range from 40 to 50 mg/dL. In the average woman, they range from 50 to 60 mg/dL. HDL cholesterol that's less than 40 mg/dL is low. Low HDL cholesterol puts you at high risk for heart disease. Smoking, being overweight and being sedentary can all result in lower HDL cholesterol.

Nancy, you can join by just purchasing a workbook, which includes some recommendations for products and you can always ask too.

I was told I have high triglycerides, now what?? 10 Jan 2007 14:21 #3497

• NancyO
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Wow!  Thanks so much for all that great information!  It made me feel better.  I feel like I'm doing the right things, especially now that I'm excercising regularly.  It makes it easier to eat the right things, too.  It's all so confusing and trying to fit it all together is like trying to do a 1,000 peice puzzle blindfolded!!

Thanks again.  Your information is the best anywhere!!

Nancy

I was told I have high triglycerides, now what?? 15 Jan 2007 00:31 #3498

• NancyO
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I have seen some information saying not to eliminate rice if you want to lower your tryglycerides, and it didn't even say just white rice.  So is brown rice still okay for me?  Confused again!!

Thanks!!

I was told I have high triglycerides, now what?? 15 Jan 2007 00:51 #3499

• NancyO
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

So is brown rice still okay for me?

Absolutely, any kind of brown rice is just fine! 

I was told I have high triglycerides, now what?? 15 Jan 2007 01:39 #3500

• NancyO
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I just re-read my question and realized I stated it incorrectly.  I meant to say it says TO eliminate rice, does that change your response?

Sorry.  Can I still use baby brain as an excuse even though my twins are almost three??:D

I was told I have high triglycerides, now what?? 15 Jan 2007 02:31 #3501

• NancyO
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Nancy,

Are you looking at a high glycemic index? Where are you getting your information? This might clear some things up for me.  Yes white rice would qualify as high glycemic, but most people don't eat white rice alone, it's usually mixed with meat or vegetables which brings down the total glycemic value.

Brown rice is not high on the glycemic index due to it's fiber content which slows down  digestion, not to mention the superior nutritional content.

Hope that answers your question.

Not sure what baby brain is, do you mean baby bran? If this is what you mean then I'm sure it's fine. Just read the ingredient list on the package.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds