Forgot Password       
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Muscle pain in luteal phase

Muscle pain in luteal phase 31 Jan 2007 18:18 #3515

• ACiampi
  • ACiampi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Could you please explain why some people experience muscle pain during the luteal phase?  Does it have to do with increased hormones or lack of calcium/vitamin D?  How much calcium and vitamin D does one need? 

I'm very discouraged because I don't seem to have any relief from symptoms in the luteal phase.  Is there anything to help until you've made it through two cycles?  I see hope at the end of two months but what to do until then?  I feel better for a little while after taking supplements or after exercise, but everything comes back after that.  What treatment options should I try next?

Can juicing help?

I'm having a super bad day and I've tried calling my support system and no one is available.  Please, some encouragement.

Alyssa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Muscle pain in luteal phase 31 Jan 2007 19:17 #3516

• ACiampi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Could you please explain why some people experience muscle pain during the luteal phase?  Does it have to do with increased hormones or lack of calcium/vitamin D?  How much calcium and vitamin D does one need?

Hi Alyssa,

I'm so sorry to hear about your muscle pain. Are you talking about leg and arm muscles or are you talking about uterine cramps? There are different reasons for both.

If you're having muscle pain then yes it's a mineral problem, calcium and vitamin D help, BUT if you have a malabsorption problem than you need to find out if you're gluten intolerant. If I remember correctly you are on the original Cycle Diet am I right?

How about your joints, do your joint also hurt? What cycle day are you on?

As far as how much calcium and vitamin D, I recommend 1,000-1,200mg a day of calcium from either food and or supplements. Sources are listed in your workbook. During the winter months, especially if you stay indoors all year I recommend 800-2,000 IU's a day of vitamin D3. This depends entirely on your vitamin D levels.

Now if you are gluten intolerant, (and muscle and joint pain are symptoms of gluten intolerance) than you need to be tested prior to going gluten-free.

Juicing? can't hurt anyway, especially if you throw in a few greens. (Spinach, Kale, broccoli)

Muscle pain in luteal phase 31 Jan 2007 19:43 #3517

• ACiampi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Alyssa,

Do you having any of these symptoms along with the muscle pain?

- Iron deficiency anemia
- chronic gastrointestinal problems:
- diarrhea
- constipation or both diarrhea and constipation
- bloating
- distended abdomen
- cramps
- Skin rashes
- chronic fatigue
- depression
- hair loss
- headaches
- joint pain
- bone pain

Muscle pain in luteal phase 02 Feb 2007 14:37 #3518

• ACiampi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I don't know what iron deficiency anemia is.  How do you know if you have an iron deficiency?  Of the symptoms you listed, I only have despression, muscle pain and hair loss.  I also have extreme irritabilit y, lack of concentration and focus.  I was able to elminate cramps and bloating by significantly reducing my salt intake (to almost none) from my diet. 

I know about gluten intolerance because my son was that way.  He had the rash and distended stomach and constant runny nose until we took him off all the things causing his food allergies.  He's been tested.  He is doing so much better now.  His food limitations certainly affect the rest of us.  We eat a lot a meals the same as him - no diary, no wheat, no peanuts, lots of vegetables and fruit. 

I have found that caffeine is a culprit to the muscle pain.  I like tea.  I need to stick to the caffeine free tea during the luteal phase.  Stress seems to be a big factor too.  I exercise three to four times a week for 30-45 min. - cardio, stretching, abs.  in different combinations of course.  I haven't been able to work in the weight training yet.  I've been to a massage therapist and that certainly helped but is really expensive.  My CNM suggested B3(niacin) for energy, evening primrose oil for inflammation, gingko for concentration and St. John's Wort for depression. 

All that helps but by the end of the day is all out of my system.  I guess that's how it works.  It seems to help only like 50%.  I'm about to give up doing it naturally, but can't stand the idea of medication side effects. 

Muscle pain in luteal phase 02 Feb 2007 15:20 #3519

• ACiampi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
[user=220]ACiampi[/user] wrote:

I know about gluten intolerance because my son was that way.  He had the rash and distended stomach and constant runny nose until we took him off all the things causing his food allergies.  He's been tested.  He is doing so much better now.  His food limitations certainly affect the rest of us. 

OH MY gosh Alyssa,

Didn't your doctor suggest you and your husband also be tested for gluten intolerance? Celiacs and gluten intolerance is a genetic autoimmune condition that runs along family lines. I'm finding PMDD symptoms are just the result of malabsorption in women (iron, calcium, vitamin D, folate, magnesium, many of the B vitamins, zinc, and B12, in some, and some other minerals)who are gluten intolerant, but haven't yet developed (and may not ever) intestinal villi damage or test positive for Celiacs via blood tests (IgA, IgG) or possibly IgE which is an allergic reaction, different from the auto immune response.

Your muscle problems are the result of gluten intolerance causing malabsorption in the GI primarily where calcium and others are absorbed. Are you taking calcium? It's very important for gluten intolerant people to get calcium, magnesium, phosphorous through foods and supplements until the immune response is reduced and healing has occurred.

I absolutely suggest you be tested either by your son's pediatrician or at least have your doctor refer you to a gastroenterologist who specializes is gluten intolerance and Celiacs. I can also refer you to Enterolab.com for a stool test done by overnight express. Dr. Kenneth Fine is a board certified gastroenterologist who can test gluten intolerance in people who don't or may not develop intestinal villi damage.  

As far as the other supplements recommended by your CNM (?) these oviously won't be effective with gluten intolerance. You will need to remove ALL gluten from your diet.

Please feel free to call me for the Gluten Free Cycle Diet plan.

I don't know what iron deficiency anemia is.  How do you know if you have an iron deficiency?

Iron anemia is tested by a blood cell test, which you really need to be tested for.

I'm about to give up doing it naturally, but can't stand the idea of medication side effects.

Don't give up yet, once you yourself are tested and understand what the underlying problem causing you all of your symptoms it can take a while to get it completely under control.

I'm going to send you a few articles for you to read via e-mail decribing the gentics behind gluten intolerance so you will have a better understanding. And please post here on any questions you have.

Muscle pain in luteal phase 02 Feb 2007 18:31 #3520

• ACiampi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
The muscle pain I was referring to is either in my low back mostly on the left side or my shoulders, arms and neck.  This cycle it was in my shoulders, arms and neck.

I have little faith in the medical community due to past experiences.  I didn't even ask our pediatrician anything about it.  She said everyone who lives here has some type of allergies.  A friend gave me a referral to an all natural wellness center that specializes in treating patients with cancer.  She said that her child's behavior improved so much after getting her off the foods she was allergic to.  With the supplements to get my son's immune system better and the consultation, it cost $400.  We haven't made appointments for the rest of us.  My son is so much better though.  My husband was tested for allergies because we were trying to get to the bottom of his snoring and nose and throat problems.  All his tests came up negative.  The ENT said what the pediatrician said, "It's the pollution."  I was tested as a kid and only had a milk allergy.  We are looking into a blood test for allergies.  Is that reliable?  Would a naturopathic doctor be able to do those tests for iron and allergies?  They may be cheaper than the wellness center.

I take this cal-mag supplement that you add water to.  It was the only thing I saw any results with.  I take a very high quality vitamin D supplement too.  I take a multivitimin and fish oils too.  Are spelt, aramanth, and kamut gluten free grains?  All the other stuff you say to stay away from we have for several years now even before I knew about my son's food allergies.

Thanks for all your help.

Alyssa

Muscle pain in luteal phase 02 Feb 2007 19:24 #3521

• ACiampi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
[user=220]ACiampi[/user] wrote:

The muscle pain I was referring to is either in my low back mostly on the left side or my shoulders, arms and neck.  This cycle it was in my shoulders, arms and neck.

I have little faith in the medical community due to past experiences.  I didn't even ask our pediatrician anything about it. (she should have known that it's genetic and runs in families) 

She said everyone who lives here has some type of allergies. 

Yours and your son's problems are not from an allergy, but from an autoimmune response, there's a difference.

A friend gave me a referral to an all natural wellness center that specializes in treating patients with cancer.  She said that her child's behavior improved so much after getting her off the foods she was allergic to. Yes, the toxins that are released from the antibodies are very harmful, which is why it's so important to remove all foods that cause an immune response. You should be tested. If you can't afford the wellness center than I highly recommend you order the lab tests through Enterolab. They test for gluten, corn, soy, egg, dairy and yeast.

With the supplements to get my son's immune system better and the consultation, it cost $400.  We haven't made appointments for the rest of us.  My son is so much better though.  My husband was tested for allergies because we were trying to get to the bottom of his snoring and nose and throat problems.  All his tests came up negative.  The ENT said what the pediatrician said, "It's the pollution."  I was tested as a kid and only had a milk allergy. This is very common in gluten intolerant people as well.

We are looking into a blood test for allergies.  Is that reliable?  It really depends on who is doing it, and how reliable the lab techs are.

Would a naturopathic doctor be able to do those tests for iron and allergies?  They may be cheaper than the wellness center. Maybe? you'll have to do a little research.

I take this cal-mag supplement that you add water to.  It was the only thing I saw any results with.  I take a very high quality vitamin D supplement too.  I take a multivitimin and fish oils too.  Sounds good, but I always tell my clients not to take calcium and magnesium together, but as long as you feel like you're seeing results I wouldn't change it.

Are spelt, amaranth, and kamut gluten free grains? 

Spelt and Kamut CONTAIN GLUTEN,

amaranth is gluten free

All the other stuff you say to stay away from we have for several years now even before I knew about my son's food allergies. Very good.

Thanks for all your help.

Alyssa

Hi Alyssa you are very welcome- did you get my email?

Muscle pain in luteal phase 05 Feb 2007 03:31 #3522

• ACiampi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
HI Alyssa,

Girl, you sound like me a year ago. There were many cycles for years when I got to the luteal phase that felt like the flu, it was that bad. I still get that way on occasion, but not nearly to that degree. I began taking flaxseed oil for postpartum and then have read a lot of things about it since then and am still taking it 2 3/4 years later :0 I swear by it.  About, oh 6 month ago I began taking vit d due to a deficiency found my by rheumatologist and things are much better.

Now only little pains once in a while. But a HUGE difference since I met up with Deb..........she gets me to eat right and what a difference.  I also have an under-active thyroid too, that would also be worth checking into.
 Keep your chin up and work with Deb! She'll get you feeling better soon.

Nicole

Muscle pain in luteal phase 16 Feb 2007 19:06 #3523

• ACiampi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Alyssa,

Just wondering what's going on with you. Please be sure and keep us updated. We're here if you need us.

Muscle pain in luteal phase 19 Feb 2007 18:15 #3524

• ACiampi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Debra,

I was highly disappointed to find out spelt and kamut are not gluten free.  Gluten free is expensive and time consuming although I have seen more improvement in my son.  I've been sick with a head cold so I don't feel great but have noticed my thoughts are better.  Any tips on making things faster?  We've been eating more oats, rice dishes (and potatoes here and there) and gluten free means more vegetables which are time consuming for prep and cooking.  I only buy gluten free for my son and me because it is so expensive.  We are juicing too (with added greens from a really good powder) and although it doesn't help anything it at least fills you up so you don't want to eat bread.  I think my little one may be gluten intolerant too so that really limits her diet because she can't chew so well.  We have to limit dairy, peanuts and a few other things too.  Any suggestions for large families to eat gluten free fast?

I had to change our health insurance.  That's almost done and then next month we may be able to look at getting us tested.  It is a big chunk of money and we have a van to sell that would help pay for it too.  I'd like to test all of us.

Thanks for asking about me.  I'm in the follicular phase and feel pretty good except my cold!  I'm dreading later this week though.  The worst actually won't hit until next week!

Alyssa

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds