Forgot Password       
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gluten Free

Gluten Free 20 Feb 2007 14:10 #3537

• jan
  • jan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Well I've just received my Workbook today and can't wait to read it through.

With regard to going gluten free - how many days does it take to feel a difference?

So will let you know how I get on.  Certainly needing some help now so hoping the diet does it for me.  My period is late this month but it was early last month.  Thought I would be starting to miss them now with being nearly 51 and thinking meno is on the horizon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gluten Free 20 Feb 2007 14:51 #3538

• jan
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Jan,

Thanks for letting me know you finally received your workbook. I hope it's in good shape traveling all that way to the UK.

Jan, to answer your question everyone is different when it comes to results. Some find significant relief in just a few weeks and with others it can take 3 to 6 months. And depending on how fast you learn where the hidden gluten is or cheat (yes some cheat on the diet) can also make a huge difference in your results.

The only problem with going gluten free as you are going to now- makes getting a reliable blood test more difficult. The Celiac tests widely available through your doctors office depend entirely on their patients being on foods containing gluten diet in order to measure the antibodies in the blood from the gluten foods (Wheat, rye and barley and their derivatives).

If you think you can live without a diagnosis and want to go gluten-free anyway you should find out fairly rapidly what kind of response you have.

I hope that answers your question.

Gluten Free 20 Feb 2007 16:37 #3539

• jan
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Well I have to see the Dr. next week so I'm definitely going to mention the sensitivity to yoghurts and I'm also going to mention how I am bloating really badly at the moment and see what he says - if he doesn't go ahead and arrange a test I'll go gluten free myself for a few weeks and see how I feel - so thanks for that - what is the test for gluten intolerance?

Yes the workbook was fine and arrived safely - thank you.

Gluten Free 20 Feb 2007 16:51 #3540

• jan
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Excellent news Jan,

There are several tests available, here they call it a Celiac Panel (serology tests)which consists of the following give or take one or two tests at the discretion of your physician.
  1. Anti-gliadin ELISA, IgA specific (AGA-IgA) and Anti-gliadin ELSIA, IgG specific (AGA-IgG)
  2. Anti-human tissue transglutaminase (Hu-tTG ELISA, IgA Recombinant antigen
  3. Anti-endomysial (EMA) antibody by Immunofluorescence Assay
  4. Total Serum IgA
Then if your doctor wants to look at your digestive system he may request a endoscopy of the proximal intestine with a biopsy. Most doctors like to see the blood panel first before they order a endoscopy.

I'm finding many of my clients that test negative on the blood panel may still be gluten intolerant, something called Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitive. These women are indeed gluten sensitive but may not present with villi atrophy or villi damage. They still have many of the same problems with absorption of vitamins and minerals and are often sensitive to dairy as well.

Gluten Free 20 Feb 2007 17:02 #3541

• jan
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I think the Drs in the USA are much more clued up on these tests and organising them for patients than Drs in the UK - probably because we don't have health insurance in UK and it's all done by what we call the National Health Service.  I've mentioned food sensitivity to the Dr in the past and if I'm honest I may as well have saved my breadth - the attitude here is well don't eat it! 

Gluten Free 20 Feb 2007 19:33 #3542

• jan
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Jan,

That's so funny, :D I've seen and heard just the opposite. You need to go visit celiac forums based here in the US- so many Celiacs and well known Gastroenterologists say we're really behind here in the US in correctly diagnosing and screening for gluten intolerance.

Please let me know what your doctor says. I can always refer you to this website for a stool test- www.enterolab.com I did check with them, they do offer testing in the UK via overnight or next day express. Hopefully you'll get your doctor to listen to you.

Gluten Free 20 Feb 2007 20:24 #3543

• jan
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Well all I can do is try - I have mentioned the yoghurt thing before and literally he said if it does that stop eating it!

Will let you know how it goes. How much does this test cost if I was to order it from the US?

Gluten Free 20 Feb 2007 20:59 #3544

• jan
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Jan,

Costs vary depending on what you order. The gluten intolerance test is $99, I'm not sure what the conversion in Euros would be- do you have any idea what the current conversion rate is?. They also offer the casein allergy test as well. Why don't you visit the website and look at the rates for the various tests.

You can also e-mail them and ask about the details on the shipping arrangements to and from the UK. I'd be very interested in knowing if they still use DHL.

I get quite a few inquires from the UK, so it might be interesting to know how it works if you should decide to order it.

Gluten Free 21 Feb 2007 06:38 #3545

• jan
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Yes I'll take a look at their website - thanks for that.

Gluten Free 26 Feb 2007 14:17 #3546

• jan
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Jan,

How's it going on the Gluten-free diet so far? Do you have any questions? Feel free to post here or inside the private Client forum. :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds