Forgot Password       
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Questions about Dairy Foods & Tofu

Questions about Dairy Foods & Tofu 23 Sep 2007 00:09 #3607

• Ellenx3
  • Ellenx3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Debra-

I'm checking in after my relapse, and with some diet adjustments I've been feeling back to "great"!

I cut out dairy entirely, and have introduced some turkey and chicken back into my diet all with positive results. I'm so glad I don't have to go vegetarian to keep my hormones in balance!

I've been wondering what about dairy products could affect my system so much? I'm not lactose intolerant, but I notice a distinct difference in my hormones when I don't eat any dairy. Is it from hormones in the milk from the cows? Or the protein in dairy products themselves? I was wondering what you're thoughts are on dairy- it seems to be a controversial subject.

Also, to anyone out there- I was wondering if you knew any good alternatives to all the high salt and high sugar/corn syrup in Asian sauces? I used to cook with a lot of hoisin sauce but it is loaded with sugar and corn syrup. I've used Debra's alternative recipe to BBQ sauce and was wondering if anyone had any good stir-fry sauce recipes as well.

Ellenx3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Questions about Dairy Foods & Tofu 23 Sep 2007 13:45 #3608

• Ellenx3
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
[user=347]Ellenx3[/user] wrote:

I'm checking in after my relapse, and with some diet adjustments I've been feeling back to "great"!

I cut out dairy entirely, and have introduced some turkey and chicken back into my diet all with positive results. I'm so glad I don't have to go vegetarian to keep my hormones in balance!

Hi Ellenx3, Good to hear you're feeling back to great.:). I suspect, and now you know you have either an intolerance to casein, the main milk protein found in all dairy products, or you could be having a reaction to residue growth hormones found in milk. It really depends. You can test this therory for yourself if you chose to.

1) purchase verified organic milk and wait a couple hours to see if you react to it. If you do then you know it's probably the casein.

2) Be tested by Enterolab, which tests for casein, but you'd have to be eating dairy prior to being tested. They test for the antibodies against casien in a ELISA assay in fecal matter....yes, it's a stool test.

It's really up to you, there are some other companies that test blood IgA, IgG against casien, but you'd have to MAKE SURE they're not testing IgE which is the true allergy test, not the delayed intolerance test. IgA and IgG are delayed food sensitivity immunogloblins. This is a farely new area of medical testing so you'll find many traditionalist who are not familar with it and will dismiss this testing.

Even so the proof is in the pudding, milk pudding that is. After you've stopped all dairy and feel brave enough to reintroduce it into your system, any reaction will allow you to know for sure.

I've been wondering what about dairy products could affect my system so much? I'm not lactose intolerant, but I notice a distinct difference in my hormones when I don't eat any dairy. Is it from hormones in the milk from the cows? Or the protein in dairy products themselves? I was wondering what you're thoughts are on dairy- it seems to be a controversial subject.

Here's my opinion....I wrote about bovine dairy a while ago that helps explain why so many people are intolerant to dairy, I will re post it here, but the short story is....it depends on your genetics, whether or not you inherited the genetic mutation to digest dairy. (Northern Europeans, Scandinavians where the first to consume bovine dairy)

Casein intolerance is much different from lactose intolerance, one is a delayed food sensitivity, lactose intolerance is an enzyme deficiency. Food intolerances can cause a condition known as "leaky gut syndrome" where the tight junctures inside the cell structure of the intestinal lining becomes loose from an immune response. This allows many larger proteins in the form of peptides that normally would not be able to pass through the intestinal mucosa to pass....thus causing the immune reaction and in some cases intestinal damage.

Some people don't experience the intestinal damage, yet if these tight junctions are loose, these larger peptides are allowed into the blood stream circulating into other areas and organs in the body. A casein intolerance has been found to end up inside the kidney, causing problems there. It's hard to know for sure where these proteins accumulate, but be assured our immune system mistakenly identifies them as antigens (viral, bacterial..etc.) and mounts an immune response of attack. This is when we start to feel very bad and why it's so important to understand food sensitivities if left undiagnosed can lead to other diseases. 

I have nothing against dairy, but it's not healthy for everyone as mainstream media would have you believe. The dairy industry in the US is very very influential. Look at all the money spent to promote dairy. Yes, it's a very good source of calcium, but that's why I suggest elemental supplementation and other calcium rich foods in the form of vegetables.

Also, to anyone out there- I was wondering if you knew any good alternatives to all the high salt and high sugar/corn syrup in Asian sauces? I used to cook with a lot of hoisin sauce but it is loaded with sugar and corn syrup. I've used Debra's alternative recipe to BBQ sauce and was wondering if anyone had any good stir-fry sauce recipes as well.

I'll check around as well and see if I can find some more good recipes.

I hope this answers your question...please post and remind me again if I missed something.

Questions about Dairy Foods & Tofu 23 Sep 2007 17:49 #3609

• Ellenx3
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ellen3x,

I was wondering if you knew any good alternatives to all the high salt and high sugar/corn syrup in Asian sauces?

Have you ever considered looking into some of the Indian Curry Pastes? Also one other note: Most soy sauces are made from wheat and do contain gluten. Look for Gluten-Free low sodium sauces, I have a link to a couple brands, I have to find it for you.

Many of the curry pastes made by THAI Kitchens are gluten-free/Dairy-Free and some are better than others when it comes to sodium content. Beware.....a little goes a long way.

Check out this link on THAI Kitchens in the meanwhile. http://www.thaikitchen.com/allergyinfo.html

Here are some other ideas for you from Edwards & Sons, They carry a ton of different organic, wheat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free low sodium asian sauces:
http://www.edwardandsons.com/organic_sauce.html

Look for the Premire Japan sauces
Let me know if you can't find these in your local grocery store...it seems all the major Celiac and gluten intolerance websites have them in their on-line web based stores.

Questions about Dairy Foods & Tofu 23 Sep 2007 18:15 #3610

• Ellenx3
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Debra!

I'm going to check for those sauces at a specialty store near my home.

And thanks for the dairy info!

Also- would you consider Basmati rice to be as good as brown rice? As in, it doesn't impact blood sugar as much as non-healthy carbs?

Ellenx3

Questions about Dairy Foods & Tofu 23 Sep 2007 18:48 #3611

• Ellenx3
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ellen3x,

Look for Basmati brown rice at your grocery or specialty store. There's so many benefits to eating the bran of whatever rice variety you choose.

Here's another thread on Brown Rice that you may like to read through:

Questions about Dairy Foods & Tofu 12 Jul 2008 20:24 #3612

• Ellenx3
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I liked this reply so much...I'm bumping it up.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds