Forgot Password       
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Milk

Milk 24 Dec 2007 16:39 #3704

• lzalvis
  • lzalvis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
So recently I was in a Publix (large chain grocery store) and their regular store-brand milks now say 'from cows not treated with rbST' .  How is this different from Organic milk?  I'm not sure if I need to keep buying the Organic milk. 

I was also in a Trader Joe's recently to get some Organic low-fat cheese slices.  And the labels said something like 'no difference has been shown in milk from cows treated vs. not treated with rbST' (or something like that). 

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Milk 24 Dec 2007 19:36 #3705

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Good question:

Recombinant Bovine somatotropin (rbST) is a synthetic growth hormone used by dairy farmers to increase milk production in cows. There's lots of controversy over these growth hormones. In my opinion anything that's not good for the animal can't be good for the human that consumes the product. I really don't care what the funded research from Monsanto scientists says....that it's okay, it is not.  Any increase in growth hormone residue can have an effect at the cellular level. Better to be safe than sorry.

The other major problem with rbst is the fact that the cows are usually milked non-stop (this is not natural) and subjects the dairy cow to mastitis, an infection to the utter from being hooked up all the time to automated milking machines. Dairy farmers usually treat mastitis with huge doses of antibiotics, this is also a concern for anyone with GI problems because the residue from these antibiotics do indeed pass into the milk destroying the good natural flora in our lower intestines. Not to mention the problems we as a country are seeing from antibiotic resistant bacteria.   

The USA is the ONLY country in the WORLD that allows these growth hormones because Monsanto is a very powerful company, that has lobbied the congress over and over not only about bovine growth hormones, but genetic modified foods and animals.:? As the food exporter to the world the EU and JAPAN refuse to accept meat or dairy produced here....unless it's been tested or is organic. Funny isn't it.

With more and more people demanding organic products and willing to pay more for safe and humanely produced dairy and meats, suppliers have no choice but to move to producing what the market demands.

FYI, it's now illegal to put growth hormones and antibiotics in chicken feeds because of the resistance it's caused in poultry.

Milk 25 Dec 2007 16:35 #3706

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Sorry Laura,

I didn't really answer your questions because I went off on my rant about growth hormones and antibiotics in milk.

If milk is "organic" it entails more than just no-growth hormones, it also entails the land the cows are raised on as well as it's organic non-GMO feed. Only milk with the milk with a green organic seal can use the term organic....or certified organic.

No rbST is a step towards more humane treatment of cows, but it doesn't encompass the organic status.

Try these links for the benefits of organic vs. reg milk

Meeting `organic' criteria

By law, only products that meet specific federal criteria can be labeled
"organic," and the National Organic Standards Board, appointed by the
federal secretary of agriculture, determines those standards. Organic dairy
cows, for instance, must eat grain that isn't genetically modified or
treated with pesticides or fertilizers, and the herds cannot be given growth
hormones or antibiotics.

Furthermore, "the producer must provide access to the outdoors, shade,
shelter, exercise areas, fresh air, and direct sunlight suitable to the
species, its stage of production, the climate and the environment,"
according to the rules. "This requirement includes access to pasture for
ruminant animals."

http://www.organicconsumers.org/Organic/milk011105.cfm

Benefits of organic milk:

http://www.netnutritionist.com/qa21_organic_milk_benefits.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4153951.stm

Milk and Dairy Primer:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/grocery/dairyprimer.html

Milk 26 Dec 2007 13:14 #3707

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Very interesting, I had no idea organic milk was so much better for you. So, organic yogurt would definately be the way to go. It's only a little more expensive.

Milk 11 Jan 2008 00:57 #3708

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Debra,

So, the bottom line is that I should still be getting organic milk and yogurt?

Milk 11 Jan 2008 02:42 #3709

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Laura,

How's it going? I can only offer you my opinions, it's really your choice. I have read more recent research regarding organic dairy....being more healthy, better fatty acid profiles, more nutrients, ect.

If you can afford it, why not buy it. :)

here are the arguments for both sides....I happen to agree that grass feed cows produce a better milk. http://www.milkprocon.org/questions/organic.htm

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds