Forgot Password       
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Alcohol

Alcohol 06 Mar 2008 12:29 #3710

• solstice
  • solstice's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I went alcohol free last summer (2007) and had decent PMS...tolerable anyway.  Somewhere after Christmas 2007 I started having a few mixed drinks...gluten free of course.  And my periods and PMS have become increasingly worse.  Is it safe to say that I really should NEVER drink any alcohol ever again?  That is a hard thought to NOT swallow...ha ha.  WOuld alcohol alone give me those kinds of problems? 

This past month I slipped up and had sugar, GLUTEN (what was I thinking) and alcohol all in the same day.  Ended up with the flu for a solid week---bronchitis, etc, followed by severe PMS and a mere 24 day cycle with an 8 day period...good lord I was wrecked!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Alcohol 06 Mar 2008 12:56 #3711

• solstice
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Solstice,

Sorry, alcohol is only permitted during the follicular phase on the Cycle Diet and only 1 drink a day....Alcohol is not recommended at all during the luteal phase.

Alcohol uses many of the same vitamins and minerals needed to cycle normally and in your case it sounds like you're malabsorbing anyway.  It also sounds like you have a leaky gut so staying away from alcohol all the time until your gut is fully healed might be a very good idea.

I went alcohol free last summer (2007) and had decent PMS...tolerable anyway.

Please have your vitamin D check!! If your PMS is tolerable in the summer than I'm sure your stores are severely deficient. Low D inhibits absorption of not only calcium but magnesium, phosphorus and potassium

Alcohol 06 Mar 2008 13:02 #3712

• solstice
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I'll have to see if it was checked...my last round of bloodwork was in the summer though.  I have been upping my D intake this week along with calcium and magnesium.  I have been getting more teeth issues so I assume my calcium intake is far from sufficient

Alcohol 06 Mar 2008 13:14 #3713

• solstice
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Solstice, teeth and dental troubles are a definite sign of Celiac...didn't you say you tested negative? If you're still getting even small amounts of gluten in your diet you may continue to malabsorb many minerals, even if you take large amounts of supplements...but don't stop taking them.

Alcohol 06 Mar 2008 14:37 #3714

• solstice
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
yes I tested negative on a blood test...but I had stopped eating gluten at that point so it might not have been sensitive enough, although the doc claims it was.  And I tested negative to a wheat allergy with a RAST test.  So who knows?!  My mom has severe teeth issues but is also extremely overweight.  She thinks I'm nuts with my diet!

Alcohol 06 Mar 2008 15:33 #3715

• solstice
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The dreaded "To drink or not to drink" dilemma. I really enjoy a glass of wine. To me, the most magical of evenings, in my mind's eye anyway, is a late spring evening when the wisteria is in bloom over the pergola in our little courtyard out back, and the fragrance of the flowers is intoxicating. Some of the more fun-loving neighbors have gathered, and we are all sitting around, chatting, a little music in the background, enjoying a fresh, delicious meal right off the grill and sipping red wine. And somehow in my mind the red wine is an integral part of this whole magical evening.

That being said, at this point in my life, every evening doesn't have to be that "magical" evening. I've gone through periods of, looking back now over the past few years, some pretty heavy drinking. Life feels better, more manageable, less crazy, when I'm not drinking so much. I don't think I was even really tasting the wine (or booze) during that phase. Now, the occasional wine or beer is much more enjoyable.

Alcohol 06 Mar 2008 18:09 #3716

• solstice
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
[user=176]Crystal1972[/user] wrote:

...... To me, the most magical of evenings, in my mind's eye anyway, is a late spring evening when the wisteria is in bloom over the pergola in our little courtyard out back, and the fragrance of the flowers is intoxicating. Some of the more fun-loving neighbors have gathered, and we are all sitting around, chatting, a little music in the background, enjoying a fresh, delicious meal right off the grill and sipping red wine. And somehow in my mind the red wine is an integral part of this whole magical evening.

Ooooh, that does sound wonderful...I'm wishin it was spring already so I could come over to your backyard. It's sooo cold here in Iowa.  I actually like a nice glass of crispy, fruity Sauvignon Blanc.

But I have to be just as careful not to over do it as you all.....even with over 10 years of being PMS free.

One other thing....as we age our tolerance for alcohol decreases due to liver function.

Alcohol 07 Mar 2008 00:56 #3717

• solstice
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
how old are all of you gals? I turned 30 last May and keep lamenting that everything went downhill since then...ugh!

Oh...that does paint a pretty picture :) I think I have to take a long long break from alcohol and I cant drink beer and wine anyway. I MISS BEER

Alcohol 07 Mar 2008 02:15 #3718

• solstice
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Haven't you heard of gluten-free beer? Not that I'm pushing it, but if you get a handle on your symptoms and really want to have one there are several on the market now...however they are kind of expensive... see this link

Alcohol 07 Mar 2008 12:47 #3719

• solstice
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I tried GF beer once and it was ok, but it just wasnt the same y/k?  also since I'm trying to avoid yeast as well it's out for now.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds