Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Turtle's Journey - week 6

Turtle's Journey - week 6 24 Nov 2008 04:06 #3856

• Turtle
  • Turtle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
It's Sunday night and I'm ready to call it a day.

This week (my 2nd luteal week): Monday until my period starts is usually my very worst days. Monday I was very tired emotionally and mentally. It was still very cold and I didn't feel like I got the rest I needed over the weekend. I spent Monday night with a mild headache, getting caught up on my Tivo before taking and advil and going to bed early.

Woke up Tuesday more rested and upbeat. My symptoms were definitely manageable and Monday was my worst day mentally. Still cheating with tortilla chips and salsa and I was drinking a bit more coffee/soy drinks this week. Friday I bought a box of brownie-bites from whole foods (dairy free) and they're gone now. My boyfriend had some, but I know I ate the majority of them.

Didn't start my period until Saturday morning which is one reason I don't like the new birth control. I used to get my period (and relief) starting Wednesday. Saturday I felt lousy, it was cold, I had mild cramping. I walked the dog, which made me feel better and ran 4 miles outside. Movement helped get rid of the cramping and my run felt great! Even decided to change my Nike+ powersong from Breaking the Habit by Lincoln Park to Soak Up the Sun by Sheryl Crow.

Too much sugar this week, particularly this weekend. I need to go food shopping. I had Chipotle twice this weekend, which is within rules, but I ate too much both times. Will do better this week! Most of the junk I ate this week was over this weekend. I was very hungry and didn't have many supplies in the house.

Going to get some Coconut ice cream for Thanksgiving desert. My "mother-in-law" is cooking us a German-thanksgiving (my name for it), so we're having Sour Braten (my first beef in a while) and Spaetzle instead of the Turkey and stuff. It's the first week of my follicular phase and I'll only have a small portion of the beef.

Tuesday I'm excited to try out a new restaurant in Evanston, IL Rose's Wheat Free Bakery that is wheat free (my "sister-in-law" has celiac) and all their bread is dairy free! I get to have a sandwich!!! Probably just grilled chicken, but a sandwich!!!

I'm tired, but I'm doing more because I feel good. So I think, when I'm cranky it's because I'm tired, and I'm tired because I'm trying to do more. Either way, I feel like I'm in control, grounded and more myself - even when I'm cranky. Eating this way is helping, no question.

Will get more veggies and less sugar this week. Promise!

Turtle

Read my [url=view_topic.php?id=1376&forum_id=5]introduction[/url], [url=view_topic.php?id=1380&forum_id=7]week 1[/url], [url=view_topic.php?id=1381&forum_id=7]week 2[/url], week 3 , week 4 or week 5 .

Turtle's Journey - week 6 24 Nov 2008 12:31 #3857

• Turtle
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Turtle,

Hang in there, if you've seen improvements with just the changes you've made avoiding dairy, just think how much better you'd feel if you stuck to the diet? :)

If you're still having cramps, you might want to pay closer attention to the saturated fats, trans fats and hydrogenated fats you're consuming through processed foods. Just read the label for total fat and look at the ingredient list for hydrogenated oils. Are you taking the recommended fish oil and flax seed oil? These are anti inflammatory and counter balance the saturated fats..but they can't compensate if you're overdoing the bad fats.

Chipotle is pretty good as long as you go light on the salad dressing. Check out this Chipotle nutrition calculator, it's great for figuring out what you're eating there. Check out the salad dressing :?......

It sounds like you've thought about Thanksgiving dinner (everybody gets Thanksgiving off) German food sounds really good to me as a change from the traditional turkey and stuffing.

Turtle, it sure sounds like you could have a problem with SAD, have you checked into any full spectrum lamps? I have a brother who suffers, well to be honest I do too if I don't get outside everyday. A full spectrum light somewhere would be good on those days it's too cold to go outside. It can make a difference in the quality of sleep too. Bright light is connected to the production of melatonin. Vitamin D is also tied to sunlight so hopefully you're taking extra D3 with your calcium. I won't suggest you go to a tanning booth, but.....there are tanning bulbs that provide enough UVB to produce the precursor of vitamin D in the skin.....just saying. Be careful, you don't want to go too long (5-10 min) is all you'll need to bump up your production levels. DO NOT LOOK AT THE BULBS without eye goggles on.

I've heard about Roses wheat free bakery....it sounds really good.

Keep up the good work!

Turtle's Journey - week 6 24 Nov 2008 20:09 #3858

• Turtle
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the support Debra, just wanted to answer some of your questions.

SAD, I probably do have it, I hate February and every year at that time, I'm ready to pack my bags and move back home to NJ.

My supplement has a high dose of vitamin D in it. I'll have to double check the level.

I was researching the spectrum lights on Monday and two things make me think it's not an option: 1) cost - average lamp is $100-200 2) In order to really have light therapy work, you have to get 30 minutes of sitting in front of the light with your eyes open in the morning. My pre-work ritual is already jammed packed (walking the dog, making lunch, making coffee), and I just can't see making room for another half hour activity.

I am making an effort to look indirectly in the direction of the sun when it is out with my eyes open to help with the melitonin. I walk the dog for 30 minutes in the am, weather permitting and if the sun is out, this is an extra boost. Cloudy days, I definitely feel tired on. Could be SAD, could be psychosomatic. How do you tell?

I get the fish oils in my supplement, not sure if it has flax too, I'll check. I think it does.

That Chipotle calculator made me not want to go there anymore! The rice has soy bean oil in it, and after adding everything I get, I was like, wow! 22g of fat. (I get guac and I was eating chips). The chips are horrible for you - fat wise. I get crispy tacos, which compared to the soft and the burrito is the better option. Will definitely not be having that for a while, and when I do, will skip the chips.

Got supplies (apples, pears, bananas, dried cranberries and dry roasted pecans) at Trader Joe's today.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds