Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Turtle's Journey - week 9

Turtle's Journey - week 9 15 Dec 2008 21:14 #3876

• Turtle
  • Turtle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
One more week and I will have completed 2 full cycles following the diet. And 10 full weeks being dairy free! I'm definitely a believer that I should eat this way all the time. I've lost 13 lbs. I feel stronger and more stable. More predictable. Last week (first week of luteal) was hard. Weather was all over. It's too cold here.

I really cannot have any alcohol. I had a small glass of wine on Sunday (I'm estimating a few sips = 4-5 ozs) and I felt low all week. Tuesday (the first day I usually feel down from alcohol) I felt fine, I think it was because I took a major antibiotic on Monday to try and battle a cold sore. But Wed and Thursday (Thursday being the worst), I just couldn't shake the feeling down. Even my run got me angry.

I was okay over the weekend, but I was soooo tired. The sun didn't come out at all so by 3pm I wanted to just go back to bed, despite the warmer temperature outside. (SAD symptoms). This morning I saw some sun and I think I should be back to balance after the alcohol, so I feel better than I did over the weekend, despite the 7.5 degree temps and negative windchills!

After this week, I'm suppose to start experimenting with adding the dairy back in, right? I was planning to start with bread. I will probably wait till after the holiday though. I'm going home to family and that's got it's own stressors to begin with.

My question is how cautious do I need to be Christmas eve and day with my eating cheats? I am definitely not drinking, but I was planning to allow some dairy that day. So I don't stress out my relatives with diet restrictions and my aunt makes a killer cheesecake I would like to have a bite or two of (I'm going to avoid the stomach ache and not have an entire slice, although I'd love one). What kinds of symptoms may I expect after? I assume I might have some mood symptoms, gas, bowel issues and stomach aches, but anything else I should be forewarned of?

This has been great. And I feel like anyone who feels agitated or depressed should try it, because it has made a huge difference in my mood. Even if they don't suffer from PMS or PMDD.

Have a great week.
Turtle

Read my [url=view_topic.php?id=1376&forum_id=5]introduction[/url], [url=view_topic.php?id=1380&forum_id=7]week 1[/url], [url=view_topic.php?id=1381&forum_id=7]week 2[/url], [url=view_topic.php?id=1390&forum_id=4]week 3[/url], [url=view_topic.php?id=1398&forum_id=4]week 4[/url], [url=view_topic.php?id=1403&forum_id=4]week 5[/url], [url=view_topic.php?id=1411&forum_id=4]week 6[/url], [url=view_topic.php?id=1416&forum_id=4]week 7[/url] or week 8 .

Turtle's Journey - week 9 15 Dec 2008 22:50 #3877

• Turtle
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
[user=597]Turtle[/user] wrote:

One more week and I will have completed 2 full cycles following the diet. And 10 full weeks being dairy free! I'm definitely a believer that I should eat this way all the time. I've lost 13 lbs. I feel stronger and more stable. More predictable. Last week (first week of luteal) was hard. Weather was all over. It's too cold here.

Congratulations Turtle! i can't believe it's been 9 weeks...Good job, I understand how you feel about the weather...it's only 4 degrees here in Des Moines. UGH :?

I really cannot have any alcohol. I had a small glass of wine on Sunday (I'm estimating a few sips = 4-5 ozs) and I felt low all week. Tuesday (the first day I usually feel down from alcohol) I felt fine, I think it was because I took a major antibiotic on Monday to try and battle a cold sore. Okay, let's talk about this cold sore....Was the cold sore on the outside of your mouth, say on your lip? Or was it inside your mouth like an ulcer (Canker sore). And....FYI most cold sores on the outside of your mouth that blister up are caused by a VIRUS...the herpes simplex 1 virus so antiboiotics DON'T WORK. Antibiotics only work on bacteria :) Now, if the cold sore was inside the mouth we need to do a little more investigating because it could very well be caused by gluten....yeah, yeah I know gluten. But then again it's probably like you said a regular cold sore. If it's more like an ulcer type sore then by golly you need to be thinking gluten. See these articles and pictures Dr Murray , Dr.Weil , Wikipedia has picture for comparison.

But Wed and Thursday (Thursday being the worst), I just couldn't shake the feeling down. Even my run got me angry.

I was okay over the weekend, but I was soooo tired. The sun didn't come out at all so by 3pm I wanted to just go back to bed, despite the warmer temperature outside. (SAD symptoms). This morning I saw some sun and I think I should be back to balance after the alcohol, so I feel better than I did over the weekend, despite the 7.5 degree temps and negative windchills! Sorry about that

I'm suppose to start experimenting with adding the dairy back in, right? I was planning to start with bread. I will probably wait till after the holiday though. I'm going home to family and that's got it's own stressors to begin with. Okay now I'm confused, have you been avoiding bread and gluten too? I though you were only avoiding dairy.

My question is how cautious do I need to be Christmas eve and day with my eating cheats? I am definitely not drinking, but I was planning to allow some dairy that day. So I don't stress out my relatives with diet restrictions and my aunt makes a killer cheesecake I would like to have a bite or two of (I'm going to avoid the stomach ache and not have an entire slice, although I'd love one). What kinds of symptoms may I expect after? I assume I might have some mood symptoms, gas, bowel issues and stomach aches, but anything else I should be forewarned of? Okay, why do you want to subject yourself to feeling bad just so your relatives feel better about you? Just say you're avoiding dairy because you're lactose intolerant, or just say you've been avoiding dairy and feeling better. If you're having an immune reaction to casein, then I think you need to avoid it all the time. A delayed allergy to casein is much different than lactose intolerance, where you're short on lactase the enzyme that breaks it down. But then again if you miss eating cheese cake than trying a little will let you know if you start to react to it.

This has been great. And I feel like anyone who feels agitated or depressed should try it, because it has made a huge difference in my mood. Even if they don't suffer from PMS or PMDD.

Have a great week.
Turtle

Read my [url=view_topic.php?id=1376&forum_id=5]introduction[/url], [url=view_topic.php?id=1380&forum_id=7]week 1[/url], [url=view_topic.php?id=1381&forum_id=7]week 2[/url], [url=view_topic.php?id=1390&forum_id=4]week 3[/url], [url=view_topic.php?id=1398&forum_id=4]week 4[/url], [url=view_topic.php?id=1403&forum_id=4]week 5[/url], [url=view_topic.php?id=1411&forum_id=4]week 6[/url], [url=view_topic.php?id=1416&forum_id=4]week 7[/url] or week 8 .

Thanks for your wonderful update! Please reply to my questions to you.

Turtle's Journey - week 9 15 Dec 2008 23:11 #3878

• Turtle
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the response Debra, here's answers to your questions:

Okay now I'm confused, have you been avoiding bread and gluten too? I though you were only avoiding dairy.

I haven't found a nondairy bread (except for the gluten free from Rose's Bakery). Bagels and Wraps seem to be dairy free, but not loaves of breads or rolls which usually have Whey. If you know of one that's mass market, please let me know. Oh, that makes sense. I'll see if I can find something for you.

[/color]

FYI most cold sores on the outside of your mouth that blister up are caused by a VIRUS...the herpes simplex 1 virus so antiboiotics DON'T WORK.

My PCP gave me Valtrex because I get severe cold sores (I've had scars), and I can usually tell when I'm about to get one. One day of 2 pills 2x, will prevent the sore from happening. Monday morning I woke up with one started (symptoms must have started while I slept). I did the cycle of pills anyway. I still got a cold sore, but it wasn't bad - skipped right to the healing end of the cycle. Okay good...Valtrex is an anti-viral, not an antibiotic.

On another note, my boyfriend does suffer from canker sores. We do believe he has a gluten sensitivity but he's not ready to go completely gluten free. I've reduced our intake of wheat in general because I'm not eating bread and I'm increasing the variety of the whole grains we eat. I haven't been avoiding gluten though and still have oatmeal or shredded wheat bran for breakfast. I do avoid white flour. Okay that's good. Your boyfriend needs to be willing and ready....you can lead a horse to water but......

Okay, why do you want to subject yourself to feeling bad just so your relatives feel better about you? Just say you're avoiding dairy because you're lactose intolerant, or just say you've been avoiding dairy and feeling better.

Well, I don't know how extreme my reaction is to dairy.
I haven't tested it yet. Gas and sometimes loose stools were the physical symptoms I was aware of and for a slice of pizza & cheese, I was willing to suffer that. If dairy causes rapid thoughts, anxiety and mood issues like alcohol does, I'm going to avoid it like an allergy. If my body tolerates the small amount in bread, I will probably limit dairy, stick with soy for lattes and such but have a sandwich sometimes. I haven't cheated with the no-dairy rule of the diet. Christmas is at the end of my time home, so I figured it would be okay to have a few things. But I'll probably avoid most dairy that day anyway (like bread and cheese). I don't want to kill myself with stomach issues. I plan to be nondairy all the other days I'm at home. And experiment when I get back. But I was going to cheat on Christmas. I think I might wait until after Christmas to re-introduce dairy, just so you don't have problems around your family. Do it on a Friday so you have the weekend to recover and be near a bathroom.

Would you advise against that? I have no idea how a bite of cheesecake will effect my head. My stomach, I don't really care. It's the mental symptoms I'm worried about. Why not just take a piece of cheesecake home with you for later.

Thank you for all your support through this! You're so welcome, I'm glad you're willing to be so consistent with the diet to give it a fair chance. Most people wouldn't last this long avoiding dairy....it's really tough.
Turtle

Turtle's Journey - week 9 16 Dec 2008 00:47 #3879

• Turtle
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Turtle,

Please see may answers in blue above.

Turtle's Journey - week 9 16 Dec 2008 01:10 #3880

• Turtle
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Turtle,

Congrats on almost 2 full months on the cycle diet and being dairy free!  That is awesome!  After reading this entry I am wondering if wine/alcohol and/or dairy effect me the same way the effect you -anxiety, mood issues, rapid thoughts, etc.  I started my period on Friday and expected to feel good.  I had a margarita Friday night and one glass of wine Saturday night.  I felt down and a little out of control all weekend.  I also ate so bad all weekend but I am getting back on track now.  What you wrote got me thinking.  Thanks for posting.  I'll continue to check your progress.  Keep up the good work! 

Michelle

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds