Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Nuts

Nuts 12 Jan 2009 18:45 #3886

• kbowden
  • kbowden's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Are nuts another for of protein or are they a group by themselves?  What are their serving sizes?

Nuts 12 Jan 2009 19:02 #3887

• kbowden
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Kbowden,

Welcome to the Cycle Diet! My answer to you is it depends on the nut. Some nuts have a better protein profile than others. You're looking at about 4 grams of protein per oz of most nuts, peanuts have about 5 grams of protein per oz, but they also have more saturated fats.

If you are just starting out on the Cycle Diet I recommend either walnuts or almonds due to their great fat profile and omega 3 content. Peanut butter is okay as long as it's the natural kind that separates.

Regarding amounts it really depends if you are trying to limit calories, since most nuts are calorie dense. I like to limit nuts to a serving size at around 1 oz or about 20 almonds or 10 English walnut halves or about 1/4 cup. If you're just adding them to your cereal or salad than just use a few as a garnishment. If you have a calculator handy here's the break down on calories. There are 16 Tablespoons in 1 cup if your going to estimate.

1 cup of chopped walnuts is 785 calories

1 cup of walnut halves is 654

1 cup of blanched almonds is 842

Here's a bit of calorie info for you:

For every 3.5 oz's

Almonds           615

Brazil Nuts         682

Cashew Nuts      575

Walnuts            690

Peanuts, plain, kernel only 565

Pistachios, with shells 330

Hazelnuts, kernel only 650

Pine Nuts          690

Coconut, dessicated 604

Chestnuts          170

Sesame Seeds  600

Pumpkin Seeds  570

Sunflower Seeds  200

Nuts 12 Jan 2009 20:09 #3888

• kbowden
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Kbowden,

Welcome to the Cycle diet! :D You are going to love it...okay make that some of us love it.

So what's your story? Please share, we've all had similar experiences with the ugly PMS/PMDD monster. Be assured there's hope, if I can do it you can too!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds