Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cycle Diet and breast feeding

Cycle Diet and breast feeding 19 Aug 2009 08:25 #3938

• jennymadrid
  • jennymadrid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
As you know, Debra, I'm new to the cycle diet.  Lots of questions keep popping into my head but most of them are answered either on your website or on this support board.  I would like specific advice , however, on the question of breast feeding.  I have an eighteen month old baby whom I still breast feed and I wondered whether this makes any difference to how I follow the diet.

Thanks!

Cycle Diet and breast feeding 19 Aug 2009 15:08 #3939

• jennymadrid
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Ooh Okay, yes this is a good question. But first let me ask you a question.

Q-Is your child colicky with lots of gas, smelly dippers? (more smelly than normal)

If the answer is yes, then as you drop the dairy or wheat from your diet you may see a change in your baby's health, happiness and reactions. The IgA antibodies against gluten (wheat, rye, barley) and casein (dairy) do pass through into breast milk. IgG and IgM are also present in breast milk but the main thing is if you're passing an antibody to casein (cow's milk) or gliadin (wheat protein) than your baby will be colicky..a very unhappy baby.  

Now after saying this, it's a very good idea to be tested for these antibodies as well prior to dropping wheat and dairy from your diet. 

The original Cycle Diet is balanced for all women 18-55 so increased nutrients from whole fruits and vegetables along with a good balance of Essential fatty acids, calcium makes for a very good diet postnatal. Are you still on a prenatal vitamin, sometimes peds recommend staying on it while breast feeding.

Cycle Diet and breast feeding 19 Aug 2009 17:35 #3940

• jennymadrid
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for that, Debra.  Fortunately, I eliminated most dairy from my diet (only eating bifidus yog and a bit of milk in my tea) when I fell pregnant with Rory.  I've kept that up ever since because I remembered how collicky my eldest son was when I had cow's milk when I was breast feeding him..  I have no idea about wheat tolerance but he doesn't have particularly smelly nappies and is a generally happy baby.  The only problem I have with him is that he's not a great sleeper but that seems to run in the family..

Obviously, Rory has a varied diet now and eats just about everything, so my breast milk is far from the only nutrition he receives.  I hope to be able to continue till he's two so he will definitely be implicated in my following the cycle diet - but for the better, I hope. 

I must admit I was cross when my period returned a few months ago - I had hoped it would hold off until I'd stopped breast feeding but it wasn't to be!  But nearly 2 years without a period isn't bad so I shouldn't complain!  That time was heaven because the symptoms I suffer associated with my cycle were virtually non existent.  My mood was always fine and I had more energy and no headaches.  Bliss!  But as soon as my period started again..blam!  Once a month I'm feeling miserable, angry, hopeless, depressed...and it's been getting worse as every month goes by. 

Sorry for sending such a long message, I'm sure you must be busy so don't worry about getting back to me!

Many thanks

Jenny  

Cycle Diet and breast feeding 19 Aug 2009 17:41 #3941

• jennymadrid
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry!  Forgot to say that I take a post natal breast feeding supplement sometimes (when I'm feeling especially tired, for example) but I don't really like taking multi vitamins because I worry about the imbalaces they could create in my system.

On the other hand, my sister has read that it is beneficial to take flaxseed oil capsules.  I'm considering taking them especially if the health gain is substantial..

Thanks again!

Cycle Diet and breast feeding 20 Aug 2009 13:11 #3942

• jennymadrid
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Okay Jenny,

I usually recommend a regular daily type multi-vitamin as insurance during the luteal phase of the diet, but you don't have to take one if you really don't want to. The diet is good enough so that you should get the right amount of nutrients.

Fish oil is an excellent source of EPA and DHA essential fatty acids necessary for brain development in children as well as important for anyone with depression. Flax seed oil contains ALA which is converted in smaller less available form of DHA. Eating good amounts of fatty fish a couple times a week is also good.

Note: if you are lactose intolerant I would suggest you avoid ALL dairy during the first couple of cycles in order to keep gut inflammation down and to determine possible casein problem (delayed food sensitivity). Yogurt doesn't have a ton of lactose but enough to cause problems. You should actually be taking a calcium/magnesium/D tablet to make up for any malabsorption you might be suffering.

Love the picture!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds