Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Migraine

Migraine 03 Nov 2009 08:59 #3962

• vethomson
  • vethomson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Debra, since folowing the plan i can honestly say that the blackness that has thwarted my life has lifted. I actually feel normal. so a big thankyou to you.

however, this coincides exactly with my monthly migraines taking a big turn for the worse. Their intensity and longevity have both greatly increased. Any ideas.

thanks honey.

victoria

ps i dont drink alcohol at all so its not that. they always hit the 10th day before my period so that would make it a hormone related issue rather than an external trigger right? i think its the oestrogen? any natural remedies? i hate taking meds!

Migraine 03 Nov 2009 14:04 #3963

• vethomson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi V,

Congratulations!!

Okay, yes...most likely hormone related but may be triggered by something you are eating, smelling or coming into contact with.

The stickler is figuring it out. Most commonly: Citrus, chocolate, sulfite/sulfates (preservatives), blue cheese or aged cheeses, wheat, (gluten) and of course wine and alcohol...this is for the benefit of others reading here :).

Write down what you're eating on that day and start eliminating each one.

Have you talked to a doctor about your migraines? I know I mentioned gluten to you before but you may want to try eliminating gluten the week prior to see what happens. A gluten intolerance doesn't always manifest with GI problems...many times it's neurological.

Migraine 03 Nov 2009 20:23 #3964

• vethomson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
have the same foods week in week out. following the plan really well. no dairy, no meat at all anymore. taking all the supplements. think thats why im seeing such results with the depression.

have seen gp and am on meds.  gluten intolerance was ruled out after the tests you suggested.

do have triggers, oranges being major one at other times but these migraines are very particular :

10/12 days before period

always major visual disturbance.

are there any other supplements that might improve the effect of the hormone spike?

yours hopefully, victoria

Migraine 03 Nov 2009 21:00 #3965

• vethomson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
V,

Try giving up the gluten as a test on your next cycle....

Just because you test negative for Celiac doesn't mean you're not having a response to it. Eliminate it starting at ovulation and then come back and let me know if you're still having them.

I don't recommend any other herbals, sorry.

Migraine 03 Nov 2009 21:47 #3966

• vethomson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
V,

You might want to look at this blog dedicated to Migraine and gluten:

http://www.thedailyheadache.com/2008/09/migraine-and-gluten-sensitivity.html

and this from the People's Pharmacy

http://www.healthcentral.com/peoplespharmacy/408/61188.html

If you eliminate wheat, rye, barley and still have migraines than you might want to consider bio-identical hormone...possibly progesterone, but you'll want to do a saliva test to make sure you're indeed progesterone deficient.

Migraine 04 Nov 2009 12:07 #3967

• vethomson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks so much for your support, thought and constant encouragement.

Migraine 04 Nov 2009 12:35 #3968

• vethomson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
You are so welcome, hope your sister is doing as well as you are. 

Migraine 04 Nov 2009 18:49 #3969

• vethomson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
one more for you...was on another post.

This study is too small to have a large amount of weight, but I've also noticed many of my clients migraines have diminished while increasing calcium and vitamin D. Some women get headaches from food intolerances.

Vitamin D and calcium in menstrual migraine.

Thys-Jacobs S.
Two premenopausal women with a history of menstrually-related migraines and premenstrual syndrome were treated with a combination of vitamin D and elemental calcium for late luteal phase symptoms. Both cited a major reduction in their headache attacks as well as premenstrual symptomatology within 2 months of therapy. These observations suggest that vitamin D and calcium therapy should be considered in the treatment of migraine headaches.

PMID: 8002332 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Migraine 05 Nov 2009 09:23 #3970

• vethomson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
thats very interesting. whats the maximum amount (mg) of calcium supplement i could safely ingest do you think?

Migraine 05 Nov 2009 12:13 #3971

• vethomson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
The maximum UL for calcium is 2,500mg a day from all food sources so don't take more than a total of 1,700mg in supplements to make room for food sources.

The more important nutrient is vitamin D, you need at least 1,000-2,000 IU's a day especially in the winter when we don't make it in our skin. This may be different for anyone living further south who still may be able to get more UVB.

note: this study is only looking at calcium and vit D... if you are gluten intolerant (which I suspect), inflammation in the upper GI tract will reduce absorption of not only calcium and vit D, but other important minerals: magnesium, zinc, copper, iron, potassium, phosphorus, not to mention the B vitamins.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds