Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: what counts as first day of period

what counts as first day of period 01 Aug 2010 08:15 #3984

• susan
  • susan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have brownish spotting  before the "start" of my period i.e. actual red bleeding.  I have always thought the first day of red blood, usually the most painful, was the start of my period, and the spotting beforehand was just an indication that my period was due.  But now that I wish to know when I'm ovulating so I can adhere to this cycle diet, I would like to clarify this.  Should I count the first day of spotting as day one of my period? 

The reason I'm unsure is because there can be as much as five days before blood actually flows, and it seems that there are only a few days (maybe a week) after my period (actual bleeding) finishes before I seem to start premenstrual symptoms all over again.  How can I know for certain?  Does anyone know if there is a definitive answer to this?

Thanks.

Susan

what counts as first day of period 01 Aug 2010 13:16 #3985

• susan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Susan, Welcome to the Cycle Diet,

You ask a good question but a difficult one to answer without knowing more about your individual situation. Normally women with a typical cycle may spot for 1-2 days prior to the full flow. I normally suggest that the 1st day of full flow be considered as day 1 of the cycle, but in your case this might not actually be day one since you spot for many days. You don't actually say how many days of flow you have. My concern in your case is why you spot for so many days, this is unusual and could be a sign of a problem that needs more investigation as well as why you are having PMS/PMDD symptoms.

Do you have a good obgyn? Have your hormone levels been tested throughout your cycle (especially prior to your period)? Low progesterone can sometimes cause long spotting and a very heavy period due to estrogen dominance. Have you ever had a sonogram to see if there are possible obstructions (fibroids?). Have you ever been examined for endometriosis? Do you wear an IUD? Many times an IUD will cause irritation in the lining prior to full flow as the lining increases. Some IUD's contain a low dose of hormone that could also cause a bit of mid-cycle bleeding or spotting.

Have you recently been on a very low carb diet and/or on the pill? I've noticed some women begin breakthrough bleeding (brown spotting) while on very low carb diets.

Sorry about all the questions, just wanted to give you something to think about if you haven't already.

The other thing you can do in order to find out when your luteal phase begins is to purchase LH (luteinizing hormone) test strips. When LH spikes ovulation is usually the next day...that is if you are ovulating. You may also consider taking your basal body temp daily (AM) and watch for an increase. Basal temps can increase up to a degree at ovulation.

You may also consider following the luteal phase diet plan your entire cycle until you notice  improvements. This is the best solution if you have any food sensitivities such as dairy or gluten.

Good luck with the diet.

what counts as first day of period 09 Aug 2010 17:32 #3986

• susan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the response.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds