Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: new and confused about some food options

new and confused about some food options 23 May 2011 00:42 #4076

• mrsnaj
  • mrsnaj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi! I am getting ready to start the cycle diet and have a few questions about food choices and serving sizes... What is the serving size for nuts, and under what category are they considered to be in (protien?).  I saw soy cheese in the recipe for egg breakfast sandwich and am also confused as to what category the soy cheese would be in.  I'd like to incorporate it more into the diet but am unsure if it is to be counted as a calcium or protien block.  There also definitely are some recipes I'd like to try out but I am confused as to what they count as (how many blocks protien, grain, veggie, etc. or is one serving equivalent to, for example, the recommended luteal lunch?)  I'd also love some suggestions for whole grain cereals aside from the few listed in the sample menus.  Thanks so much for any input.  I'm really looking forward to beginning this diet and ending my symptoms!

new and confused about some food options 23 May 2011 01:12 #4077

• mrsnaj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Welcome to the Cycle Diet Mrsnaj,

If you look at the foods to include page...to the right side you will find the base plan which should help you with some details. If you look at each of the columns on foods to include you will find portion sizes but for nuts- read the label on the package. Almonds as an example serving size would be 1/4 cup and 6g's of protein, and 15g fat, however you'll want to eat almonds for their healthy fats too. The serving size of walnuts also 1/4 cup & 5g of protein are good source of omega 3's ALAs but punch a bit higher calorie and 20g fat if you're watching calories. Use nuts as both a fat and protein source. If you're watching calories you'll want to limit nuts to 1 serving a day. If you want to include soy...watch for sensitivities. Soy is high in protein but not naturally high in calcium so read the label to make sure it's fortified with calcium. If you are lactose intolerant there are many non-dairy substitutes you can try besides soy. You can also find a nice soy-free, dairy-free cheese sub call daiya..look for it at your health food store.

Also one note, please watch for reaction or digestive issues with wheat/gluten...I've had many clients/women test positive for gluten intolerance and malabsorption in my practice. If you are okay with wheat, look for whole grain cereals low in sugar such as a bran cereal. Please let me know if you have ever been diagnosed with any kind of IBS/IBD or any other syndrome.

I would also suggest you order the cycle diet workbook to help you with other details. The menus and information on the website is not for anyone with food sensitivites, but notes where gluten is. Please do not remove gluten or wheat from your diet without first being tested for gluten intolerance or Celiac disease. If you are lactose intolerant, you will see better results if you go dairy-free for a few months and then introduce it back slowly to see if you can tolerate it.

The Cycle Diet Base Plan

8-16 oz 225-450ml. water on waking

20-30 min. exercise

Breakfast: 1 fruit, 1 to 2 grain or 1 protein and 1-2 vegetables,**1 calcium source, *1 Essential Fatty Acid (EFA) source. 1 daily multi-vitamin

8 oz/225ml water or tea

AM Snack: 1 fruit or vegetable

8 oz/225ml water or tea

Lunch: 1 protein/soy or 1 to 2 grain/bean, 2 vegetables, 1 fruit, **1 calcium source, *1 EFA source

Afternoon snack: **1 calcium source, 1 fruit or vegetable

20-60 min. exercise

Dinner:
1 protein/soy or
1 to 2 grain/bean,
2 vegetables,
**1 calcium source, *1 EFA source

Optional PM snack or dessert:
Whatever you want from included foods

Be sure and see both the follicular and luteal phase menu links for more specifics.

*EFA= essential fatty acid from 1 flaxseed oil capsule, 1 Tbs. fresh ground flaxseed meal, 1 fish oil capsule, or fatty fish from list
**Calcium source= 1 300-500-mg calcium + vitamin D tablet, or 1 cup of low fat soy or organic skim milk or 6oz SF yogurt.

new and confused about some food options 24 May 2011 17:48 #4075

• mrsnaj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks! I tried to order the workbook but when I login with my username and password when promted at the shopping cart, it says that it's invalid.  yet I can login to the forum with the same credentials.  I prefer to order online not the phone.  I also am confused about how much flexibility I have with the plan.  I definitely do not want to lose any weight.  I am confused as to if I don't eat all of the portions, say for example, in the lunch section, can I make up for it/eat it with another meal or snack?  Is it the overall number of servings a day I can follow or do I have to stick with what is under each meal/snack category?  When I read the basic plans it seems pretty easy but I get confused when I start reading the message boards.  There are so many more things that seem to be allowed than are on the list? Like smart balance.  I'm not sure about condiments.  And I still don't understand if I follow a recipe, does this contain all the components of a dinner, or lunch, how do I know? Do I need to add anything?

new and confused about some food options 24 May 2011 21:44 #4074

• mrsnaj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Mrsnaj.

The main website shopping cart is a different database than this support board. You need to register there too. You can use the same username and password if you want but you need to register twice (sorry) it's more to do with different software. I added this support board after the main website was created.

You will see different recommendations made to different women due to the wide range of food sensitivities. Some women are lactose intolerant, some are dairy (casein sensitive) Some women are gluten intolerant and some have wheat allergies...some have combinations of both, there are differences. Many are sensitive to sugar, eggs, nuts, peanuts, citrus and food additives (colors, and preservatives). You will notice the base plan includes options for dairy in the follicular phase but is limited during the luteal phase. But if you have a problem digesting dairy you may want to limit it in both phases. If you have been diagnosed with IBS you will want to get retested for gluten intolerance or sensitivity. 

The main website does not take into consideration food sensitivities. That's why you will see different recommendations for different individuals.

Hope that makes things a little less confusing.

new and confused about some food options 24 May 2011 21:58 #4073

• mrsnaj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Mrsnaj,

Please call me at (515) 221-0236 and I will help you get started right. Okay? :)

new and confused about some food options 28 May 2011 10:36 #4072

• mrsnaj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the help. It has been difficult for me to ge to the phone. I have 2 boys 3&4 so my house is never quiet! I have been following the base plan omittin dairy (mainly because it is not clear to me what "limitEd amounts" is). Could you please clarify what is a recommended amount might be during both the luteal and follicular phases? Also I've been following the plan for 6 days and have been hungry. I really do not want to lose weight in fact I would like to gain 5. But I want to do it healthily. Is it ok if I follow the base plan and just add more of he included foods. That, along with the dairy amounts are my main questions. The k you for being so responsive and helpful:)

new and confused about some food options 28 May 2011 10:59 #4078

• mrsnaj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Good morning MrsNaj,

Are you lactose intolerant? Than take all dairy out of your diet for at least 3 months in both phases and then try adding it back in a little at a time to see if you can handle it.

If you are hungry increase the portions, you should not be hungry on the plan.

If your hunger is out of control even with increased portions than I would suggest you be tested for gluten intolerance/sensitivity.

Good luck with the plan, but remember the base plan does not take into consideration food sensitivities.

Debra

new and confused about some food options 28 May 2011 14:18 #4079

• mrsnaj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm not lactose intolerant. My motivation for cutting out dairy would be for omitting the hormones from non organic dairy. I guess I could include organic ff milk and yogurt but wasn't sure about cheese. So if I'm not lactose intolerant and get organic, is there any difference in the amount of dairy I can consume in luteal vs. Follicular phase? I do not think the hunger is from a gluten intolerance. I have never had digestive issues. While I don't easily gain weight, I think it's just a metabolism thing. I have weighed more during more sedentary less healthy eating more alcohol consumption times as in the lifestyle of my early twenties. I am 35 now.

new and confused about some food options 28 May 2011 15:07 #4080

• mrsnaj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Mrs. N,

Please refer back to the last line above in the base plan I copy and pasted for you on this thread regarding calcium source foods which includes organic milk products. You will find more infomation inside the follicular menu plan  and luteal phase menu  links...also see the side panels of those pages for added tips on each meal plan.

If you don't find all the answers you are looking for in the website plan, please call me, I'd be happy to help you out on ordering the Original Cycle Diet workbook and with more specifics on dairy and dairy-free options/products. Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Debra
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds