Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Any Simple Directions?

Any Simple Directions? 21 Sep 2012 19:25 #4088

• temavama
  • temavama's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello! I know that I need to watch the foods I eat as I have definitely seen a connection between my level of PMS and the way I am eating (for example when I eat low carb my PMS symptoms practically disappear). I have looked at this website many times and love all the good information but I just wondered if there are any simple instructions for someone just starting out re what types of foods I should avoid during which phase. For example, during days 1-15 stay away from X and X and eat more of X and X and during days 16-31 stay away from X and X and eat more of X and X. Just trying to simplify so I will actually do this - even if it's just 1 suggestion for each phase I could start with that. Thank you so much!

Any Simple Directions? 21 Sep 2012 19:34 #4089

• temavama
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Interesting....you say when you eat low carb your PMS symptoms practically disappear. So when you are doing low-carb are you sugar & grain-free? Particularly looking at wheat when I say grain-free. I suspect the problem may be more gluten (dairy) intolerance.

Why not just eliminate wheat (gluten) and dairy for a full cycle and see how you do.
 BUT, before you do make sure you rule out celiac disease first by asking your primary doctor for the celiac panel.

Is there any family history of celiac or autoimmune? Have you been diagnosed with IBS/IBD or anything else?

Have you read through the entire CycleDiet website? There are a few pages you can go to for foods to include or foods to avoid....be sure and read the luteal phase plan too. Most recipes are GF and Dairy free optional with suggestions.

Hope that helps at least a little. If you want more personal attention please feel free to set up an appointment with me. I can also help you with food sensitivity testing as well.

Debra

Any Simple Directions? 21 Sep 2012 19:46 #4090

• temavama
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Debra thank you for your quick response! I eliminate sugar (has to be 5th ingredient or lower) and white flour (I still eat brown rice, potatoes, and Ezekiel bread). Do you really think the dairy needs to be eliminated? Maybe, if you have a sensititivty to it or if you're lactose intolerant. I always recommend a trial dairy elimination and then a challenge after a cycle or two just so you understand what kind of symptoms to look for. They don't always come immediately.  I have never tried to be gluten free (although I think the Ezekiel bread is....) No Ezekiel bread is sprouted but not GF sorry. I really have a hard time totally eliminating the sugar so I am trying to just go really light on any type of desserts right now, eating no white flour, and that's about it. For dairy I have skim milk, cheeses, greek yogurt or low carb yogurt (but I've trying not to eat this because of the artificial sugar), and occasionally ice cream. My family on my mom's side does have a history of IBS and Crohn's disease. So you would recommend keeping the sugar in, but eliminating gluten and dairy. If you had to pick one which would you choose - gluten seems so huge (isn't it in everything???). I recommend you get screened for celiac and Crohn's first and if the test comes back negative then order the stool test from www.enterolab.com for both gluten and dairy. However you can always do a trial gluten free/Dairy free after you've been screened for celiac.  Anyway, thank you so much for your help. We have already had a phone conversation and I tried medication but honestly when I eat low carb I feel like the medication is too much for me and I only take it around my period (for 10 days). As always, I am living....

One Day at a Time by the Grace of God

Any Simple Directions? 21 Sep 2012 20:37 #4091

• temavama
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Here's the problem, If you are having an immune response be it either a delayed or autoimmune T-cell mediated you will want to know it. Knowledge is power, and the sooner you get tested you will understand whether or not the diet is something you will need to follow for medical reasons as well as sanity/neurological reasons. Most of my clients who get some kind of testing understand
1) If it's autoimmune (celiac panel, Anti-nuclear antibody testing)
2) If it's just a food sensitivity/not autoimmune (enterolab.com testing, ALCAT testing)
3) If they have a predisposition for autoimmune they may be able to suppressed it for years with diet.

Nothing is ever that simple. As you learn about your predisposition to GI problems and truly what is a safe food for you then that's powerful knowledge.

Any Simple Directions? 28 Sep 2012 22:33 #4092

• temavama
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi there! I've been doing some poking around and I'm guessing I definitely do have at the least a sensitivity to gluten (not sure about the dairy). I know you think I should get tested, but I asked my primary care about this already and she thought I needed anxiety medicine. Of course she did. Primary physicians for 1) Are not nutritionists and 2) Do not (for the most part) understand food sensitivities. Many are still unfamiliar with Celiac disease or IBD. 3)Make money on writing a prescriptions.
I would suggest you ask for a referral to a gastro to be screened for celiac and a lactose/fructose intolerance test.

Should I just ask to be referred to a gastroenterologist? Also, is it wise to eliminate gluten and dairy at the same time or should I try one for a cycle and then the other so I know which one I am sensitive too. Also, I want to mention that I always have a loose bowel right before my menstration. Is this typical of everyone or does it also point to a sensitivity of some type. Thank you so much for this website. I know I am getting closer to making good food choices that allow me to the best I can be. I just need to be convicted that this is real and what I need to do; otherwise it's just so easy to say forget it and eat whatever I want.

Any Simple Directions? 29 Sep 2012 10:37 #4093

• temavama
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I also suggest you order the workbook for more detailed information about what to do regarding the GF and dairy-free diet and challenge. One of the reasons women with PMS/PMDD have continual problems is they have other underlying health issues, mostly GI issues. Where are you located, I may be able to recommend another doctor to you who may also confirm a gluten/dairy problem if you don't want to order through enterolab.

I also suggest you order at least one personal consult so I can answer your questions more thoroughly with ideas for other possible options.

here's the link for RD services www.cyclediet.com/services.php

Any Simple Directions? 29 Sep 2012 16:46 #4094

• temavama
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you! I am in Holbrook, MA approximately 17 miles south of Boston

Any Simple Directions? 29 Sep 2012 17:58 #4095

• temavama
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Are you far from Brighton? I would look into these NPs www.beaconnaturopathic.com/index.html or ask your Primary for a referral to a Gastro, which would then be covered by your insurance.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds