Forgot Password       
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hormone Suppression, Dietary Therapy, Surgery

Hormone Suppression, Dietary Therapy, Surgery 23 Apr 2007 22:10 #3060

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
1: Fertil Steril. 2007 Apr 13; [ahead of print]

Hormonal suppression treatment or dietary therapy versus placebo in the control of painful symptoms after conservative surgery for endometriosis stage III-IV. A randomized comparative trial.
Endometriosis Center, Section of Gynecology & Obstetrics, Department of Surgery.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the effectiveness for the outcomes of endometriosis-related pain and quality of life of conservative surgery plus placebo compared with conservative surgery plus hormonal suppression treatment or dietary therapy.

DESIGN: Randomized comparative trial.

SETTING: University hospital. PATIENT(S): Two hundred twenty-two consecutive women who underwent conservative pelvic surgery for symptomatic endometriosis stage III-IV (r-AFS). INTERVENTION(S): Six months of placebo (n = 110) versus GnRH-a (tryptorelin or leuprorelin, 3.75 mg every 28 days) (n = 39) or continuous estroprogestin (ethynilestradiol, 0.03 mg plus gestoden, 0.75 mg) (n = 38) versus dietary therapy (vitamins, minerals salts, lactic ferments, fish oil) (n = 35).

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S): Painful symptoms (visual analogue scale score) and quality-of-life endometriosis-related symptoms (SF-36 score) at 12 months' follow-up. RESULT(S): Patients treated with postoperative hormonal suppression therapy showed less visual analogue scale scores for dysmenorrhoea than patients of the other groups. Hormonal suppression therapy and dietary supplementation were equally effective in reducing nonmenstrual pelvic pain. Surgery plus placebo showed significative decrease in dyspareunia scores. Postoperative medical and dietary therapy allowed a better quality of life than placebo.

CONCLUSION(S): Postoperative hormonal suppression treatment or dietary therapy are more effective than surgery plus placebo to obtain relief of pain associated with endometriosis stage III-IV and improvement of quality of life.

PMID: 17434511 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

One woman's nutrient is another woman's antigen
Listen to your body, it's talking to you

Hormone Suppression, Dietary Therapy, Surgery 01 May 2007 03:01 #3061

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Ya, well, I took hormone replacements for a while, like 9 months and then the pains came back stronger then ever, along with migraines, numbness, etc.
Nicole

Hormone Suppression, Dietary Therapy, Surgery 01 May 2007 11:53 #3062

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Nicole,

Which proves you need to stick with the dietary recommendations :).

Since you've been gluten-free, how's your endometriosis now?

Hormone Suppression, Dietary Therapy, Surgery 01 May 2007 17:09 #3063

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Since I have been gluten free, my endometriosis seems to be at bay. I've had two surgeries for it in '95 and on  I think '98 if I remember right. I've always had terrible pains on my left side, granted some was endo and some were cysts and exploded cysts, but the pain the gyn always looked for was mysterious. They'd use an internal ultrasound and find nothing, yet, I'd about fly off the table each time

Now, since I have been g/f, this mysterious pain had completely stop hurting, unless I"ve been glutened and then it comes back. Isn't that interesting??????

Nicole

Hormone Suppression, Dietary Therapy, Surgery 01 May 2007 21:01 #3064

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Thanks Nicole,

I do know many women with endometriosis are discovering a gluten-free diet has been very helpful. I believe in many cases endometriosis is just another form of gluten intolerance.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds