Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: longer nights ahead & vitamin D

longer nights ahead & vitamin D 13 Oct 2005 13:56 #3144

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
One of the things that is happening right now- that may also be the reason for reduced energy, is the change of seasons. Your body is adjusting to the longer nights, meaning you start producing more melatonin, the sleep hormone as it starts to get dark earlier in the day.

Many women are also susceptible to increased PMS during the winter due to the lack of sun producing vitamin D, which is necessary for absorbing calcium. One of the other things to be aware of is tryptophan is also the precursor for melatonin. The mechanism is not completely clear why some people (more women than men) produce more melatonin than serotonin, but in my opinion it has everything to do with vitamin D.

Symptoms of fatigue are increased and our need to sleep actually can also increase. Humans are tied to the daylight cycle as well as the monthly cycle.

One of the things you may want to consider is an additional 400IU's of Vitamin D during this time of shorter days. If you didn't spend a lot of time during the summer creating D2 stores you may run short. If you are at all susceptible to SAD's you may also consider getting yourself a full spectrum light or lamp.

I don't like to recommend tanning booths, but the latest studies show the UV light can actually increase vitamin D2 through the skin. Once a month could be good for people living in Canada.

I know it's hard to do the exercise thing when you're fatigued, but it's so important right now to your health and well-being with increased energy being one of the benefits.

longer nights ahead & vitamin D 13 Oct 2005 17:25 #3145

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Thanks Deb. I have added an additional Vit. D into my vitamin list, but - I forgot the past 2 nights, so maybe that - and the shorter days coupled with the rain just has me a little - wiped out. Can you get too much Vitamin D with the Calcium +D AND a D only tab?

On a good note: my mom has therapy 3x/week, and I decided to join their exercise program while she is there, so...at least for the next 10-12 weeks, I'll be able to use their machines and stuff, and I'm also trying to do at least 30-45 min in the morning aside from walking the kids/dog to school and back. That should help w/the fatigue, right? I'll let you know if there is any improvement.

longer nights ahead & vitamin D 13 Oct 2005 18:53 #3146

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
[b:f9293226ca]Lynn, that's just great![/b:f9293226ca]

To answer your question, the safe upper limit for vitamin D is set at 2,000 IU's. So just add up what you are taking in the form of supplements.

I also just posted a wonderful interview with Dr. Michael F. Holick, an expert on vitamin D. You can read it in the research board.

Needless to say his research is somewhat controversial, but other prominent researchers and physicians are starting to agree with his recommendations.

You will understand when you read his interview why in the fall and winter it's especially important to find other sources.

longer nights ahead & vitamin D 14 Oct 2005 00:54 #3147

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Thanks Deb. I printed the article to keep on hand to remind me. I was also pleased to see that my taking more D may help to postpone Alzheimers - something that is ALWAYS on my mind. Thanks again for the timely info.

longer nights ahead & vitamin D 14 Oct 2005 02:29 #3148

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
HI Deb and Lynn,
I did read the Vit. D article and thought it was interesting. It's more then I knew about it before. What parts of it are controversial? Now, do you buy vit. D like you do any other vit?
Lynn, I"m right here with you on the ready to sleep when the sun goes down and wanting to sleep in as the days get shorter. I was on the couch last night at 730 and just layed there for an hour, dozing. Have you tried a full spectrum light? I find that it helps me a ton! It also relieves the heavy feeling in my head during this time of changes in seasons. I'm in Michigan, so I've got a good idea of how your seasons may be changing as well. It's so hard in the fall, especially right now when it's dark at 720 pm and the sun doesnt even peek through until about 750 am now.
zzzzz,
Nicole

longer nights ahead & vitamin D 14 Oct 2005 02:34 #3149

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
HI Lynn,
I"m frustrated about eating all together. I look in the freezer, fridge, where ever and I"m seeing all these things that I know should even touch my mouth. Lots of times at meals I try to make something I can eat with the rest of the family too.
Currently, my 18months old is just 20 lbs, so we are taking him in every few weeks to get his weight checked. We've had to increase his calories, and you know what that means, will power for me, an increase in mine too a bit. It's hard enough to find things for meals let alone snacks. Some days are tougher then others. Hubby wants the real milk, am buying vit D kind for 19 month old and Organic for me. My daughter just kind of drinks what ever, but not the soy, she doens' t like it.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Nicole

longer nights ahead & vitamin D 14 Oct 2005 10:52 #3150

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
[quote:7d3409ecab="happy4dolphins"]What parts of it are controversial? Now, do you buy vit. D like you do any other vit?[/quote:7d3409ecab]

The controversy is his recommendations to spend more time in the sun. Something as a dermatologist is unusual, since for the past several years people have had the fear of cancer instilled in their minds.

He also suggested going to a tanning salon might also be a good idea to get Vitamin D production going. He also mentions making sure if you do do this, that the right bulbs are used for the correct UV light.

As with everything too much can damage the skin.

You can purchase Vitamin D at your health food store, I found some at Target and also ordered some for myself from vitamin world. It shouldn't cost more than $4.00-8.00 a bottle. It comes in tablets or gel caps. The gel caps are very small and easier to swallow.

Another interview that I read with Dr. Holick in the Center For Science for the Public Interest newsletter actually has a very good chart of how as we age the amount of vitamin D produced in the skin goes down significantly. I'll find the link and post that interview for your reading pleasure.

I hope this answers your question. I'll also work on more snack ideas and recipes for you.

longer nights ahead & vitamin D 14 Oct 2005 12:00 #3151

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Nicole. I'm still learning, but one thing I have found is that if I buy fruits and veggies, that ALL of us in the family like, they will end up munching on the good stuff - if there is nothing else around. Instead of pringles, I now buy sun chips. Instead of fruit roll-ups, I now buy grapes and apples, instead of ribs - I now buy turkey. Also, I find that planning my meals on Sunday, and shopping for the week helps too. If I have a PLAN - then I don't stray as easily. I think I finally have most of the bad foods out of the house now, and it's a lot less stressfull. No painfull, last minute decisions to make: Meatloaf, or Turkey Cattiatore? Mashed Potatoes or Greenbeans and cucumber salad. And....if you phase out all the bad stuff slowly - your family might not even notice the transition. Your little one can get plenty of calories on the good foods too. I still struggle some days, and I crave, but I'm trying to substitue what I THINK I want for something similar, but that is better for me. ie: buttered white bread with dinner, becomes wheat bread with Olio spray....and stuff like that.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds