Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Soy Milk - too much?

Soy Milk - too much? 27 Oct 2005 13:29 #3158

• ljws
  • ljws's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Can you have too much soy milk? I just recently discovered that Silk makes a Soylatte that I just love! One cup has 170 calories, 25g carbs, and only 1g dietary fiber. I may just ditch my daily skim milk Cappuccino w/splenda for this - if it is any better for you. I use one cup of Silk Vanilla Light with Breakfast, and usually one cup at night to take my pills with. I've also been getting a lot of soy protein in the vegetarian lunches I often have. I'm just not sure if you can OD on Soy or not.

Soy Milk - too much? 27 Oct 2005 13:52 #3159

• ljws
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Lynn,

I'm not so worried about too much soy intake as long as you don't take thyroid medication (which you don't, right?).

The one thing to keep in mind is the sugar content. How much of the 25 carbs is coming from sugar? Regardless if it's raw cane juice or not. This is where you could get yourself into trouble with those sugar-insulin highs and lows, especially if you should skip a snack.

I don't know if Silk makes a sugar free latte or not, but if you can find one, that would be the way to go. Or how about cutting your Silk Latte in half with decaf coffee and a little added Splenda? :D

Thanks for the great question and let me know if this is an option for you.

Soy Milk - too much? 28 Oct 2005 01:39 #3160

• ljws
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
No, I'm not on thyroid medication, but I am curious why this would be important (my father died of thyroid cancer).

The Silklatte container shows 23g of sugars - that's a lot isnt it?

I can certaily cut it in half, unless my skim milk Cap w/splenda would be better.

(Oh, and by the way - as good as I had done for a while, I ate badly today - a friend dropped of brownies, and I couldnt keep control of my impulse to eat more than one. So sad. I need to find a way to keep that little devil off my shoulder, and only listen to the little angel.)

Soy Milk - too much? 28 Oct 2005 10:06 #3161

• ljws
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Lynn,

FYI, very high levels of soy isolates (concentrated soy proteins and isolated isoflavones) have been shown to interact with T4 conversion to T3. It's not something that you would need to worry about. You're not eating the levels needed to do this. It has nothing to do with Thyroid cancer.

Isoflavones in women with estrogen dominance or an imbalance will tend to reduce the effects of estrogen, making it more beneficial in the reduction of some cancers. Soy isoflavones have also shown to help bone health as well.

As far as the sugar content in your latte, it's the same amount you would find in a regular soda. Yes it's a lot. It's not going to help you in your efforts to maintain a level blood sugar, which is key to keeping you from the roller-coaster of high insulin and then hypoglycemia.

Your friends good intentions may also be something of a sabotage, does she know of your attempts for lifestyle changes?

Something more to think about.

Hope that answers your question.

Soy Milk - too much? 28 Oct 2005 11:20 #3162

• ljws
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Deb - Oh, and by the way - YOU are the little angel on my shoulder! The voice of reason.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.055 seconds