Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Splenda vs Raw Sugar

Splenda vs Raw Sugar 19 Oct 2005 21:41 #3176

• ljws
  • ljws's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I forced myself to use Splenda believing it was the best type of sweetner. A conditioning trainer I met up with advised me that if I HAVE to use a sweetner, that using raw sugar or organic cane sugar in moderation is better than Splenda. When I asked him why, he explained that the "processed stuff" is worse for you than the "reall stuff". Is there any truth to that? The Soy yogurts that I've been enjoying have the cane sugar, as do many of the organic things I've been buying lately. If Splenda is better, do I stop eating the soy yougurts??

Splenda vs Raw Sugar 19 Oct 2005 22:11 #3177

• ljws
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Due to the recent study released on the detrimental effects of diet soda/aspartame/nutrasweet I was also wondering about Splenda. I am also concerned as I have a son with Type 1 Diabetes.

Splenda vs Raw Sugar 19 Oct 2005 22:53 #3178

• ljws
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
These are very good questions and it's a very good idea to pay close attention to how [b:0fe946214c]your[/b:0fe946214c] body responds. Everyone is different and may metabolize substances differently.

So far the research on Splenda (Sucralose) is that it passes through the body intact without being metabolized, unlike aspartame that breaks down into phenylalanine and aspartic acid and then possibly into a non-toxic version of formaldehyde. There have been many claims that the consumption of aspartame may cause neurological problems in sensitive people. People who are unable to break down phenylalanine known as Phenylketonurics should definately stay away from it. Warnings are required on products that contain aspartame especially for those individuals.

Phenylalanine competes with tryptophan in order to make the neurotransmitter serotonin-- so may not be helpful in those women who are very short of serotonin to begin with, women with PMS/PMDD as an example have been shown to become very short of serotonin during the late luteal phase.

Splenda on the other hand doesn't breakdown or compete with anything as it moves through the digestive system. Of all artificial sweeteners Splenda is the best so far. If I am going to suggest an artificial sweetener Splenda has the very least possible negative consequence.

Now, it would be preferable not to use any artificial or natural sweeter at all if you think you can go without. But adding sugar, even raw sugar will create a quick rise in blood sugar along with an insulin spike and a quick drop causing a faster hunger response. Splenda on the other hand does not increase blood glucose.

If your diabetic son wants to have sugar and matches his insulin to the number of carbohydrate grams, he should be fine. He doesn't have to count the Splenda.

Some of the foods that I recommend have either cane sugar or Splenda, but if your going to eat a ton of candy during a craving binge, I'd rather it be sugar free with Splenda, than with raw sugar or any other type of artificial sweetener that is know to cause a neurotoxic response.

I hope that answers you question. :)

Splenda vs Raw Sugar 20 Oct 2005 22:01 #3179

• ljws
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Just confirming that the O'Soy yogurt I've been eating - with natural cane sugar - is OK to keep eating? I've been eating one cup per day w/ground flax, and sometimes I add a fresh fruit to the vanilla.

Splenda vs Raw Sugar 07 May 2006 22:12 #3180

• ljws
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Sounds just fine, keep up the good work!

Splenda vs Raw Sugar 24 Jun 2006 17:41 #3181

• ljws
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Glad to hear how Splenda works, I had wondered. I gave up Splenda though because it is a chlorine and corn molecule combined, I don't like chlorine in my body but if it passes intact perhaps I will try it again. But I'm wondering about the sweetner Xylitol. We have been using it in our house for awhile now because it is good for your teeth (and it tastes like sugar) and my understanding of it is that having only 5 molecules of glucose vs. six in table sugar your body does not absorb it, or uses it differently, I forget. Any info on the use of xylitol in this program?

Splenda vs Raw Sugar 25 Jun 2006 01:22 #3182

• ljws
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Christene,

Xylitol, a sugar alcohol has been safely used for many years as a substitute for sugar.
It still contains calories but only about 40% of that of sucrose (table sugar). People who consume large amounts may experience diarrhea or cramps, but some could be sensitive to it.

The only toxicity known is that to dogs, so if you have a 4 legged family member do not give it anything with xylitol in it.

Here's a link to more info about Xylitol

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol

Splenda vs Raw Sugar 27 Jun 2006 00:50 #3183

• ljws
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I have a whole boatload of Stevia at my house if you'd like it :wink: I have forced myself to use it for years but I can't stand the taste of the stuff. I even have it in all flavors known to man (and maybe some that are not) but nothing will help that aftertaste. Just awful. But I will tell you I think the Stevia Clear tastes the best. Don't bother with the flavored ones or the one with inulin. DON'T put it in your coffee unless you can't abide the stuff anyway--coffee that is--. Stevia will ruin it for you.

I didn't know xylitol was considered a sugar alcohol. I knew I had heard of it before it was touted to me as brand new stuff. We like it though if it is okay to use. I don't really notice if it bothers me. Since I clearly know honey, sugar, and even maple syrup do perhaps the xylitol doesn't. There are chewing gums, toothpaste, and mints made with xylitol because it is said to reduce cavities and sinus infections as it kills oral bacterias. NO other sweetener can do that.

Cheers :D

Splenda vs Raw Sugar 27 Jun 2006 01:10 #3184

• ljws
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi,

I just wanted to say Stevia is an OK sweetener occasionally-- BUT you should know it's still considered an herbal supplement and has not been proven safe for all to consume as a sweetener. Studies have shown cancer in rats and reduced sperm count so may not be a great sweetener on a daily basis.

Stevia is still waiting for approval from the FDA as a safe sweetner. For now it's available only as a food supplement.

Here's a good article from the trustworthy Center for Science in the Public Interest that may be worth a read for anyone who's interested.

www.cspinet.org/new/stevia.html
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds