Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Going to DR on Wednesday - what should I ask?

Going to DR on Wednesday - what should I ask? 31 Oct 2005 22:03 #3193

• Erinleigh
  • Erinleigh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
It seems everytime I go to the DR, they just jump in, say I'm depressed and hand me a happy pill and send me out the door.
Yes, I am depressed (and more), but only for 2 weeks out of the month.

I want blood work done. What should I be asking for? Hormone levels, Thyroid....what else?

My periods have been irregular. We moved in July, it was almost 2-3 weeks late in August and September. This month, it was on time (from last month) but then I got it again 2 weeks later. This month was HORRIBLE.

I feel like a new person either the day of or the next day after I get my period. Prior to that - life just stinks to the hundreth degree.

I have also gained weight recently. Probably in the last year I have gained almost 15lbs. I can say that I have gained almost 25 since Nov. of 2003. And I have been exercising and watching what I eat. Last Dr visit he said it was probably due to stress - it produces high cortisol levels, which make it hard to lose the weight. But he was just guessing.

Is there anything in particular I should ask about or address when going Wed? I'm not against medication - they gave me Sarafem a year and a half ago - and I took it. But w/ no testing to see if anything else was going on.

Thanks - any advice is appreciated!
~Erin

Going to DR on Wednesday - what should I ask? 01 Nov 2005 00:06 #3194

• Erinleigh
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Erin,

You ask great questions and make some good assumptions. Unfortunately many doctors are not aware of PMDD and its ties to nutrition and stress management, so in order to quickly get to the next patient, drugs are the easiest thing to band-aid the symptoms. This is what most women deal with instead of getting to the real cause, which takes much more investigation.

Yes, you need to ask for the full panel of blood tests if they will do them for you.

[b:1bfb48ffc6]Thyroid[/b:1bfb48ffc6] is a good one
Thyroid Stimulating hormone [b:1bfb48ffc6]TSH[/b:1bfb48ffc6]
[b:1bfb48ffc6]Free T4 and T3[/b:1bfb48ffc6]
[b:1bfb48ffc6]Iron [/b:1bfb48ffc6]
Cholesterol Panel would also be good to know

Tests they don't usually do for PMDD or PMS
[b:1bfb48ffc6]Parathyroid[/b:1bfb48ffc6] (a high level indicates calcium is being leached from your bones)
[b:1bfb48ffc6]25 (OH)vitamin D[/b:1bfb48ffc6], a low level indicates calcium is not being absorbed properly.
Blood calcium will always be fairly normal, not a good indicator for PMS/PMDD

They may test estrogen or progesterone, but these are very difficult to test since they are always fluctuating.

Good luck with your appointment and keep us informed how it goes.

Going to DR on Wednesday - what should I ask? 04 Nov 2005 20:52 #3195

• Erinleigh
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hey Erin,

How did your doctor's appointment go?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds