Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: vegetarian

vegetarian 03 Dec 2005 02:13 #3213

• dalgal
  • dalgal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok I am just starting this diet and have a couple of questions. I am really happy to see a lot of soy protein as I am a vegetarian :)

My main concern is with the EFA, which would you recommend for a veggie. Bear in mind that I can't take gel caps so it'd have to be liquid.

Tea? is this ok? I only have one cup of tea a day (morning) and we have decaf tea also.

Alcohol only avoid in the luteal phase? is there a reason for this?

Off to enjoy my first meal
thanks

Di

vegetarian 03 Dec 2005 02:37 #3214

• dalgal
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Welcome Di,

If you can't take a gel cap, you can use flaxseed oil in a bottle or ground flaxseed meal. Are you a vegan? Omega 3's are highly available in walnuts too.

Tea is just fine, keep it to 16 or so ounces a day. Alcohol is not recommended during the luteal phase because it takes the same vitamins and minerals needed for the natural hormone fluctuation as well as toxic to the liver. Some women who suffer from PMS and PMDD are extremely sensitive to alcohol. If you should decide to take the Prozac, you definately are advised to avoid alcohol.

Welcome and please let us know how you're doing along the way.

vegetarian 03 Dec 2005 06:25 #3215

• dalgal
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
So instead of the EFA in an oil or tablet/cap I could take 1 tbspn of walnuts? I ask bcause for breakfast I usually have muesli, with dried cranberries and I could just add some chopped walnuts?

Just tried the flaxseed oil, blergh. I'll keep trying it though.

I also just bought some calcium tablets :)

Dinner was great, felt really energised, then we went shopping (xmas lights, presents and tree) and I just flagged. Its around my ovulation time so this is my main trigger time. Today was good though cos I didn't cry, lol!

Di

vegetarian 03 Dec 2005 13:35 #3216

• dalgal
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Di,

Try grinding flaxseed in a coffee grinder and putting a tablespoon in your cereal with a couple walnuts. Milled flaxseed has a couple more benefits besides being higher in omega 3 (ALA) than walnuts, it also contains a good deal of lignans that act as weak estrogen. Milled flaxseed contains fiber too, which also helps with daily transit time. Also why not keep the cranberries. Cranberries are fabulous fruits with additional benefits that ward off urinary infections.

Also make sure your calcium tablet contains vitamin D. Di are you in the North or South US? If you're north of say LA latitude, you need to supplement with additional vitamin D through the winter.

Don't worry if you don't follow the diet plan "exactly" everyday. Just pick out some menus items you really like and stick with those you will eat. The most important thing as you enter the luteal phase is you keep up with your vitamin and minerals, water, (for bloating), exercise. As a vegetarian are you taking additional B12?

vegetarian 03 Dec 2005 18:39 #3217

• dalgal
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks so much.
We are 'just' slightly north of LA, about 30 minutes so I think we'll be ok. Plus walking the dogs twice a day gets me plenty of sunshine :) one of the reasons I love living here.
The calcium tablet I got doesn't have the vit D I don't think

I am looking for a B supplement

Di

vegetarian 03 Dec 2005 19:05 #3218

• dalgal
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Di,

Great to hear about your daily dog walks and normally I would say no problem, most women would probably be OK with that, but since you have polycystic kidneys I would highly recommend a vitamin D3 supplement that you take with your calcium. And if I were you I would also ask to have your D levels tested next time you're at the doctor as a precaution.

vegetarian 04 Dec 2005 00:31 #3219

• dalgal
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Debra I'll look out for a D3 supplement on Monday.

Di
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds