Forgot Password       
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Contains the Cycle Diet Favorite Products List. Registered members only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Energy Breakfasts

Energy Breakfasts 18 Sep 2005 23:17 #8942

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
I know you aren't hungry first thing in the morning, but if you just get a little something into your system you'll have more energy all day if you have breakfast. By eating first thing in the morning you actually kick start your metabolism. If you choose not to eat breakfast you're telling your body to store fuel and hang on to your fat. In fact the latest studies show if you eat every 3 to 4 hours you are going to burn fat first, not to mention keeping an even blood sugar all day. This helps keep hunger at bay throughout the day.

I'm talking about smaller meals and snacks every 3 to 4 hours if you want to lose weight.

Here's a couple ideas to help you get going in the morning.

[b:92c005be06]Strawberry-Banana Smoothie:[/b:92c005be06]
Blend together 1 cup of low-fat/sugar free vanilla yogurt or soy yogurt, 1/4 cup orange juice, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup frozen or fresh strawberries until smooth.

[b:92c005be06]Roasted Turkey Pita:[/b:92c005be06] (who says you can't eat lunch at breakfast)
Stuff 1 whole-wheat pita with 3 oz roasted turkey breast, 2 teaspoons spicy mustard, 1 slice of tomato and 1/4 cup chopped cucumber

[b:92c005be06]8oz Strawberry Soy Milk in a box, sliced hard boiled egg on 100% whole wheat bread toast[/b:92c005be06]. In a hurry, boil the eggs the day or evening before place wheat toast in a sandwich bag and eat on the go. Spray lightly with non-hydrogenated margarine.

Don't have time and just want to drink breakfast, try an [b:92c005be06]Ensure[/b:92c005be06]. Yes I know you're not postmenopausal. Ensure is a great meal replacer. It contains most of the nutrients you need for about 300 calories.

Eat an apple and nuts or a few raisins on the run, just eat something.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

One woman's nutrient is another woman's antigen
Listen to your body, it's talking to you

Energy Breakfasts 13 Oct 2005 01:45 #8943

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Debra,
Hey I really like the sound of the soy milk and egg on whole wheat toast on the go. I will exchange my cereal bar for that.

Thanks
triME

Energy Breakfasts 06 Feb 2006 20:16 #8944

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hey Deb,
For me, TIME is the issue w/ breakfast. Can't I just eat one of those protein bar thingies and be done with it?

Energy Breakfasts 06 Feb 2006 21:49 #8945

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Victoria,

If time is a problem you can do a protein bar thing(ie) if you want. Just eat something. It helps if it has fiber.

Hope all is well with you Victoria.

Energy Breakfasts 07 Feb 2006 00:03 #8946

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Thanks for your quick reply (as is usual for you...thanks). I am doing fine. I just started school and things are just very rushy. I did not anticipate that every single minute of my day would be filled up with something to do. I think that it will all even out. I am just not used to having so many things to do and I have to come up with an effective way to manage my time. I can see that it is getting easier all of the time though. This week seems to be starting out well and last week was a little easier than the first.

I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

1. Can I substitute almond butter for peanut butter?

2. I know that you say that (as far as the protein goes) either lunch AND supper should contain beans or one could contain a hormone free chicken and one could contain a bean. Here is the question. Is it bad to have beans for supper, and for lunch, have some kind of protein shake. What do you think about those? Do you like them? If you think it is a bad idea, I won't do it. :!:

For breakfast, I usually have some almond butter on a wheat roll, a glass of soy milk and some fruit. ( I would prefer a breakfast bar thingy). and for lunch, it is hard to pack something with a protein (no microwave) but I wonder if I couldn't bring some sort of protein powder and mix it w/ water or soy milk. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Do you believe in any substitute for a meal like a protein bar or shake or anything?

3. Does applesauce count as a fruit? :?: :?:

4. If I make a smoothie for breakfast and drink throughout the morning, do I still have to eat a fruit for lunch?

5. Can you believe that I am asking you all of these questions?!!!!!! :o :shock: :shock:

Thank you so much for your time.
Sincerely,

Victoria

Energy Breakfasts 07 Feb 2006 00:20 #8947

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Victoria,

You are making me laugh :lol: I don't hear from you in over a month and then all of a sudden questions again.

Ok. I'm going to answer your questions as you ask them.

1. Can I substitute almond butter for peanut butter? [color=blue:12128446b4]Yes, no problem[/color:12128446b4]

2. I know that you say that (as far as the protein goes) either lunch AND supper should contain beans or one could contain a hormone free chicken and one could contain a bean. Here is the question. Is it bad to have beans for supper, and for lunch[color=blue:12128446b4]...No, it's ok to do beans at lunch and dinner if you want., what you don't mean beans for lunch?[/color:12128446b4]

have some kind of protein shake[color=blue:12128446b4]--If you want to do a protein shake for lunch, I don't see a problem with that, but I doubt you'll want to do a shake all the time, food would be better. [/color:12128446b4]

What do you think about those? Do you like them? If you think it is a bad idea, I won't do it. [color=blue:12128446b4]It's not that I don't like them, but it's not the same as eating fresh vegetables or a salad with tomatoes and spinach. I understand being in school can be tough to lug around a wholesome lunch and that convenience is at utmost, but you have to make a little time to prepare what will be best for you.[/color:12128446b4]

For breakfast, I usually have some almond butter on a wheat roll, a glass of soy milk and some fruit. ( I would prefer a breakfast bar thingy). and for lunch, it is hard to pack something with a protein (no microwave) but I wonder if I couldn't bring some sort of protein powder and mix it w/ water or soy milk. Do you believe in any substitute for a meal like a protein bar or shake or anything?

3. Does applesauce count as a fruit? [color=blue:12128446b4]Yes I guess it counts, but it doesn't contain the most important part of the apple- the skin, so you're not getting all the benefits of the whole fruit. [/color:12128446b4]

4. If I make a smoothie for breakfast and drink throughout the morning, do I still have to eat a fruit for lunch? [color=blue:12128446b4]This is really up to you if you don't want to eat another fruit and you're satisfied with your smoothie throughout the morning I think that would be fine.[/color:12128446b4]

[color=blue:12128446b4]I think the most important thing besides getting as many nutritious foods into your day is what kind of results are you feeling? If you're doing really well than go ahead and experiment and see how things go.

Now if you're not doing well then stay as close to the diet plan as you can.[/color:12128446b4]

Energy Breakfasts 07 Feb 2006 01:21 #8948

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I couldn't speak for the last month...Questions have been accumulating in my head and my head has been spinning too much to stop and ask! School is really kicking my butt. I have 2 part time jobs, 2 kids and now school. Also, now that I am older, school is more of a priority than it was when I was in college the first time when the priority list was: having fun with friends, having fun with friends, having fun with friends, sleeping (staying up too late having fun with the friends) and...um...uuuhhhhh...oh yeah...class! I care a lot about my grades so that I can pick my nursing school.
Sorry I haven't written in a while. I'm glad you missed me though :D

Victoria

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds