Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Contains the Cycle Diet Favorite Products List. Registered members only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fresh Produce, What to Buy To keep spoilage down

Fresh Produce, What to Buy To keep spoilage down 15 Jul 2008 12:28 #8965

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
Being pregnant and on a stricter budget, I have been a fiend lately about produce, mostly fruit.  Here is what I have been doing:

*I check the major grocery ads online weekly, so I'm able to buy what's on sale at each given store, and limit myself to those fruits

*as I've been working less, I'm able to go to the store more than once a week, so I buy in smaller quantities.

*we do compost for our little garden (main rule: NO meats, no dairy, no prepared foods).  This helps me feel better when something does go bad.

*I know they're a splurge, but I swear by the Tupperware FridgeSmart containers.  I recently bought some lettuce that was on clearance in the store as it was already almost spoiling.  I put it in a fridgesmart container, and 1 week later lettuce was still good.  They *really* DO keep produce fresher.  They do have sales on them, too - recently 50% off!!  A worthwhile investment, as there is a lifetime replacement guarantee. 

Fresh Produce, What to Buy To keep spoilage down 15 Jul 2008 13:12 #8966

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
Hey Thanks Laura,

Those are some really good tips! I too love Tupperware!

I don't remember posting about the latest gadget my husband brought home for me but....has anyone tried the Reynolds Handi-Vac?

I can't wait to try it out, it came with 3 quart bags with little holes that you use the as a vacuum sealer.

Here's what they're saying about it on Amazon . Looks like some people really love it while others don't....not much in between :D
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds