Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
There are some great new GF and DF products and resources available to those living the GF and or dairy-free lifestyle. Registered members only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Probiotic Discussion by Celiac Expert

Probiotic Discussion by Celiac Expert 08 Jan 2016 14:17 #10381

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
The Celiac Center of the University of Chicago puts out a monthly newsletter. The January 2016 PDF contains some very helpful information regarding probiotics, prebiotics and which ones seem to work and which ones don't.

Surprisingly, the probiotics in yogurts don't seem to make it past the stomach acid alive, so if you're spending a lot of money on Activia, consider asking for a refund. I find many of my clients have difficulty with dairy proteins as well as lactose, so I suggest a non-dairy yogurt or fermented foods as a substitute for yogurts. We used to eat more fermented foods in the past, but with the invention of refrigeration, and newer ways to store foods, fermenting foods, as a way of storing food fell to the wayside. We are seeing a resurgence in the health benefits of fermented foods as of late.

There are a few different over the counter (OTC) probiotics Dr. Guandilini mentions as having positive results: Align (good for IBS), Culturelle GG (I've recommended this one for a while now), Florastor, which contains a yeast Saccharomyces boulardii instead of bacteria, is also effective in treating antibiotic associated diarrhea.

"Finally there is a preparation called VSL #3, www.vsl3.com/ which is a highly concentrated preparation of 8 different strains of probiotics. This has received a great deal of attention by the scientific world to treat a number of conditions. It seems to be effective for ulcerative colitis, in both children and adults, and for treating IBS."

You can read the entire newsletter here: www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp-content/upl...r_Jan16_v4-FINAL.pdf
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds