Forgot Password       
Ă—

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
There are some great new GF and DF products and resources available to those living the GF and or dairy-free lifestyle. Registered members only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Turtle Mountain Coconut Milk Bev.

Turtle Mountain Coconut Milk Bev. 11 Mar 2009 16:30 #1063

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
It's another non-dairy, non-allergen choice  :D,

Don't give up your calcium/vit D tablet!...  According to nutrition label it has 10% 100mg calcium and a small amount of vitamin D, but reading the ingredient list it does say it contains calcium phosphate. What it does have is 50% B12 and medium chain fatty acids which are a little more digestible (used faster) than the fatty acids from animal sources. Regardless, try it you might find it more palatable than soy or rice milk.

New the world's first (that we know of) coconut milk beverage is now So Delicious!
Slide over soymilk and move over dairy milk, something new and exciting is coming to the milk isle, So Delicious® Coconut Milk Beverage! Enjoy it on cereal, in coffee, in recipes or just in a tall glass. One sip and you will say, "Wow, that is So Delicious!"
Turtle Mountain introduces Coconut Milk beverage

[*]Dairy Free / Lactose Free [/*]
[*]Soy Free [/*]
[*]Gluten Free [/*]
[*]Rich in Medium Chain Fatty Acids [/*]
[*]Excellent Source of Vitamin B12 (vegetarian friendly) [/*]
[*]Formulated for Maximum Calcium Absorption ??? [/*]
[*]Cholesterol Free [/*]
[*]No Trans Fats [/*]
[*]Certified Vegan

I'm placing this in two places just in case...sorry about the repetative placement Revised...this product contains 10% calcium RDA or 100mgs
[/*]

Turtle Mountain Coconut Milk Bev. 02 Nov 2010 17:44 #1064

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hmmm, going back and revisiting the nutrition label on this product it now says it contains 10% of calcium or 100mg per 1 8oz serving. I wonder if there must have been a typo on the website that someone just caught.

Good to know..I'll need to update the orginal post.:)

Turtle Mountain Coconut Milk Bev. 03 Jan 2012 00:39 #1065

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I was just coming on here to look for your info. on this product.  I *hate* coconut in all it's forms - flakes, cream, flour, just the general flavor.  Blech.  so I put off coconut milk for-ever.  But now that I"m trying to switch my hubby (and possibly daughter) off of dairy milk, we're doing a milk taste test this week at my house.  We tried the coconut first - I love it!!!  It tastes very similar to skim milk, whereas the almond milk did not.  I was SO surprised that it does not taste like coconut!!  I even drank it plain! 

But I noticed there's 5g of saturated fat per serving, and wondered if that was OK.  I guess it is, since you told us about it :P

Just for kicks, I even put half coconut milk and half skim milk in Sarah's sippy cup this morning - she didn't even notice!!

Turtle Mountain Coconut Milk Bev. 03 Jan 2012 12:36 #1066

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Laura,

As long as you're not suffering from cramps or other pain related issues the saturated fats are not a problem. I only worry about those who consume a lot of animal saturated fats along with plant saturated fats with continued inflammation. It all adds up. However saying that, the medium chain sat fats in coconut are digested faster in those who have good pancreatic function.

You should be just fine with this product. Coconut milk is especially a good milk replacement in cooking. We need a new name for coconut milk in a can vs. coconut milk beverage in a carton. ;)

Turtle Mountain Coconut Milk Bev. 03 Jan 2012 12:59 #1067

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
yay!  No, we don't consume a lot of animal fat, I don't think.  I'm also trying to switch hubby over, and probably the 3 1/2 year old as well.  The little one still gets cheese, yogurt, and other additional sources of calcium, so that should be fine, right? 

I agree, they need to amend their packaging name for this stuff!  I would have tried it long ago!

by the way, we tried Hemp milk last night....blech!!!  Oh man, it was foul!! 

Turtle Mountain Coconut Milk Bev. 03 Jan 2012 21:00 #1068

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hah, yes you have to try other brands of Hemp milk. I found one that I liked...Living Harvest in vanilla, but the hemp protein is good. livingharvest.com/

As far as dairy being okay in small amounts, please consider having your little one tested for casein antibodies to be certain. Enterolab tests for casein, and they are the least expensive I've found.

Turtle Mountain Coconut Milk Bev. 09 Jan 2012 12:27 #1069

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Love so delicious coconut milk, they also make a tasty yogurt too.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds