Forgot Password       
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
There are some great new GF and DF products and resources available to those living the GF and or dairy-free lifestyle. Registered members only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: New GF Pastas

New GF Pastas 02 Jul 2012 19:39 #1103

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129

Got some great ideas from the RDs in Gluten-free diet list serve I'm on for new product ideas for gluten-free pasta made from tofu. Okay, not for everyone, but if you can't tolerate gluten, corn, rice, or quinoa you might give it a try.

The following are made in various shapes, packaged in water, and are found in refrigerated cases at groceries:

-House Foods' Shirataki is a soybean and yam product, http://house-foods.com/Tofu/tofu_shirataki.aspx. I have seen this located near the eggs at Whole Foods and in the 'Health Market' section of Hy-Vee.

-Nasoya's Shirataki is a chickpea, potato and konjac product, http://www.nasoya.com/products/shirataki/shirataki_spaghetti.html. I have seen this near the eggs at Whole Foods.

-Wildwood Foods' Pasta Slim is a soybean and konjac product, http://www.wildwoodfoods.com/products/pasta-alternatives/listings/long-noodles. I have seen this located near salad dressings and salsa in the 'Produce' section at Hy-Vee.

The websites may provide you with more information and may also lead you to nearby retailers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

One woman's nutrient is another woman's antigen
Listen to your body, it's talking to you

New GF Pastas 02 Jul 2012 19:47 #1104

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
So what the heck is Konjac?

From Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konjac :

"Konjac is grown in India , China, Japan and Korea for its large starchy corms, used to create a flour and jelly of the same name. It is also used as a vegan substitute for gelatin .
In Japanese cuisine , konjac (konnyaku) appears in dishes such as oden . It is typically mottled grey and firmer in consistency than most gelatins. It has very little taste; the common variety tastes vaguely like salt . It is valued more for its texture than flavor.
Ito konnyaku (糸蒟蒻 ? ) is a type of Japanese food consisting of konjac cut into noodle-like strips. It is usually sold in plastic bags with accompanying water. It is often used in sukiyaki and oden. The name literally means "thread-konjac".
Japanese konnyaku is made by mixing konjac flour with water and limewater . [2] [/sup] Hijiki is often added for the characteristic dark color and flavor. Without additives for color, konnyaku is pale white. It is then boiled and cooled to solidify. Konnyaku made in noodle form is called shirataki and used in foods such as sukiyaki and gyudon ."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

One woman's nutrient is another woman's antigen
Listen to your body, it's talking to you
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds