Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Fresh new ideas while on the Cycle Diet. Gluten Free recipes and substitution suggestions are indicated. Open to the public.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rice pudding with pears and apples (GF)

Rice pudding with pears and apples (GF) 09 Nov 2005 19:37 #4290

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
I've revised this wonderful recipe from The New American Plate using seasonal fall fruit available right now.

Granny Smith Apple/Pear rice pudding, pop or frozen dessert.

"For centuries people have turned to rice pudding form sweetness and solace. This updated version offers comfort and a few health benefits as well. The recipes behind this makeover should be familiar by now: decrease the level of fat, salt, and sugar where taste allows, increase the presence of plant foods, in this case, fruits. and always choose whole grains, in this case, brown rice, for fiber and weight management. This pudding's creaminess comes from being cooked slowly for 1 hour. the resulting texture and taste justify the wait. You can reduce the sugar to taste and serve this for a slow-burning, energizing breakfast. Makes 8 servings, 192 calories per serving."

3 cups low-fat organic milk or organic almond, cashew, coconut or hemp milk
1 cup water
1 cup brown rice
1 cup raw almonds
2 cinnamon sticks
Pinch of salt
3 tbs organic sugar or 3 packets of stevia if sugar-free
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of ground nutmeg
2 tart apples, such as granny smith, peeled, cored and diced (eat the skin though)
2 firm pear such as Bosc, I like Bartlett's myself
Ground cinnamon, for garnish

-In a heavy, medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the milk, water, rice, cinnamon sticks, and salt just to a boil, being careful not to scald the milk. Immediately reduce the heat to low, cover, and gently simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the milk almost completely absorbed. Stir in the sugar, vanilla extract, and nutmeg, apples and pears, continue cooking uncovered, stirring often, over low heat until the mixture is very thick about 15 minutes. remove the saucepan from the heat and remove the cinnamon sticks. In a food processor or power blender, process the raw almonds into a paste. Stir almond paste. Transfer to a large serving bowl and top with remaining fruit. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and serve hot.

For uppity Granny Pop and frozen dessert: In a high powered blender, blend cooked warm pudding. Add about 1/4 cup dairy-free milk of choice for more pour-ability. Blend on high until smooth or until you have the consistency you want. Pour into pop molds or into an ice cube tray. Freeze.

For creamy frozen dessert transfer hard frozen pudding from ice cube tray and blend again. serve in chilled dessert bowls. 

You can also separate into individual serving containers to eat at a later time when carb cravings hit.

Rice pudding with pears and apples (GF) 26 Jul 2006 13:14 #4291

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I just finished making this rice pudding - De-lic-ious!!! I'm excited to have a new, easy, nutritious, yummy recipe!

Rice pudding with pears and apples (GF) 27 Jul 2006 02:18 #4292

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Exellent, so glad you made it and commented.

P.S. to all of you out there, [b:5038cf4a59]this is another Gluten Free recipe[/b:5038cf4a59].

Rice pudding with pears and apples (GF) 12 Aug 2012 13:29 #4293

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
bump
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds