Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Fresh new ideas while on the Cycle Diet. Gluten Free recipes and substitution suggestions are indicated. Open to the public.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Herb Cubes

Herb Cubes 15 Jan 2007 21:55 #4407

• lzalvis
  • lzalvis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
After a few years, I have really become a fan of homegrown herbs to spice up my GF food.  They're SO much more economical (and yummy) than what you would buy in the store, and can be grown in pots or the ground.  So I've adopted a way to use your herbs all year long (my husband affectionately calls these 'herb bombs').  And since growing season is just around the corner, I wanted to share this.

I've had good luck with the following herbs, being very hardy and a good combination:  chives, parsley, rosemary, thyme (used lemon thyme last year), and oregano.  You need more chives and parsley than the others, since they're milder. 

Anyway, I make them periodically when all the herbs have grown enough.  This is really all to taste, there's no exact recipe.  Get a bowl and dump in the following:

all your finely chopped herbs of choice, olive oil (enough to make it sort of pasty), a few splashes of lemon juice (makes the herbs 'pop'), salt, pepper, and minced garlic (I just use the refrigerated kind).  Then pack your paste into ice cube trays.  Pour a little more olive oil into each cube so the herbs are covered.  Then freeze. When done, keep in freezer bags (I also use the FoodSaver bags so they last longer). 

I use them all year long in soups, stews, sauces, anything!  What would you use them in? 

Enjoy!

Herb Cubes 15 Jan 2007 22:11 #4408

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
[user=128]lzalvis[/user] wrote:

After a few years, I have really become a fan of homegrown herbs to spice up my GF food.  They're SO much more economical (and yummy) than what you would buy in the store, and can be grown in pots or the ground.  So I've adopted a way to use your herbs all year long (my husband affectionately calls these 'herb bombs').  And since growing season is just around the corner, I wanted to share this.

Laura,

What are you are some kind of genius, I absolutely love this idea and I have a garden that's been taken over by chives, so now I know exactly what to do. I also love to grow fresh sweet basil.

FYI-Fresh herbs are awesome little antioxidant containing edible delights, and in small quantities pack a huge punch as antivirals too.

Thanks for sharing. Have you considered a copyright patent or something?:D

Herb Cubes 15 Jan 2007 22:22 #4409

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Genius?  No, just an anal perfectionist :D 

Herb Cubes 16 Jan 2007 00:23 #4410

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I love this idea too. I've just planted sage, lavender and wild arugula. Though I'm afraid I might have lost the arugula to frost. I'm going to get thyme (which is great in the garden paths to tread on sweetly) and oregano as you suggested. I've always frozen the herbs in little packets but I love the idea of herb bombs.

Thanks.

Herb Cubes 04 Sep 2008 12:20 #4411

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Laura,

I'm bumping this up for others and because it's time to harvest my sweet basil, chives and mint for the winter months. :D I was thinking about this recipe a few days ago.

Herb Cubes 11 Sep 2008 00:45 #4412

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
My garden got poor attention this summer, with the baby and all :P  How do you get overgrown chives?!  I wish!!  My chives are so pitiful, I will need to plant new ones next year....
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds