Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Fresh new ideas while on the Cycle Diet. Gluten Free recipes and substitution suggestions are indicated. Open to the public.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Apples!!

Apples!! 25 Sep 2007 16:49 #4486

• lzalvis
  • lzalvis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I wasn't sure where to post this, so maybe it needs to be moved. 

My favorite time of year is upon us - apple season!!!  Golden Delicious, Mutsu, Fuji, PInk Lady.....aaah, I could go on and on.  A few years ago, my friend gave me this tip about apples and I have been doing it ever since. 

IF you are lucky enough to live relatively near an apple orchard/farm (we drive an hour to one in North Georgia), this is for you.  Ask the people there if you can get 'seconds'.  They should direct you to 'the back', where they've sorted the apples.  'Seconds' are apples that are just not so pretty - bruise, dent, misshapen, etc.  But they taste absolutely fine.  You generally have to pick through a big crate of them. 

Here's the thing - 'Seconds' are 15 cents per pound (at least near us)!!  We go about once a month and stock up, they'll keep in the fridge for weeks if you cover them with a wet paper towel and saran wrap.  And these apples taste *nothing* like the ones from teh store - they are always so fresh, crunchy, yummy.

It's SO great to get lots of quality fresh fruit at a great price.  I just can't pay $2/lb in the store anymore, it kills me.  Anyway, I hope some of you can take advantage of this apple tip!!

Apples!! 25 Sep 2007 18:02 #4487

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Laura, Thanks for the great TIP :D

Apples!! 11 Sep 2008 16:50 #4488

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder