Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Fresh new ideas while on the Cycle Diet. Gluten Free recipes and substitution suggestions are indicated. Open to the public.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Orange Chicken Stir Fry Recipe in the Cycle Diet Workbook

Orange Chicken Stir Fry Recipe in the Cycle Diet Workbook 08 Dec 2007 19:57 #4512

• Crystal1972
  • Crystal1972's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I made the Orange Chicken Stir Fry recipe for dinner last evening, and my husband and kids loved it. It was not difficult to make...I was hesitant to try it because I seem to screw up stir fries every time. I think the directions were excellent, and it really helped that I had all the ingredients cut up and ready to go when I started the recipe. (I believe the French term is mis en place, no?)

The modifications that I made for my family were to omit the optional water chestnuts, mushrooms, and bean sprouts. Since I left those things out, I doubled the amount of broccoli that the recipe calls for. When I added the broccoli, I also added most of a bag of cabbage and carrot coleslaw mix as suggested in the Cycle Diet for Weight Loss food plan. I loved this addition.

This made a huge amount of food! The servings were enormous, and absolutely delicious. Along with that half cup of brown rice, I had a really nice meal. My kids ate the brown rice without comment, too. I thought for sure they'd turn their noses up at it. I don't think they really noticed a difference.

This recipe is definitely going to be in heavy rotation at my house.

Orange Chicken Stir Fry Recipe in the Cycle Diet Workbook 08 Dec 2007 20:41 #4513

• Crystal1972
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Cyrstal, I'm so glad you and your famliy liked this recipe, I haven't made it for a while myself...so thanks for the reminder, it's always well accepted with great reviews at my house too.

I thought I had that recipe listed on the Support Board but it's only on the web and inside the workbook so here it is for those who are wondering:

Orange Chicken Stir Fry

1 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1/4 cup soy sauce (contains gluten)or GF soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp ginger
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tbs canola oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tablespoons all-purpose flour or GF flour (rice or other) 
1 cup bean sprouts (optional)
1 cup fresh broccoli
1 small can water chestnuts
1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
Serve with 1/2 cup of steamed white or brown rice per serving
Makes 4-6 servings depending on the size of the chicken breasts

[align=justify]In a small bowl combine the orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, salt, garlic, ginger and brown sugar. Mix well.
Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. When oil begins to bubble, add chicken. Saute until cooked through (no longer pink inside), about 7 to 10 minutes.
Add orange sauce mixture to chicken and cook until sauce begins to bubble. Add flour, a little bit at a time, until sauce has thickened to your liking. Add bean sprouts, broccoli, water chestnuts and mushrooms and cook for 1 minute; serve with steamed rice.
[/align]

Orange Chicken Stir Fry Recipe in the Cycle Diet Workbook 08 Dec 2007 21:53 #4514

• Crystal1972
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Yes, I think I'm going to make this tomorrow for Sunday Dinner. I might even double the recipe for single meals that I can freeze. I have everything except for the ginger. Have you tried to grate your own fresh ginger? I just looked I have some dried powder ginger.

Orange juice and peel. check

Garlic, check,

chicken check,

broccoli, check

brown sugar check....I even have the water chestnuts.:D

Thanks for the great review Crystal! And Kid approved.

Orange Chicken Stir Fry Recipe in the Cycle Diet Workbook 10 Dec 2007 02:14 #4515

• Crystal1972
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Okay, I made this recipe tonight, but I couldn't get my girls to eat much of it so I have a ton left over that I divided up into single servings.

Confession time:

I changed the recipe a little because I didn't check to make sure I had enough soy sauce, I could have sworn I had a bottle of soy sauce in the fridge. So I decided to cut the sauce in half,  so I didn't get enough of the zingy flavor and it turned out more bland- not enough brown sugar/orange taste to make it more appealing, actually I halved the brown sugar and soy sauce because all I had was two Kikkoman packets. :( Then I discovered my stir-fry vegetables were a bit freezer burnt.:(  My brown rice seemed too chewy, I suppose I should have cooked it a bit longer or just stayed with the jasmine rice I had on hand. Oh well, I may give it another try. Well, I have 3 pre prepared dinners or lunch for next week. Maybe they'll taste better after reheating. :)

Orange Chicken Stir Fry Recipe in the Cycle Diet Workbook 10 Dec 2007 14:16 #4516

• Crystal1972
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
lol Traci,

I see you didn't check for the soy sauce in your message above :D

Oh well, hopefully the left-overs will increase in flavor, I wonder if a dab of marmalade might help. Be careful not to over do the sugar though. Just a thought.

Orange Chicken Stir Fry Recipe in the Cycle Diet Workbook 10 Dec 2007 15:03 #4517

• Crystal1972
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Debra...any hints for us on getting brown rice to come out well? Mine usually gets way too chewy as well. I've never used a rice cooker. Maybe that would be a good investment, since I'll probably be doing quite a bit more rice these days. In fact, I just bought this enormous bag of organic brown basmati rice from Costco.

When I made the stir fry on Friday night, I used the Uncle Ben's Brown Rice - I forget exactly what it's called - that's not instant, but quick. The texture of it was really great. It took 13 minutes in the microwave.

Traci, what a bummer that the kids didn't like the stir fry. My kids aren't that picky, but they don't like a lot of vegetables. I think the stir fry worked for them because mine basically just had broccoli and the coleslaw mix.

Happy Monday to all!

Crystal

Orange Chicken Stir Fry Recipe in the Cycle Diet Workbook 10 Dec 2007 15:59 #4518

• Crystal1972
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Yes,

Cooking or steaming the brown rice a tad longer than the directions call will help. You might also try soaking the brown rice to begin with for an hour prior to the start of cooking. This is my favorite way to prepare brown rice-- For added flavor, I semi-fry my brown rice first in a tsp of oil (olive oil or canolia oil) You have to mix it up good while it cooks in a skillet, then add your water or a low sodium MSG free chicken or vegetable broth. It's much tastier and adds only a few extra calories. This retains the fiber and opens the bran, just like popping corn on the stove.

You might also see this thread on brown rice , it's a popular topic.

Orange Chicken Stir Fry Recipe in the Cycle Diet Workbook 17 Apr 2009 13:31 #4519

• Crystal1972
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
bump
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds