Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Fresh new ideas while on the Cycle Diet. Gluten Free recipes and substitution suggestions are indicated. Open to the public.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Old Fashion Vanilla Pudding

Old Fashion Vanilla Pudding 21 Jan 2008 18:18 #4536

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
It's really very simple to make your own pudding without artificial anything: OK unless you're avoiding sugar.

Here's a very easy Old Fashion Vanilla Pudding

[*]2 tablespoons sugar [/*]
[*]1 tablespoon cornstarch [/*]
[*]1/8 teaspoon salt [/*]
[*]1 cup 2% milk [/*]
[*]1 egg yolk, lightly beaten [/*]
[*]1 1/2 teaspoons butter [/*]
[*]1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract[/*]
  1. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
  2. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla.
  3. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
As is this recipe would not be the best for someone on a weight loss plan...see the next recipe for how to make a sugar free, fat free pudding.

Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup equals 181 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 241 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.

Old Fashion Vanilla Pudding 21 Jan 2008 18:26 #4537

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Sugar-Free-Low Fat

Vanilla pudding

[*]1/3 cup Splenda (you can also try Stevia) but add after cooking so you don't lose flavor. [/*]
[*]3 tablespoons cornstarch [/*]
[*]1/4 teaspoon salt [/*]
[*]2 1/2 cups milk 1 or 2% or Soy milk. [/*]
[*]1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (use the real extract, not artificial flavoring)[/*]
  1. In a saucepan, combine the Splenda, corn starch and salt. Add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Add vanilla and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
  2. Pour into individual molds rinsed with cold water; chill until firm and unmold.

Old Fashion Vanilla Pudding 22 Jan 2008 16:16 #4538

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Ooh, I'm going to try this one today, I'll let you know how it turns out. I may even try this warm with a little cereal.

Old Fashion Vanilla Pudding 23 Jan 2008 14:39 #4539

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
[user=99]traci[/user] wrote:

Ooh, I'm going to try this one today, I'll you know how it turns out. I may even try this warm with a little cereal.

Traci,

Did you make the soy milk pudding? Just hoping to compare notes on that recipe. Mine didn't turn out that great, it really needs something.

Old Fashion Vanilla Pudding 23 Jan 2008 19:39 #4540

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Mine turned out okay, but nothing to sing high praise about..:?, it definitely could use something else. It was kind of runny this morning.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds