Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Fresh new ideas while on the Cycle Diet. Gluten Free recipes and substitution suggestions are indicated. Open to the public.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pecan Pancakes (GF)

Pecan Pancakes (GF) 30 Aug 2008 16:21 #4573

• solstice
  • solstice's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I made these with soaked, then oven-dried pecans, not sure how they would turn out if you didnt soak them??
Soak desired amount of pecans in a bowl of water with 2 teaspoons sea salt overnight or up to 12 hours. Drain, then dry on a cookie sheet in a low heat oven (less than 150 degrees) for 12 hours, stirring occasionally. They should end up crispy again!
Pecan Pancakes [Serves 1-2 people]
1/2 c crispy pecans
1 egg
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 Tblsp. Honey
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. vanilla (opt)--I didnt use the vanilla and they were still great
pinch salt
Grind pecans in a food processor (I use a mini processor for this small amount, if you double or triple this recipe then use a big food processor!) Pecans should turn into a paste! Add remaining ingredients and process until combined. Pour into a well-oiled griddle/frying pan and cook like you would any other pancakes! These really fluff up nicely and are more filling than reg. old pancakes anyway. Enjoy!
:)

Pecan Pancakes (GF) 31 Aug 2008 12:11 #4574

• solstice
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
What a great recipe Sol, Thank you for posting it! :)

Pecan Pancakes (GF) 02 Sep 2008 18:32 #4575

• solstice
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm just curious why you would soak them, then dry them?  Do they come out differently then just toasting them slowly in the oven for a few hours?

Pecan Pancakes (GF) 02 Sep 2008 21:37 #4576

• solstice
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
There are different thoughts behind this process! :) First off, dark-skinned nuts---almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc contain a small amount of tannin in them...which gives a bitter taste. Most of our nuts are bred to not have much tannin in them, but I believe they still have some. Soaking helps get rid of this. I've also read that nuts have enzyme inhibitors in them and soaking helps to deactivate these---then the nut thinks it's going to grow into a plant. A lot of people in the raw food movement say soaking increases the nutrients, whereas roasting would destroy some of them. When you dry the soaked nuts, you are supposed to do it at a very low temperature---where it would still be considered a raw food---around 115 degrees or something like that!

I definitely think the pecans take on a totally different flavor. Not better or worse, just really different! It also makes them super crunchy (if dried out correctly!)

You can google "soaking nuts" to find out more...here's one quick site
www.avenaoriginals.com/library/recipe_di...aking_Nuts_and_Seeds
:)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds