Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Fresh new ideas while on the Cycle Diet. Gluten Free recipes and substitution suggestions are indicated. Open to the public.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Homeade Granola Recipe

Homeade Granola Recipe 21 Nov 2008 18:08 #4585

• michpen3
  • michpen3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Debra - Hopefully this recipe is okay on the diet?  If not, we can delete it.  My husband and I ate this a lot when we were on the Daniel fast. 

Homemade Granola Recipe:

4 cups old fashioned rolled oats.
4 pitted medjool dates
½ cup organic raisins
½ cup roasted almonds
½ cup raw walnuts
½ cup dry, unsweetened coconut
¼ cup virgin coconut oil
½ cup raw honey
Dash of sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Place oats in a large mixing bowl.

Place dates, raisins, almonds and walnuts in your food processor with the S blade in place. Chop the dried fruit and nuts until they have reached your desired consistency.

Pour the dried fruit and nut mixture into the bowl with the oats. Mix together thoroughly. Next add the coconut oil and honey and stir into the oats, nuts and dried fruit mixture.

Add a dash of sea salt, the cinnamon and the dried coconut. Stir and incorporate all ingredients thoroughly. Taste your homemade granola recipe and adjust seasonings.

This is a really good fix for your sweet tooth!  A friend gave me this recipe and she uses apricots instead of raisins but I used raisins. .  She bakes it at 275 for 20 minutes.  Just spread it out on a cookie sheet to bake.  We did that too and it was so good!  We could only find the solid coconut oil.  I scooped it out and melted it in the microwave.  Jon and I doubled the recipe and it made a ton!  When I doubled it I had to use more than double of the nut/fruit mixture because there were so many oats.  [/b]

[/b]

[/b]

http://www.ezhealthydiet.com/homemade-granola-recipe.html

Homeade Granola Recipe 21 Nov 2008 19:48 #4586

• michpen3
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Michelle,

This recipe looks very good :) and would be appropriate for the Cycle Diet with only one itty bitty exception.....the coconut oil is high in saturated fats which influences the inflammation response in the body....BUT there isn't that much of it per serving. I know many people think coconut oil is very healthy but it's not as healthy as it's promoted to be. It may contain medium chain fatty acids that are used with more efficiency but again it doesn't contain any essential fatty acids which the Cycle Diet stresses in the form of omega 3's, which reduces the inflammatory response in the body and feeds the brain for better mood.

What I like about this recipe....it would be gluten-free with verified gf oats and it's dairy free too :cool:.

Homeade Granola Recipe 21 Nov 2008 21:52 #4587

• michpen3
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you for that information on the coconut oil Debra.  I thought it was really healthy because of what I had heard from others.  Now I know better! 

I bought some canola oil w/omega 3 DHA at the grocery store when I did my cycle diet shopping.  I wonder if I could use that in the granola?

Homeade Granola Recipe 22 Nov 2008 00:28 #4588

• michpen3
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Yes, I think that would be a great substitution as long as it doesn't change the taste too much.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds