Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Fresh new ideas while on the Cycle Diet. Gluten Free recipes and substitution suggestions are indicated. Open to the public.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mango-Peach-Applesauce

Mango-Peach-Applesauce 06 Jan 2009 19:34 #4603

• lzalvis
  • lzalvis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
So, every fall, we get about 80 lbs. of apples (literally) from the mountains and I go applesauce-making crazy.  But this year, I was also making baby food for the freezer, and I pureed frozen mangos and frozen peaches.  While licking the spoon from these 2 fruit purees, I had a thought - why not add them to MY applesauce? 

So I DID!  I then got lots more frozen mango and peaches, steamed them, pureed them in teh blender, froze them in ice cube trays and then stuck them in a ziploc bags.  It's actually really easy. 

And now, when I want a little changeup to my applesauce, I stick in some mango or peach cubes.  YUM-my!  I"m eating some right now to try and keep the sweet cravings at bay.....

Mango-Peach-Applesauce 06 Jan 2009 21:31 #4604

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
What a wonderful idea :D....you are always full of great ideas Laura. How's it going with the new baby??

Mango-Peach-Applesauce 07 Jan 2009 14:38 #4605

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Wow that does sound really good, so good I went on-line to look for an actual recipe. I found this one on Group Recipes.com and thought I'd share here. Find the link in the title, the recipe looks a little extensive but yummy, the recipe website looks very interesting too, check it out.

Mango Peach Applesauce
  • 1 lemon, juice of or lime, juice of .
  • 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg .
  • 1 (16 oz) package frozen mango chunks (or equivalent amount of fresh mango, sliced, peeled & pitted) .
  • 1 orange, zest of .
  • 1 lb apples, peeled, seeds removed & cut into chunks .
  • 1 (16 oz) package unsweetened frozen peach slices (or equivalent amount of fresh peaches, peeleds, pitted & cut up into chunks) .
  • 1/3 tsp ground cinnamon or 1/2 piece of whole cinnamon sticks .
  • 1 pinch salt .
  • 2 tbsps honey (or 1/4 c unbleached white sugar) .
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract .
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
Directions:
[/*]
  • Step #1 Combine all ingredients except for almond extract, in crock pot or heavy pan.
  • Step #2 If using crock pot, set control to LOW & let simmer 4-6 hrs or until fruit is very soft.
  • Step #3 Remove crockpot cover, & if necessary, discard whole cinnamon stick if using, *mash any chunks of fruit with potato masher.
  • Step #4 Stir in almond extract.
  • Step #5 Adjust seasoning.
  • Step #6 For stovetop, bring fruit mixture to boil, cover & let simmer on low 1 hr or until fruit is very soft.
  • Step #7 If any fruit chunks remain, *mash with potato masher.
  • Step #8 (Be sure to remove whole cinnamon stick first.
  • Step #9 ) Stir in almond extract.
  • Step #10 Adjust seasoning.
  • Step #11 Serve applesauce warm or cold.
  • Step #12 Freezes well.
  • Step #13 *At this point, you could opt to use a hand held immersion mixer to puree the fruit.
  • Step #14 Yield: estimated.
  • Enjoy the Mango Peach Applesauce recipe

Mango-Peach-Applesauce 07 Jan 2009 18:30 #4606

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Traci - Wow, thanks for going the extra mile!!  And in a crockpot?  MMm....I'll be trying this soon!!

Debra - Baby is 5 1/2 months, and as you read above, I'm making her baby food for when she's 6 months.  We'll definitely make 6 months of 100% breastfeeding!  Yay us!!  After that, despite all my efforts, she may need a little formula supplementation every week. 
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds