Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Fresh new ideas while on the Cycle Diet. Gluten Free recipes and substitution suggestions are indicated. Open to the public.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Jamaican Festival Bread (GF/DF)

Jamaican Festival Bread (GF/DF) 10 May 2010 16:19 #4622

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
I was lucky enough to take a private Jerk cooking class while in Jamaica last week. One of the breads I learned to make, especially loved by my husband, was Jamaican Festival bread.  The base of the recipe is corn meal, which I am now able to mill myself to ensure it's GF, however they fry it in Jamaica. Fry it or bake it, it's wonderful.

Adjusted for GF/DF 

Jamaican Festival Bread

Jamaican Festival is a golden brown and slightly sweet cornmeal fried dumpling traditionally they are the perfect accompaniment for spicy meat dishes, such as Jamaica's infamous jerk.
  • 1/2 cup of flour (used 50% tapioca 50% potato flour)
  • 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 Tsp DF marg (Spectrum), or canola oil
  • 1 cup corn meal
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp lime juice
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup cooking oil (for frying) otherwise just grease muffin pan or place thick batter in cup cake tin with baking cups
1) In one large bowl, sift flour and baking powder. Add cornmeal, sugar, nutmeg, salt, margarine, lime juice and enough water to bind mixture to manageable dough.

2)leave to stand for two minutes

3) Heat frying oil in pan, shape festival into fingers and fry. Or if baking, add about 1/4 cup more water to dough and spoon into cup cake liners or greased muffin pan.

4) Be sure and place fried festival bread on absorbent paper towels to drain.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds