Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Fresh new ideas while on the Cycle Diet. Gluten Free recipes and substitution suggestions are indicated. Open to the public.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Old Fashion Coleslaw Dairy-Free (GF)

Old Fashion Coleslaw Dairy-Free (GF) 16 Jul 2013 21:06 #9398

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129

I love summer, with such fresh local cabbage and carrots available in the stores, farmer's markets or out of your own gardens . You'll love this version of coleslaw if you're dairy-free and/or gluten-free. I made this easy recipe for my family who couldn't tell it was missing the milk or buttermilk. Give it a try and let me know how much you love it too. There's also substitute suggestions for sugar-free, for those of you who need to cut back due to Candida or SIBO. Oh, and by the way, it's adapted from a faux KFC copy-cat recipe.

Easy Old Fashion Dairy-Free Coleslaw (GF)
-1 med head of cabbage, shredded or 1 bag of ready-to-eat shredded cabbage with carrots
-10-12 baby carrots sliced thin or shredded
-2 Tbs minced sweet onion
-1/3 cup organic real mayonnaise
-1/4 cup white rice vinegar
-2 Tbs unsweetened almond milk
-1 Tbs. sugar (for sugar-free use stevia equivalent to 1 Tbs)
-1 Tbs lemon juice
-1 tsp dry mustard
-salt and fresh pepper to taste

Instructions:
From fresh cabbage, shred cabbage and baby carrots using a food processor, a hand shredder, mandolin or by hand. Don't feel guilty if you want to purchase already shredded in a bag, but be sure and rinse it really well. I don't have to tell you how much better fresh cabbage will taste, once you make your own from fresh you may change your mind about buying the bag. Place shredded cabbage, carrots and minced sweet onion in a large serving bowl.

In a small bowl or large 2 or 4-cup measure, combine mayo, vinegar, almond milk, lemon juice, sugar and mustard. Whisk until smooth. Taste and add salt and fresh ground pepper if desired. Pour mayo mixture over cabbage and mix together. Let sit in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Serves 6-8

Attachments:

Old Fashion Coleslaw Dairy-Free (GF) 13 Jun 2016 17:40 #10635

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
Time to make coleslaw again, but this time with Napa Cabbage.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds