Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Fresh new ideas while on the Cycle Diet. Gluten Free recipes and substitution suggestions are indicated. Open to the public.
  • Page:

TOPIC: DF GF Cream of Mushroom Soup

DF GF Cream of Mushroom Soup 14 Jan 2015 15:52 #10116

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129

Whenever my husband and I dine out at one of our favorite restaurants, there always seems to be a wonderful cream-of- (fill in the blank) soup that makes my mouth water. And if you’re like me, you cannot tolerate heavy cream-based soups, so you go for the salad as a safe first course instead. Well, if you’re still having that cream of soup craving, I have the perfect non-dairy solution for you– red potatoes. Red potatoes are wonderfully waxy and when blended give a thick and creamy base consistency, perfect for your favorite cream-of-(whatever you want) soup.

In this case, I was craving mushroom soup, but a nice corn or pea could work well too with red potatoes, just do a bit of experimenting.

You can use any kind of mushroom you like. I love the thick steak-like texture of portobellos and had some Baby Bellas on hand. Did you know mushrooms are actually one of the few foods that contain vitamin D? They need to be exposed to the sun or UV light. Mushrooms are a good source of vitamin C, niacin, B-6, copper and selenium. They also have protective immune system properties, and a study in 2009 showed eating mushrooms daily reduced the chance of developing breast cancer in women by 45%. I love the way they taste sauteed.

This recipe is also gluten-free, soy-free and vegan. Choose to replace the cup of organic chicken broth with an organic vegetable broth.

Ingredients

10-20 Red Potatoes
2 Cups of Mushrooms (I used Baby Bella Portobello)
½ Cup dairy-free Soy-free organic spread, (Earth Balance, Spectrum)
2 Cup of Chicken stock or Vegetable stock
2-3 Cups of water, depending on your preference
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

Boil washed red potatoes with skin on until tender (about 20 min.) Drain most of the water out leaving about ½ cup of water and mash.
In a separate dutch oven, saute mushrooms in a tablespoon of Earth Balance or olive oil (7 min)
Add the mashed red potatoes into the mushrooms and add stock, salt and pepper.
Blend with immersible hand blender until smooth.
Attachments:

DF GF Cream of Mushroom Soup 12 Jan 2017 13:28 #10839

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
bump
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds