Forgot Password       
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Open to Public. Tell us a little about yourself, how you found us, your symptoms, what experiences you've had, or whatever you'd like.
  • Page:

TOPIC: New also...

New also... 31 Oct 2005 21:52 #1475

• Erinleigh
  • Erinleigh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, a friend refered me to this site. My name is Erin, I'm 31 and have been dealing w/ severe PMS - turned PMDD for about 3-4 years now (that I have been aware of).

It gets really bad at times. I was doing well w/ my diet and supplements, but have slacked off due to moving and this last bout was absolutely horrible. Part of it was that I wasn't expecting my period - I got it twice in one month. So this last month was a living hell.

I get extremely irrational and moody. I think horrible thoughts, my mind races, I can't stand who I am. I can find every fault in me and make it seem like I am the worst person on earth. I am very mean to my kids and say things that I regret. I even have gotten to a point where I don't want to live anymore.
And then I get my period and a day or so later - I feel great. My husband thought I might be bi-polar, but tracking when I get so depressed and anxious - it completely tied to my menstrual cycle.
It is very scary. I didn't have PMS until the birth of my second child. Not that I had noticed anyway.
I did have PPD after the birth of both of my children. Breastfeeding made it worse, even though they say it helps. I had to stop breastfeeding for my sanity, I wasn't getting any sleep.

I have a DR. appointment Wednesday - I hope they listen to me and I can get some blood tests done to check my hormone, thyroid and other levels. I'm kind hoping it is my thyroid (I have read it could be due to that), so I can take something and be rid of this nightmare I live every month. It is making my life miserable (and those around me).
I dont' feel like I will ever be able to work again because I just can't function for what is almost 2 weeks out of the month.

Sorry so long - but I'm glad to be here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New also... 31 Oct 2005 23:14 #1476

• Erinleigh
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Welcome Erin,

You will find lots of support here in your attempts at relief from PMDD. Many women are finding safe relief from severe symptoms with nutrition therapy. It's not unusual for symptoms to get so bad that we think thoughts we'd never dream of thinking at other times when not suffering from "that time of the month" Bi-polar is a very common misdiagnosis in women who suffer cyclically. PLEASE try the Cycle Diet first before you submit to any kind of drugs, unless you're are at your absolute wits end. Cognitive behavior therapy may be all you need.

It's also very common for women who have had several pregnancies to start to show more symptoms. You body has been through several highs and lows when it comes to the reproductive hormones. You may also be very low on the very nutrients that are leached through the placenta to support a growing fetus. Essential fatty acids and calcium are the first two you should think about immediately supplementing. You should also ask to have your vitamin D levels tested specifically 25-(OH)vitamin D.

One of the very first suggestions I can give you is to start charting your cycle immediately. Take as much written documentation about your symptoms: dates of symptoms, types of symptoms, start of menses and the length of your cycled. Most physicians need this documentation for a couple of cycles for PMDD diagnosis. Prospective charting should be acceptable when you talk with your doctor.

There are a couple good forms on this website to help you. Hopefully your physician will understand that PMDD is very complex and hypothyroidism is responsible for many symptoms. However nutrition therapy can sometimes improve thyroid conversions by lowering excess estrogen. Excess estrogen can block many of the thyroid functions through negative feedback pathways. Only blood testing will verify this.

Don't be surprised to be offered an assortment of SSRI's or antidepressants. SSRI's during the luteal phase are becoming more popular and offer some relief with a few side effects. Please look into side effects and withdrawal problems and information on any new drug therapy. A educated patient is listened to more than one that's completely ignorant.

Read as much as you can on this web site as well as my affiliate support board for what others have experienced.

And please don't hesitate to ask any questions about the Cycle diet as they come up.

Good Luck and please keep us posted on your appointment.

New also... 01 Nov 2005 02:46 #1477

• Erinleigh
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Erin. I think you'll find the help your looking for here. Deb is amazing, and IF you stick to her diet - You'll be surprised how good you can feel. We are all here for support when you need it - feel free to call on me whenever you need to vent. Good luck and best wishes!! javascript:emoticonjavascript:emoticon(':D') :D

New also... 01 Nov 2005 03:57 #1478

• Erinleigh
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the welcome....I have started reading...think it's going to take me a bit to grasp all this info. I think I will start with the charting. I'm sure I'll have questions along the way.

New also... 03 Nov 2005 18:22 #1479

• Erinleigh
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
You are NOT alone. Really. I love this site. I have been out of town so I have not posted in a while but this site is wonderful. You are not losing it and Debra is a really good support and is empathetic. PMS and PMDD are one of those things that you really have to experience yourself to understand and everyone here understands. I am just really starting this week (as my postoffice sat on the book for a while!) so let's see how this works!
Hang in there with the rest of us.
Chantal

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds