Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Open to Public. Tell us a little about yourself, how you found us, your symptoms, what experiences you've had, or whatever you'd like.

TOPIC: New

New 08 Nov 2006 14:13 #1574

• Ginny B
  • Ginny B's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Debra,
I found the site and went on the diet immediately. I have suffered from PMDD for a very long time (for ever since I got my period, as far as I can remember) it has had a tremendous toll on my life, and I am very hopeful, as I read explanations to many questions that I had asked but never got answers to, over these years, since I was diagnosed, five years ago so first and foremost:

Thank you for running this website!

I have a couple of questions about vitamin B6, is there a difference between vegetable B6 and animal B6 and what about V B6 which is produced during excersise? Is this what I have heard as "endorphins"...

And also, how much does caffeine limit the possibiliity of absorbing calcium. I have started on calcium tablets (my son is milk intolerant, and I dislike milk intensely)... but wonder whether having them with tea would affect their absorption.

Thank you for answering these questions

Ginny

New 08 Nov 2006 16:03 #1575

• Ginny B
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Ginny B,

Welcome to the Cycle Diet. You ask some very good questions.

First of all if you are avoiding milk or calcium source foods --due to your son's intolerance or allergy, it's a very good thing to take a calcium supplements (1,000-1,500mg a day) I recommend one that also includes vitamin D if you don't get outdoors to make it naturally. Your son also needs supplementation at a lower amount. You'll find recommended by age and sex RDAs listed in a link under Cycle Diet Support questions in the forum below this one.

Caffeine can reduce absorption a little- maybe 100mg per soda, coffee or tea, but you can reduce this by adding just a little amount of creamer to your coffee or tea.

There are slight differences in animal vs. plant B6. I've always had the understanding that whatever B6 is held inside animal protein is used during metabolizing the protein it's attached to. Additional B6 is also used in animal protein in order to break it down. Plant B6 doesn't have as much protein so B6 is more available. I'll see if i can find you a resource for that may help explain a little better.

Be sure and add a fish oil or flaxseed caplet as well.

Good luck with the diet and ask any questions you may have.

New 08 Nov 2006 18:28 #1576

• Ginny B
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Debra for your quick reply... yes the subject of V B6 is very confusing... but especially as I read that V B6 is routine treatment for PMS in some countries, its worth finding out. I read about it in some of the sites you had recommended to other posters.

I do know that since being on the diet, I have noticed that I feel less sleepy after the all vegetarian meal (I used to be terribly sleepy after meals)... and I feel great... I am still holding out for the next few days (I'm on day 21... argh!)... but I have a great feeling of being informed and positive about doing something for my own health.

I have had, and am on, this supplement that has Calcium, V D3, Magnesium and Zinc... 3 a day, but had stopped taking it, now I am back on, since I started the diet).

I also take homeopathic remedies (and this has had a good effect, not erased entirely, but works quite well as long as there is not too much stress around). I do this with homeopathic doctors, and they are wonderful

I will find out if those fish oil or flaxseed are available here (I live in South America, some things are hard to find)... Flaxseed I use to make bread with, but it's not the same, if not I'll just buy the flaxseed and grind it...

Thank you so much for your help.

Virginia

New 13 Nov 2006 18:03 #1577

• Ginny B
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Ginny,

Here's a very good link regarding vitamin B6 from the office of supplements here in the US.

dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/vitaminb6.asp

Be careful not to take too much B6. I always say it's best to get from foods.

Where in South America do you live? I'm sure you have a very wide range of wonderful fruits and vegetables and less processed foods, like we have here in the US. Good luck on the diet and please stay in touch.

New 20 Nov 2006 16:00 #1578

• Ginny B
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear Debra,

Thank you for your information on v B6. Yes, I was looking for dietary sources.

I live in Uruguay. I am not sure how to answer your question about food here...

On the one hand, yes I buy lentils and such things in bulk, it is not difficult to find the range of healthy food recommended in the diet (except for more complex soy products such as yoghurt or ice cream). The main difference in our food, however, is that having help at home means that I can afford to prepare more food from scratch. I can make bread and desserts and other things out of simple wholesome ingredients, which means that we all eat a healthier diet.

Buying organic, however is more complex. In the capital organic is available, but not here where I live... so I'm not too sure how we are doing in this respect.

Supplements are expensive (currently I am only buying Qualivits calcium magnesium citrate). I found out about the fish oil / flaxseed as you recommended, but it is too expensive... so I think I'm going to grind my own flaxseed (I'll have to check how much I have to take).

I am also happy to report that I have been on the "diet" (it's hard to call it a diet) for nearly a month, and I'm loving it. It only got a bit complicated when having to eat at friend's houses, but not too much. I went through one period already, and had no physical symptoms, and though I was a bit sad, I did not have concentration or anger symptoms. I am continuing with the plan, and will keep you posted of my progress.

Thanks for everything,

Virginia

New 20 Nov 2006 17:02 #1579

• Ginny B
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Ginny B,

What excellent news :D So glad to hear it!

Thanks so much for letting me know about your progress. I'm sorry to say I don't know much about Uruguay, but anything in South America sounds a bit exotic and exciting to me.

Organic here may have a different meaning than in Uruguay. Basically it means, no pesticides or herbicides used in growing the plant, or hormone free poultry and grass feed livestock. It also implies a clean ground. It can also mean non-genetically modified, but that's another subject entirely.

It sounds like you're doing very well on the "diet" plan. I don't like to refer to it as a diet because in many ways it's a lifestyle change.

Studies have shown that just getting the recommended calcium and vitamin D accounts for a little over half of the known symptoms related to PMS/PMDD.

If you get a good quantity of fatty fish (salmon, tuna, halibut, mackerel) you don't need to worry about the fish oil caplets. It's basically for those who don't or won't eat fish, or for those with signs of depression. Flaxseed is good too. Grind at least a cup at a time and refrigerate. The ALA's degrade fast when exposed to oxygen. Use about 1-2 Tbls. a day on cereal, soups, salads, side dishes like rice and breads. Anywhere you like.

Thanks again for your posts, I always love reading about women's success!!!

New 20 Nov 2006 17:35 #1580

• Ginny B
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Ginny,

Your English is great, is it your 1st language? I though Spanish was the language of Uruguay.

Just wondering.

new 28 Jul 2007 02:31 #1632

• catherine
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
and it's a really bad day.  I just don't know where to begin or what to do. 

new 28 Jul 2007 13:27 #1633

• catherine
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Catherine,

Welcome to the Cycle Diet Support board. I usually go through a series of questions with a new client in a consult, here are a few to think about:

1) Is there anyone in your family with an autoimmune disease or condition- What's autoimmune? Type 1 diabetes, autoimmune hypo-thyroid, Celiac, MS, Colitis, IBS, Crohn's, Lupus or wheat allergies? How about PCOS, do you have PCOS or have been diagnosed with any of the listed problems? How about unexplained iron deficiency?

2) How's your diet? Do you eat mostly processed foods or fast foods, or do you eat a pretty balanced diet with lots of fruits and vegetables, lean white meats and fish?

3) How's your elimination? Constant diarrhea or severe constipation or intermittent of both?

If there's an autoimmune problem in your family there's a very good chance you are also predisposed to a cascade of underlying problems that can disturb a healthy cycle. I'm finding women who suffer from severe symptoms with PMDD, and especially depression type symptoms may be also suffering from food sensitivities and in-particular gluten sensitivity.

If there isn't any type of autoimmune problem in your family and you know your diet isn't as good as it could be I would suggest you try the original Cycle Diet plan from menu suggestions from the website on your own or
order a workbook here.  

If you feel you have other medical problems or are predisposed to a possible underlying condition, I would suggest you talk to your family physican to look deeper into a possible autoimmune condition, malabsorption problem and vitamin or mineral deficiencies.

I'm available for consultation as well so please feel free to set up an appointment and I will help you as best I can on determining the correct route for you to take.

new 28 Jul 2007 14:05 #1634

• catherine
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
no one in my family has any of those.  I've had a history of low iron.  I eat healthy most of the time.  that's why I've lost 70 pounds. 
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds