Forgot Password       
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss topics concerning pregnancy, fertility and reproductive issues. Registered members only
  • Page:

TOPIC: Charting your cycle question

Charting your cycle question 26 Jan 2006 06:58 #8740

• Blue
  • Blue's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
[quote:dbea3506e0][i:dbea3506e0]"The green is the follicular phase, the pink is the luteal phase the deep pink color is when estrogen and progesterone are at their highest levels when most PMS symptoms are experienced."[/[/quote:dbea3506e0]i][/i:dbea3506e0]

I am on Day 5 of my cycle and feel terrible. Weepy, black cloud, very PMS. But I have just finished my period. You had suggested earlier that I may be peri menopause due to the shortness of my cycle, 20 and 21 days.

My question is do you think I am low on Estrogen or progesterone?
I have been following the cycle diet and feel some relief with night sweats and insomnia, but all of the other symptoms remain. I have been following the diet fairly well for 1 and 1/2 cycles.[i:dbea3506e0][/i:dbea3506e0]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charting your cycle question 26 Jan 2006 15:40 #8741

• Blue
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Blue,

If you're still feeling bad on day 5 you may be very low on both estrogen and progesterone. However your progesterone should be low on day 5. Your cycle is so short, but if you've only been following the diet for 1 and 1/2 cycles of a 20 day cycle that works out to approximately only 28 days.
That's really a very good start, but you should give yourself a while longer. 30 days is the average for 1 cycle.

I really don't think you're ovulating, which means your progesterone is very low when it should increase during the luteal phase.

Are you taking your calcium and vitamin D? One other thing I would suggest is that you have your doctor test your hormones to make sure there isn't something else going on there.

You may also talk with your doctor about progesterone cream or suppositories. Research has shown that progesterone doesn't really help for PMS or PMDD, but may help for someone who's not ovulating.

Have you considered doing a LH home ovulation test? Sometimes you can figure out if LH is surging at day 13, 14. In your case you might want to start testing at day 10 or 11. You can also try to chart basal body temperature. Your body temp spikes at ovulation. If you don't see a spike the chance is you are not ovulating.

I may have already suggested these things to you. How long has your cycle been so short? Have you had children?

One other thing to think about, how stressful is your life right now?

Charting your cycle question 27 Jan 2006 01:25 #8742

• Blue
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Yes I am taking 1000 mg of Calcium from Calcium Carbonate & Citrate. It is labeled as [i:50318ab411]Calcium and Magnesium Softgel with Vitamin D and Zinc. Brand NOW.[/i:50318ab411] I am also taking Vitamin D3 400 iu cholecalciferol. What does cholecalciferol mean?

I have never had children, and I wasn't tracking my period before, but it was usually every 4 weeks, and seems that lately it has been shorter. My life is relatively stressful with work and helping to care for my Mother in Law who has Parkinson's, but not too stressful.

I have an appointment with a gynecologist, February 2nd, and I will be sure to ask about progesterone. If you have any other questions you think I should ask, please let me know.
Thanks for your assistance,
Sincerely, Dawn

Charting your cycle question 27 Jan 2006 03:17 #8743

• Blue
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Dawn,

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your Mother-in-law and I would say it does sound like you're under a lot of stress which may also contribute to your symptoms.

Cholecalciferol is in my opinion the better form of vitamin D to take as a supplement especially in those who are deficient.

The first question I would ask your doctor is if you are perimenopausal. She/he should check your hormone levels. It would be a very good idea to take a written document of your cycle. Day you started, symptoms etc. This will help her and she will more than likely take your word for whatever you say since you have a written record.

I would definately ask for a vitamin D test, you may have to put up an argument to have this done. Make sure it's for 25(OH)vitamin D, this is the inactive form which is a better indication of your D status. Since you're taking the active form as a supplement you should show normal for 1,25(OH)vitamin D3.

Please let me know how things go with your OBGYN. I hope you're going to one who's knowlegeable otherwise don't worry you may need to talk to a couple different doctors before you find a good one.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds