Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss topics concerning pregnancy, fertility and reproductive issues. Registered members only
  • Page:

TOPIC: I need HOW much Protein while pregnant??

I need HOW much Protein while pregnant?? 22 Nov 2007 14:48 #8765

• lzalvis
  • lzalvis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The only pregnancy-related book I've read so far (and I've been very proud of myself), was a 'What to Eat When You're Expecting'.  It was interesting and helpful.  However, they give you these 'Daily Dozen' to eat ideally, and there is NO way I would get all that food into my diet!!  I"m supposed to get 65-70 gm of protein a DAY!  :shock: I just don't have that kind of appetite, even by eating 6 small times a day. I'd be eating protein all day long - how would my little stomach have room for all the fruits, veggies, and grains etc I'm also supposed to eat??  And wouldn't I put on like 200 lbs???  Looking at my diet from yesterday, I got 16gm protein at breakfast with my smoothie, ? from my homemade cheese & veggie calzone for lunch, 12 from my dinner sandwich, and I had some nuts for a snack.  That's about it.  Nowhere near!!

I try to focus on what fruits/veggie I'll get in a meal first, because that was always my weakest point.  But now, I see that I"ll need to focus more on that, too - do some fruit/veggie juices count?  If I pick the GOOD ones, and not the useless, corn syrup kind?

I am totally and completely overwhelmed right now.    I'm focusing on 6 small 'meals' a day, so my baby can eat more often since it is growing 24 hours a day :)  But otherwise - overwhelmed, totally and completely.  I thought I had a good diet, but now.....:shock:

I need HOW much Protein while pregnant?? 22 Nov 2007 16:21 #8766

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Calm down my friend, you're probably getting more protein than you think.

First off there is protein in many foods, not just meat, but you could add an extra ounce of chicken, turkey or fish here and there without any problem and get all the protein you're going to need.:)

I do agree, the 50-70grams of protein is not hard for even someone with a small appetite.

Lets look at your smoothie. I bet it has a little more protein then 16 gram. Are you still doing the revival? It has 20 grams alone and if you add a cup of milk you add another 8 grams.

Just 1 serving of 4oz of chicken breast has 35 grams of protein, if you eat 6 oz you'll get 53 grams....the minimum daily protein requirements.

1 egg contains 7grams so if you hard boil some or add grated egg to salads with a little low fat cheese you can add approximately 10 grams of protein.

There's also protein in grains (even the GF ones) and beans. 1 cup of green beans contain 3 grams of protein.

I'll post a list of GF grains you might want to know the protein content of. Okay. Don't worry so much, you'll be fine and I'll help you with anything you might want to know about.

1/4 cup of Almonds also contain 7 grams of protein, not bad. You probably ate 50-60 grams of protein yesterday, depending on how much cheese was on your sandwich. You're bread probably added another 6-7 grams.

I need HOW much Protein while pregnant?? 23 Nov 2007 18:18 #8767

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Here's the protein content in some GF Seeds & grains you may also be interested in:

From Shelly Cases's The Gluten Free Diet

Highest to Lowest (grams per 1 cup serving)

Flax Seed  30.7gm
Amaranth  28,2 gm
Wild Rice  23.6
Quinoa  23.3 gm
Millet  22.0
Teff  21.8
Sorghum  21.7
Buckwheat Groats (roasted, dry)  19.2
Sesame Seeds (kernels, dried, decorticated) 17.4
Rice (White, long grain, parboiled, enriched)  15.2
Rice (brown, long grain  14.7
Sunflower seeds (hulled kernels, dry roasted) 14.2
Pumpkin Seeds (kernel, dried)  5.4

Flours you may be interested in (grams/cup):

Buckwheat Bran flour  49.0gm
Soy Flour (defatted)  47.0
Garfava Flour  34.9
Pea Flour (Golden)  30.4 gm
Montina Flour  25.5
Almond Flour  23.6
Garbanzo Bean (Chickpea) flour 23.2
Amaranth Flour (Almond meal)  19.5
Teff Flour  15.7
Sorghum Flour  15.4
Buckwheat Flour (whole groat)  15.1
Quinoa Flour 14.7

I need HOW much Protein while pregnant?? 22 Oct 2009 19:40 #8768

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
bump, just because I like this discussion.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds