Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss topics concerning pregnancy, fertility and reproductive issues. Registered members only

TOPIC: Pregnant!!!!!!

Pregnant!!!!!! 13 Nov 2007 18:19 #8777

• lzalvis
  • lzalvis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok, so apparently I jumped the gun when I said I wasn't pregnant.  I had spotting at 9 days post ovulation, and thought my period was coming.  Well, it stopped, and my breast tenderness got better, and NO sign of PMS in sight as the days went on.....I tested today at 14 days post ovulation, and 2 lines right away!!!!!

SOOOoooo....I obviously cannot tell anyone yet, which means I cannot ask questions!!  I called my Dr's office, and I see her on 12/3.  But in the meantime, what do I do, not do??  Eating, vitamins, exercise??  I know to STAY on the cycle diet - although I've had less appetite and some nausea the past few days :-) 

Aaaaahhh!!!!

Pregnant!!!!!! 13 Nov 2007 20:26 #8778

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Okay, calm down for a second............

OMG....CONGRATULATIONS, now be calm.......OMG....OMG

Well I think I'm going to fall off my chair so okay what can you do? Keep doing what you've been doing except for a couple of things now:

1) Limit your large fish intake to 2 times a week, I know now you've really got to be concerned about tuna and farmed salmon because of the mercury content. I have a link to the USDA fisheries somewhere....don't worry I'll find it. Make sure your omega 3s are tested by a 3rd party lab for mercury. What brand are you taking?

2) NO HERBS OR ROOTs plants we don't know much about.

3) Understand that your body is going to go into hyper hormone production and you're going to want to sleep a lot, this is normal.

4) You'll want to stay calm and do some reading about what to expect in pregnancy. There's a book called "what to expect", I've purchased it for many friends myself.

Such good news, please let me know if there's anything I can help with while you're going along.

Congratulations again!!!

Pregnant!!!!!! 13 Nov 2007 21:16 #8779

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
yes, OMG is right!!

1) don't worry, I don't eat those kinds of fish because you told me not to :)My fish oil capsules are Berkely & Jensen brand, I got at Costco.  The label says 'USP certified', but no statement about being tested by a third lab for mercury.  Should I get some other fish oil?  How do I know it's OK?

2) no, no herbs, roots, tree bark, etc.  :)

3) Good grief, I didn't think it was possible for me to sleep anymore than I already do.  I do love my sleep.  (that'll change in about 9 months, huh?)

4) Calm, right, calm, OK......

One more thing - aren't I supposed to increase my calcium intake?  Right now, I take 1,500mg Calcium in vitamins daily. 

Pregnant!!!!!! 13 Nov 2007 21:25 #8780

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Laura,

USP is a third party verifier...:) so good, it should also say somewhere on the label that it's also been tested for mercury content...or something to the effect of cleated, meaning the heavy metals have been removed. You may want to look into Carlson fish oil...there's a link to Carlson's website here somewhere...but here's a link to the Mother's DHA by Carlson

1,500mg is good as a supplement to your diet. You're probably getting a good amount of calcium in many of the foods you're eating..such as Salmon, spinach, yogurt, soy(if it's fortified).

Oh, one little precaution....start lightly cooking your spinach and rinse your fresh lettuces really really well, even the organic leaf lettuce due to e-coili. The other thing you can do is microwave your lettuce for a few seconds...yes it'll wilt it slightly, but it will also reduce any bacteria count down that might be left from rinsing.

You don't have to do these things all of the time, only when you're at home. Mother nature is going to keep you from eating anything that might carry a harmful bacteria, which is why you may have many food aversions in the first trimester when the fetus is most vulnerable. :D

Pregnant!!!!!! 13 Nov 2007 21:29 #8781

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Oh, I just did a little calculating....Ahhh, a May baby, my favorite month because I'm also a May baby.:D

Pregnant!!!!!! 13 Nov 2007 22:19 #8782

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Weell, I"m not sure I"m getting enough calcium in my diet, I haven't had a great appetite the past few days.  If I don't get much in a given day, should I take an extra calcium? 

Also - I was posting earlier on the whole soy thing.  I'd been holding myself back on it, not having any for the past week or so.  But I DO love it as a source of protein for myself.  Is it OK for me to keep eating/drinking soy products now that I'm pregnant?

I only buy organic baby lettuce from Whole Foods - I still need to rinse that?  Of course, I did get some homegrown lettuce again this fall :-) 

One more thing - I generally spot for a couple days before my period, and I have heard that this can mean low progesterone, and thus a higher chance of miscarriages.  so of course, I have a paranoia right now about progesterone levels.  Is there a way with my diet to 'increase' available progesterone?  I believe soy is an anti-estrogen, and it certainly did the trick regulating me this cycle (see above question). 

As for a due date, I use fertility software (yes, I'm that anal) so I know exactly when I ovulated.  Thus, it predicts my due date at 7/22/08. 

Pregnant!!!!!! 13 Nov 2007 22:49 #8783

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
As far as the calcium, yes you can take a little more if you're not eating much- no problem....let's see I have to check my chart for pregnancy... UL is 2,500 mg's so no not a problem if you want to go a little higher but don't go any higher the 2,500mg, just remember magnesium needs to also be somewhat balance with calcium so if you're taking too much calcium you may be blocking the absorption of other minerals, which is why sometimes getting your calcium from food is better than just taking a supplement.

Here's a link to the PDF reference charts for (RDA's, DRI's and UL)  you'll want to print it out to read a little better and as a reference. There's a section for pregnancy.

Soy is ok, again don't go overboard on it...1 serving a day is fine.

Sorry about my calculations...I was counting on my hands and started last month to begin with and stopped too soon.  Oops...I also like July babies. It turns out babies who are born in the summer and late summer have better vitamin D levels because Mom is out in the sun while pregnant. In your case your baby is going to be getting enough vitamin D through supplements.

Pregnant!!!!!! 13 Nov 2007 22:54 #8784

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I was at the GI Dr. this morning (before I took the Pg test), and she said all the results from my GI tests were good (small bowel series & endoscopy).  I'm doing a good job on my gluten free diet!

I also asked her to draw some vitamin levels that might be off, since my Vit. D was; so she drew a B panel, C, and maybe some other things.  I"ll let you know results when I get them!

Pregnant!!!!!! 13 Nov 2007 23:39 #8785

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Great! good news...it's so helpful to have an understanding doctor and now it's even more important you know where you stand.:)

Pregnant!!!!!! 14 Nov 2007 14:25 #8786

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi lzalvis,

I just wanted to say congratulation and good luck on your pregnancy.
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds