Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss topics concerning pregnancy, fertility and reproductive issues. Registered members only

TOPIC: Pregnant!!!!!!

Pregnant!!!!!! 29 Jul 2008 01:00 #8776

• lzalvis
  • lzalvis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Laura,

A big Congratulation on the birth of a healthy little girl!! Ahhhhh Sarah Claire, I love that name, what a beautiful name. Luck girl! Now don't worry yourself, baby blues are very common and no one is going to hold it against you if you need a little medication to get thing under control.

The only advice I can give you right now is to not forget the fish oil with DHA, and EPA. You're going to need it more now that you're breastfeeding. You'll not only help replace what you lose, but it will also ensure a healthy amount of good fats for little Sarah Claire. Oh, and there are benefits to breastfeeding and postpartum depression, it stops you from having a regular period. :) 

Hang tough, it'll take a bit to recuperate, but you're going to be just fine.

Pregnant!!!!!! 29 Jul 2008 20:04 #8806

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I just got back to my MVI yesterday (they wanted me to wait until I had a BM - ouch).  So, how many Fish Oil caplets should I take per day? 

Pregnant!!!!!! 29 Jul 2008 20:15 #8807

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I'd probably take 2 (1,000 IU's for a total of 2,000IU's) that's a safe amount with food and your vit. D if you're taking it this summer. Are you able to get outdoors a bit? Sorry about the BM ouch, is it because of your stiches? Sorry about that. I'm in sympathy pain :D...bare with my attempt at a little humor.

Pregnant!!!!!! 31 Jul 2008 19:25 #8808

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
One question re: the fish oil - do they still have to be '3rd party certified mercury free'?  If so, then I need to go get some more.  If not, I have a ton of them I can start using. 

Are there any other dietary supplements that might help this depression?  I was planning on still taking: MVI, Calcium (as needed), 1 Vitamin D, & the fish oil daily. 

I took Sarah for her first peds. visit today, and mentioned the depression, and told her about my PMDD experience, including that I needed to start with a few months of Prozac before diet took effect.  She said that the first week or 2, it's hard to know if it's regular 'baby blues' or  the more serious PPD.  But that I should call my OB, which I will try to remember to do :?

Pregnant!!!!!! 31 Jul 2008 19:54 #8809

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
YES, they need to be mercury free, especially if you're breastfeeding. So get some that you know are 100% mercury free. You may also consider the algae DHA variety. See this post. I think they're a little more expensive but I've recommended them before to vegetarians.

Carlson brand also carries a safe Norwegian fish oil. They test it themselves as well. I think I would trust them for sure.

As far as how to get out of the depression...are you able to exercise yet? If not, get yourself some dumb-bells- 3-5 pounds and start lifting them while your just sitting around- this will help you develop your arm muscles necessary for carrying your precious little girl around. Lifting Sarah as she gains weight will help too. This helps your muscles clear those branch chain amino acids out of your blood stream. If you can do any kind of leg lifts all the better...this not only will help your abdomen muscles tighten up but do the same thing with the branch chain amino acids. They interfere with tryptophan uptake in the brain to produce more serotonin. There's also 5-HTP the precursor to serotonin BUT I'm not sure adding more single amino's will really help. It takes a bit for your body to readjust. Those high hormone levels really put stress on the whole system. You might want to start meditating. I've read that meditation can pull you out of depression quickly.

Also...the old standbys...rent comedies, lots of comedies. Laughter also releases those feel good hormones. Have you seen Mama Mia yet...it's the feel good film of the year.

Pregnant!!!!!! 11 Sep 2008 01:05 #8810

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Just wanted to report that I am doing much better :)  I started feeling better after week 2, which is also when I was alone with Sarah for the first time.  We got out for a walk everyday, and I would drive us on some little errand everyday. 

And of course, trying to stay on the diet as best I can, and taking my vitamins and supplements.  I could get back to the gym after my 4-week check up a couple weeks ago, which I did.  So I"m down to only 11 lbs to lose!  Woo-hoo! 

Pregnant!!!!!! 11 Sep 2008 01:49 #8811

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Such great news Laura, I'm so happy to hear it. Good luck with those 11 pounds....do you want me to send you the weight loss plan? :D

Pregnant!!!!!! 11 Sep 2008 13:37 #8812

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Sure I'd take a look at the weight loss plan :)  Of course, since I"m breastfeeding, I don't have periods and/or don't know when I will get them again.  So I"m kind of following the general plan at the moment.  And unfortunately, I think my eating beans or broccoli gives her more gas (and she's gassy enough as it is) :P  I'll try them again every few weeks, because I looooove broccoli, and can't pass up my fall chili!!

Also, I will add that I likely will not be doing exact measurements of the plan.  What are the basic differences between the regular plan and the weight loss plan?  I need to make sure I"m consuming a few extra calories because of the breastfeeding, right?

Pregnant!!!!!! 11 Sep 2008 15:05 #8813

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Okay forget about the weight-loss plan....it's just the same plan with smaller portions.

Yes, you'll be burning more calories breastfeeding so if you eat normally you'll burn those extra pounds off fairly fast. The weight-loss plan may be too few calories if you're breastfeeding (1,200). I think you should just follow the follicular plan or your own follicular phase plan now that I think about it a bit more.  :D Did I ever share the RDA's DRI's for pregnancy and lactating women?

See this link: http://www.iom.edu/Object.File/Master/21/372/0.pdf

look towards the bottom of the chart

Pregnant!!!!!! 13 Oct 2008 03:11 #8814

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
So, I have kind of a strange question, and not sure if you will know the answer.  My sweet baby is 2 1/2 months old and breastfeeding is going great!!  I go back to work part-time next week :( so will have to pump a few days of the week.  Not sure if my supply will be affected, but my goal is to breastfeed until at least 6 months.  But at some point, she will likely be switched to formula, even if only for a few months. 

Is there a difference in name-brand versus generic formulas? (this is assuming she does not exhibit a milk allergy).  Finances might play a role here.  But if one is really superior for her, we will try to use it.

Thanks!
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds