Forgot Password       
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss topics concerning pregnancy, fertility and reproductive issues. Registered members only

TOPIC: Pregnant!!!!!!

Pregnant!!!!!! 13 Oct 2008 11:10 #8815

• lzalvis
  • lzalvis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Although I'm not an expert on baby formula brands.....I remember from school that it's important to purchase the brands that include DHA and ARA fatty acids for eye and brain development, which many more are offer now than ever before. While I was in school some had just started adding them. Most commercial baby formulas are verified by a third party for protein, carb, fat, vit. and min. content just like many vitamin and minerals. (I would stay away from anything generic due to the problems of imported ingredients)

Here's what Mayo Clinic has to say about baby formula....check out the links at the bottom of the article too for other helpful links.

Here's an article from the American Family Physicians about infant formula and a primer on what to do if your baby is fussy.

FDA article ....a little old though, but a reminder of counterfeit formula.

Is there anyone out there that has had a good experience with low cost or cost savings on baby formula who would like to chim in here?

I just googled baby formula coupons and several sites came up...

here's an interesting one called  Mom's View, Free Baby stuff

And a blog on http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/freebies.htm baby food and  free baby stuff....looks interesting but always be aware these sites are looking for your click throughs and e-mail sign up...it's all marketing you know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pregnant!!!!!! 15 Oct 2008 21:44 #8816

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hm, OK, I totally would have bought generic (Kroger brand, Walmart brand, etc.).  But you're saying to stick with a name brand like Enfamil or Similac? 

Pregnant!!!!!! 15 Oct 2008 22:28 #8817

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
[user=128]lzalvis[/user] wrote:

Hm, OK, I totally would have bought generic (Kroger brand, Walmart brand, etc.).  But you're saying to stick with a name brand like Enfamil or Similac? 

I think I would contact Kroger and Walmart and ask WHO manufacturers the formula for them, if it's by someone you know than great....if it's made in China or outside the US, than forget it...(this is my opinion) let me remind you of this ...in case you missed it on the news regarding the baby formula and milk products in China.

Laura, I'll be going to the ADA Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo in Chicago in a couple of weeks (Oct 24-27th) and will talk with a baby formula expert and get more info for you, okay?

Pregnant!!!!!! 30 Oct 2008 20:02 #8818

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Laura,

Well, I talked with all the baby formula manufactures at the Expo, but not one really knew anything about who's manufacturing for private labels like Kroger or Wal-mart. All baby formula is regulated by FDA, but any more you know how that goes. I am curious so I think I'll write a note to Wal-mart and find out who makes their formula...or better yet I've got to go buy some candy for tonight and will read the label and get a phone #. Anyway.....Most baby formulas should be gluten free, and Mead Johnson (Enfamil) makes a variety of lactose free, dairy free with what ever kinds of fatty acid profile you may want...however I'm sure they're expensive. They gave me a couple 5.00 off coupons if you want to e-mail me your address, I'll stick in the mail to you, in case you want to go that way. The reps kept saying....breast feed as long as you can to save $$.

I sat through a fabuloso (Italian for fabulous) presentation by one of the top pediatric Celiac researchers in the US at the University of Chicagco - Dr. Stefano Guandalini and he talked a little about the ages of when celiac immerges. The most common age is approximately 2.5 years and then again at between 30-45 years but it was very very interesting how you can actually change or delay celiac development by breast feeding as long as possible and by delaying the introduction of gluten to your baby. So if you wait a very long time...over a year or more you could save your child from developing it or developing "Classic" celiac.

You're aware there are several forms of Celiac right?

Pregnant!!!!!! 30 Oct 2008 20:35 #8819

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
so, to delay a possible gluten-problem for her, breastfeed as long as possible....I was planning on 6 months.  And also to delay introducing gluten foods to her until after a year? 

What forms of Celiac are there?  I know that technically I'm just 'gluten intolerant', since I was never officially diagnosed with Celiac.  But I don't know the technicalities between them.

Pregnant!!!!!! 30 Oct 2008 21:50 #8820

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Okay, was wondering about that....I think half of all Celiacs aren't biopsy diagnosed anyway. Here's are the official definitions of Celiac:

Classic Celiac Disease
  GI stress, diarrhea, constipation, malabsorption, wasting, positive serological testing, biopsy evidence of villous atrophy and improvement on gluten-free diet

Atypical Celiac
  Few gastrointestinal symptoms but positive serological testing and biopsy.

Silent Celiac
  No apparent symptoms, may have positive serological or biopsy but are usually looking for “other” medical conditions.

Latent Celiac
  Positive serology but no inflammation or villous atrophy on biopsy. Asymptomatic, but may develop symptoms and/or histological changes

And unofficially there's Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity, negative blood serology, with the exception of IgA or IgG antigliadin (AGA) or a positive IgA antigliadin stool test and negative biopsy.

Pregnant!!!!!! 31 Oct 2008 21:45 #8821

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
OK, I don't know that I fall into ANY of those categories.  6 years ago, I had: GI stress, diarrhea, constipation.....then was randomly diagnosed by blood test by a PA (my GI docs never caught it).....had improvement on gluten-free diet.  But I was *never* biopsied as part of my diagnosis.  So, I was told to say I"m 'gluten intolerant'. 

Last year, before I got pregnant, I was worked up by a GI doc.  I had the endoscopy which was beautifully clean - but I was still on the gluten free diet!!  So, we don't really know if  A) I do a good diet or B) I"m not actually gluten intolerant. ?? :?

Pregnant!!!!!! 31 Oct 2008 23:34 #8822

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

My presentation to the Central Iowa Dietitic association on Monday is about Non-Celiac gluten sensitivity. There are MORE people who test negative for celiac but still have an immune response to gluten. All you need is a positive IgA or IgG antigliadin antibody to be gluten sensitive. It's not celiac disease but gluten sensitivity all the same. You still have to avoid gluten 100% of the time.

Sometimes, people can go years.....and years.....before they test positive for celiac disease that they start developing other autoimmune disease.

Time to create page: 1.268 seconds