Forgot Password       
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss topics concerning pregnancy, fertility and reproductive issues. Registered members only
  • Page:

TOPIC: CD & Hypothalmic ammenorhea

CD & Hypothalmic ammenorhea 21 Mar 2008 20:40 #8866

• southern~belle
  • southern~belle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all! First it is a blessing to come across this site! Both my husband and I have celiac disease. I have been undergoing infertility testing and treatment since january. A year and a half prior to 2008 I went off the bcp in our hopes to concieve our first little one. My cycle never returned. When I was in my teens I lost my cycle (which was irregular to begin with), docs put me on bcp to regulate and here I am now. I suffered from CD siliently all my childhood with misdiagnosis of IBS... It was until age 20 that I was diagosed with CD. My husband had a rare skin problem..dermatitis herpatiformis.. the doctors had no reasoning why. He too also suffered from GI distress and food allergies. Not to my surprise he also has CD.

My question is, how strong a correlation is there between CD and infertility? ive been diagnosed with hypothalmic ammenorhea and my hormones are all very low (estrogen, lh, fsh) TSH was normal (0.6). 

Blessings to all! :)

~ SB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CD & Hypothalmic ammenorhea 22 Mar 2008 01:39 #8867

• southern~belle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Welcome Southern-Belle :), it's so nice to have you stop by and post. Sorry about the delay in my reply...I've been traveling and am now at home.

Unfortunately infertility can be a problem in some woman with CD, BUT you should recover as long as you are 100% gluten-free and pay attention to a healthy diet. I have lots of research articles inside the gluten-free forums regarding fertility and CD.

You might also consider having some of your nutrient levels in both you and your husband tested by a very understanding and knowledgeable endocrinologist.... (folate, b12, vitamin D, K, B6 and iron) Calcium, magnesium can also be low in those with CD. Some newish research is tying vitamin D status with the development of a viable follicle.

Thank you for your post, I hope to hear more about your quest to become pregnant....please understand if you and your husband are successful, that your children will carry the genetics of CD from both sides of the family and no doubt will develop CD as well...but I'm sure you've thought that one through already.

CD & Hypothalmic ammenorhea 26 Mar 2008 13:49 #8868

• southern~belle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Southern-Bell,

I just wanted to say all the best to you in your quest to become pregnant. It seems to me there are a couple of women with celiacs or gluten sensitivity here that have become pregnant following the Cycle diet, so good luck, and let us know how you're doing.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds