Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss topics concerning pregnancy, fertility and reproductive issues. Registered members only
  • Page:

TOPIC: PPD and Diet

PPD and Diet 10 Dec 2009 13:20 #8893

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
I received this very nice e-mail yesterday from Mindee in Arizona and thought I'd share it here:

Debra,

Your diet helped me a GREAT DEAL after the birth of my third baby and a bout with postpartum depression. It helped me get off antidepressants after 6 months. My question is: Would you have any diet plans for pregnancy if I was thinking about getting pregnant again? I don't want to go through what I did the last time. I want another baby, but am not sure I want to go through postpartum again. Thanks! Mindee

My reply;

Hi Mindee,

Yes, the Cycle Diet follicular phase plan would be good for pregnancy too, as long as you take into consideration any food allergies or intolerances that may need to be addressed. You’ll also want to talk with your doctor about taking a prenatal vitamin (it has extra folic acid) along with around 2-3 grams of fish oil a day for the essential EPA, DHA fatty acids verses just the flax oil. A little flax oil would also be good but the most important thing is EPA, DHA and don't forget the calcium. Eating a wide variety of organic foods is best, You might also check out the local farmer's market which may offer a bit of a cost savings verses the grocery store and talk with the producer and ask how the crops were raised. Stay away from pesticides, herbicides or heavy fertilizers.

Avoid eating much tuna- no more than once a week due to the mercury content, as well as king mackerel, tile fish, shark and albacore tuna all together. I would also stick with wild Alaskan Salmon if you can find it verses farmed Atlantic. If you live near a Costco, check there for wild Alaskan Salmon. Costco also carries a wide array of frozen organic vegetables.

Most expectant mothers need only an extra 300 calories a day once they enter their 3rd trimester. If the expectant mother is obese calories may be held at normal levels to avoid further weight gain. Your doctor or OB will advise what's best for your situation.

Thanks for your e-mail and I’m glad to be of help however I can.  
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds